+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Effective, low-rank builds

Default Effective, low-rank builds

There have been a number of posts about low ranks fighting high ranks and how much it sucks. I think you'll find it gets noticeably better around rank 25. Until then, here are some builds that will still be effective.

Senticar - 28Sent/26Justicar/12Inqui
    Super easy to play. Build convictions with life-based damage spells. Manage your mana. Spam doctrine of loyalty and spot heal. Nice thing about this is you can actually kill stuff, eventually.

Bard - 38Bard/28RS
    Okay, they're all easy to play. Maintain your motifs. Use cadence+power cord and finish with a coda. If you want to be all pro, stance dance between guardian phase and stalker phase depending on whether you're getting targeted. Use CC judiciously and don't cast rift prison on someone who is being attacked.

ChloroDom - 32Chloro/34Dom
    Still a noobish mage, so there are probably better builds. This is slilghtly harder to play but not by much. Mana drain blue bars, especially healers. Rogues are your best target for debuffs because cleanse is less accessible to them (51Inqui is a good choice too.) Debuffing healers will either force them to stop healing or suffer the consequences. Use reflective presence during a push. Keep degenerate on cooldown. Radiant spores on focus target + stream of reclamation for extra healing. Also spot heal with bloom/essence surge.

VoidKnight ??? I have no idea. Someone help!

If you have better builds and modus operandi for lowbies, please post.

As far as my main calling, the rogue, I don't see how MM is that bad of an idea if you just aren't having bard business.

MM spec is solid from start to finish imo.

A strong RS spec can be good if as a lower rank you want to go more gung-ho focus on some objectives. Of course, that may only be till next week now that I think of it.

My honestly philisophy is to play what you love and see yourself playing in the end, from the beginning. You will only get better at your desired spec. You are effective when you are good at your spec. So I would say simply play what fits from start to finish, that will yield the best results.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Oh yeah, low rank dps is much better after 1.7 including MM.
    But if you're like rank 10 and fighting a bunch of R40s, I'd definitely go with a support role.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
    Oh yeah, low rank dps is much better after 1.7 including MM.
    But if you're like rank 10 and fighting a bunch of R40s, I'd definitely go with a support role.
    Yet the influx of relatively new 50's that think leveling specs work just makes me sigh.

Support is a really good way to help your team regardless of gear, and being a cleric for so damn long, low level heals >>low level DPS.

If you want to kill at low ranks you might as well buy stacks of Soul Remnants, it'll be the most damage you will do to a r40 target anyways
    Okooko <Synapse>
    Aerospace Engineer
    Yeah, I fly planes.

The thing is, if a rogue bards all the way up, by the time they do choose to DPS they'll suck at that role because they have no experience playing it in WFs cause they were busy screwing off on a goofy bard spec. Play what you like, screw others. That's how you play a game effectively imo.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    The thing is, if a rogue bards all the way up, by the time they do choose to DPS they'll suck at that role because they have no experience playing it in WFs cause they were busy screwing off on a goofy bard spec. Play what you like, screw others. That's how you play a game effectively imo.
    Nope. It is how you play a game enjoyably, though.

People are always welcome to decide for themselves how they play. No one can stop anyone from running a burst dps spec at R10. But there are consequences for such in-game actions as well. One of those consequences is that you will be extremely ineffective. Another is that people will recognize this and complain about it. A third is that people will generally try to avoid teaming with you whenever possible. If suffering those sorts of consequences does nothing to override your sense of enjoyment when playing a garbage spec, go for it. Just don't expect anyone else to respect your decision - or stay quiet about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    You're taking the "worst player ever" thing too far. ;)
    Seriously, MM won't become hard to play because you barded it up in a few unranked matches.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
    There have been a number of posts about low ranks fighting high ranks and how much it sucks. I think you'll find it gets noticeably better around rank 25. Until then, here are some builds that will still be effective.

ChloroDom - 32Chloro/34Dom
    Still a noobish mage, so there are probably better builds. This is slilghtly harder to play but not by much. Mana drain blue bars, especially healers. Rogues are your best target for debuffs because cleanse is less accessible to them (51Inqui is a good choice too.) Debuffing healers will either force them to stop healing or suffer the consequences. Use reflective presence during a push. Keep degenerate on cooldown. Radiant spores on focus target + stream of reclamation for extra healing. Also spot heal with bloom/essence surge.
    Only just recently hit rank 25 myself. Think I can agree with your comments above. The build I use atm, however, is not really a Chloro/Dom but more a resilient, deeper Dominator (38Dom/18Chloro/10Ele): http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...VuikaMfk.Vx.-0
    I can't say much about Chloro/Dom. However, it may be a viable trade-off to sacrifice the 2min CD Essence Surge and some passive improvements in the Chloro tree in order to spend a little more into Dom up to "Mental Shock" and 10 points into Elementalist. The latter gives you a passive 10% dmg reduction (strong in PvP, I think!) and passive +5% crit (plus revitalize is handy to quickly mana regen out of combat and Ignite is slightly better then Neural Prod, is my guess). You'll be rarely casting Vile Spores (although the squirrel + Swift Control could be useful for that). My choice was also partly given by the mediocre spell power and vengeance you have with lower rank gear so I doubted the indirect Chloro heals would bring much.

Jeffreys, I'm confused on why you passed on the 3-points in Raised in Nature and the big HP gain coming with it, though?! Perhaps it makes more sense in the Chloro/Dom build.

When I started out playing this build, I somehow forgot "Mental Shock" was on my cast bar and I died more than I should have, now I use it very often indeed and find it a terrific spell: a damaging, instant cast 5s long stun on a mere 20s CD is great against casters and melee alike (and for catching near-dead folks trying to run to safety). Usually in a group I pick a non-tank and non-healer target (less chance reflective shield on) and cast Radiant Spores (which spreads) to begin. Then the typical Dominator toolbox. I find Warriors coming at you a real threat (you're slooow in this build ) and use Radant Spores + Mental Shock (and the splits, if not on CD) to gain time against them. My charge consumers are the reflective presences (another reason why I skipped Empowered Veil).

TL;DR: To my experience a deeper Dominator with 38Dom/18Chloro/10Ele gives you decent survivabilty at mediocre ranks with the Dominator toolbox plus the terrific (20s CD) Mental Shock spell from 38Dom. Charge consumers are the reflective/arresting presences.

Hope this was useful. Thoughts?

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Aiolos View Post
    TL;DR: To my experience a deeper Dominator with 38Dom/18Chloro/10Ele gives you decent survivabilty at mediocre ranks with the Dominator toolbox plus the terrific (20s CD) Mental Shock spell from 38Dom. Charge consumers are the reflective/arresting presences.

Hope this was useful. Thoughts?
    I hadn't really considered this, but it makes a lot of sense - especially the dmg reduction from ele.

My only concern with relying on hard CC (as opposed to soft CC like TI, transference) is that you run into DR and cc breaks. Mental shock is awesome when it sticks and the opponent doesn't immediately port out or break free, but how often does that really happen?

I also think you shouldn't discount the more abstract advantages of a full heal. The first time you go from 10 to 100% on some dps who is then immediately overrun by reinforcements, you better believe he's gonna remember that. Good players will begin to prioritize targeting away from you because they know you're capable of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat with the push of a button. At that point, your 2-min cd is serving as a full-time targeting disincentive.

Bad players will, of course, tunnel you even harder. But you can use that, too.

+ Reply to Thread