+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: pvp is kinda pointless

Soulwalker

Default pvp is kinda pointless

prob is that after i get all the pvp gear there is no reason to pvp anymore due to a lack of a true pvp zone that gives rewards for holding the zone...example DAOC/WAR, might wanna consider including something like this if you want any subcrsibers after GW2 comes out..not to be rude but come on...lets face the facts...pvpers are bored with wfs/sc/bg/whatever else you wanna call em...its repetative as all hell lets do an open world area with pvp for the hell of killing some guys and maybe holding a castle or a point of some sort cause thats what MMOS are all about IMO. Ofrcourse i could be old and stuck in my ways but thats what would make me pay for the game for a long time.

"Kinda"

Lol..........

Your friendly hipster.
    http://rainygameslol.tumblr.com/

Is this another arena thread?

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

For the 1000th time....

Yeah...pretty much....

One of the problems is that everything is instanced. You can roam maps for hours and only see a handful of players...because they are all in instances or waiting in qeue for instances.

All these big, beautiful maps just going to waste.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

No, PvP *is* pointless. And I have enjoyed pointlessly pummeling my online opponent into the ground since 1999. You either love the sport of it or you don't.
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-17-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

WAR sucked, and everything at the end of it all is kinda pointless. Welcome to life.

Also open world is just as repetitive. Fight over the same keep over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
    Last edited by Credo; 04-17-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Even free cost too much now

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    No, PvP *is* pointless. And I have enjoyed pointlessly pummeling my online opponent into the ground since 1999. You either love the sport of it or you don't.
    With your mention of 1999 you must be referencing other games and in most of the other MMOs the point of PvPing was to take the other person's equipment. Which is a much bigger "point" than Rift PvP offers.
    No I am not saying that Rift should become a full loot game but lots of people point towards other games that had good PvP and were like "they didn't need to give you something to go out and PvP" when they miss what one of the biggest driving factors of PvP were in those games.

Rift's PvP is much more like an FPS than MMO PvP.
    Last edited by Seether; 04-17-2012 at 10:35 AM.

I have not played WoW in a long time but I used to love the Tauren Mill PVP battles. That was a lot of fun. I wish Rift would incorporate or encourage some kind of open map PVP like that. I am new to the game but it sounds like not much going on outside of instances for PVP.

Default Basketball is pointless...same darn "map" every game

They really need new types of courts and rules for basketball. I mean, they've been repetitively playing on the same simple two-basket square for decades!

Oaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jural View Post
    They really need new types of courts and rules for basketball. I mean, they've been repetitively playing on the same simple two-basket square for decades!
    Sports have seasons to determine which teams go to the playoffs, and then have playoffs to determine a winner. This is not the same as a random team instanced WF where in 15 minutes it makes no difference if I AFKed in the spawn or smashed bads and went 35-0.
    Last edited by Oaf; 04-17-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Honorary member of The Fallen Sons and Terrible Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf View Post
    Sports have seasons to determine which teams go to the playoffs, and then have playoffs to determine a winner. This is not the same as a random team instanced WF where in 15 minutes it makes no difference if I AFKed in the spawn or smashed bads and went 35-0.
    So you've never gone to the gym and played a pick up game I take it?

Oaf

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    So you've never gone to the gym and played a pick up game I take it?
    You mean a "kinda pointless" game just like the OP is talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf View Post
    You mean a "kinda pointless" game just like the OP is talking about?
    So the NBA/WNBA isn't pointless?

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    With your mention of 1999 you must be referencing other games and in most of the other MMOs the point of PvPing was to take the other person's equipment. Which is a much bigger "point" than Rift PvP offers.
    No I am not saying that Rift should become a full loot game but lots of people point towards other games that had good PvP and were like "they didn't need to give you something to go out and PvP" when they miss what one of the biggest driving factors of PvP were in those games.

Rift's PvP is much more like an FPS than MMO PvP.
    I mostly meant when Quake 3 released in 1999 I did some Q2 couple years prior. I did those form ~1998 - 2007. Thats when (imo) FPS went down the drain so I tried the whole mmo thing.

MMO's thrive off incentive, they all do, and all their player bases want it. FPS have nothing to do with incentive. for 9 years I didn't get any class variation, I had 9 guns - 3 particular favs that I used for probably 75% of that near decade. I enjoyed it though. We had access to well over 20 maps, but everyone mostly played probably a handful of 5. The infamous 'map11' I know I would play for weeks it felt like.

This game is nothing close to FPS really, FPS are too simple. There is no reward. There is no class variation. You don't get any edges unless you think outside the box strategy wise. Depending on the mod, there is no healing. 100/100, when it's gone, it's gone till next round. These are where scoreboards that displayed damage mattered, far more than 'kill shots'. It's just instant gaming to go - I can quit for a year and not be 'behind' in any sense other than my coordination for the game will be a little muddy. Rift is far into the MMO deepend of the pool. I really don't see any parallels between rift and FPS. Even new FPS try to appear to the whole 'incentive' crap. Call of Duty with its 'rank' ups, and you get these special perks. People demand so much out of games seems to be the public message. Why I still hit up Quakelive time to time - it's still got the old soul of the 1999 game. Nothing to it. Log in, aim, kill, win, done. That's my favorite pvp.

With that being said, even sitting at r40 for months, there is still way more incentive just screaming at all directions still. Everything produces a reward. For almost a decade I just played because versing opponents was fun - zero reward or anything to show for it but memories and old demos. (and some quakecons ^.^)

MMO's will always give out incentive to pvp. But I mean, the pvp'ing in itself, it is pointless but for me it never needed a point. Infact, I never could figure out the point the whole way along. It was just fun. I could play blackgarden for years. New maps are cool, but it and codex are probably going to be lasting enjoyable maps for me as far as rift goes.
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-17-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Oaf

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    So the NBA/WNBA isn't pointless?
    With the NBA the fans pay for entertainment, people support their favorite team, kids idolize to their favorite players, star players become celebrities, good players can make 10s of millions of dollars per year + endorsements, and they can have sex with just about any women they want... so I would say the NBA is no less pointless than anything else humans do. The WNBA not so much...

What does this have to do with meaningful PvP in rift?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast