+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Seether

Thread: Share Chloro-Dom spec pls

Default Share Chloro-Dom spec pls

Can anyone of you pls share a good Chloro-Dom spec that you are running?
    Im currently only lvl 37 but would like to get to know the spec abit better.

Is it any good soloing with ?, or is it mostly Warfronts ?
    Thanx in advance!

Prophet of Telara

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...ciubkorrk.c.-5

Best chloro-dom spec hands down. It's good for soloing (PvP) and group fighting, not so much for PvE if that's what you were mentioning.
    Last edited by Seether; 04-14-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Rift Master

Eh, you can tweak chloro/dom several different ways and end up with a quality spec. I always go 5/5 circle of life because I want really big blooms after I deny the healing debuffs. You generally only need 1/2 durable control because that's enough to degenerate/mana wrench without breaking the squirrel. I always subspec archon so I can pad my shades against purge with vitality/stone stacks. I'm also, generally speaking, going the swift control route so I can really spit out my haunts and storm shackles before TI.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by handerhank View Post
    Eh, you can tweak chloro/dom several different ways and end up with a quality spec. I always go 5/5 circle of life because I want really big blooms after I deny the healing debuffs. You generally only need 1/2 durable control because that's enough to degenerate/mana wrench without breaking the squirrel. I always subspec archon so I can pad my shades against purge with vitality/stone stacks. I'm also, generally speaking, going the swift control route so I can really spit out my haunts and storm shackles before TI.
    Well I'm sitting at 44% spell crit after casting a life based spell plus the 5% from 1/5. So you really aren't getting that higher of a ratio of crits and those points are much better spent elsewhere. The main reason to have circle of life is to act as purge cover for your CD abilities such as Splits, wildgrowth, reflective presence etc.

If you are a good dom you are going to be under lots of pressure from other players and without having the 3 points in pyro you can't reliably cast your base ability (vile spores) due to pushback. Being able to always cast vile spores and deaths edict in 1.5 seconds under fire is huge.

Swift control is a waste imo as a chloro dom, its great for pyro dom but you just don't get enough out of it for the 10 point investment with 1.5 second gcds.

I'd probably swap the two points from 'Accelerated Growth' into 'Circle of Life;' +2% Life Damage should translate to 2.2% additional healing from single target life damage, if I'm not mistaken... Unless the OP's base crit is totally bunk he would probably benefit more from the +10% crit chance that Circle of Life affords, especially pre-50.

The other thing worth mentioning is that, although the 100% ST pushback reduc from 3pt Pyro is pretty nice, those three points + the loss of the 0pt Archon abilities is really a rough tradeoff. Not only do you lose PS as your non-VS filler DD (compared to a 2.5s fireball with roughly the same base damage), but you lose 40SP and ~450HP and the massive purge buffer they provide. Although I've rarely found myself struggling with single target pushback, I guess don't normally attempt to pull off any 1.5s+ single target spells while I'm exposed and/or being heavily focused.

I kinda dig not dumping the 9ish points into Controlled Opportunity and Swift Control, as it's such a huge investment just to be able to land a quick shackle/edict/NF here and there... but alas, I just feel too slow without Swift Control. If only the alternatives were a bit stronger...

OP: Another common Chlorodom split usually resembles something like the build posted below, which is what I believe I'm currently running on my mage:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....xdIhcA00Ro.-5

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    Well I'm sitting at 44% spell crit after casting a life based spell plus the 5% from 1/5. So you really aren't getting that higher of a ratio of crits and those points are much better spent elsewhere.
    Talents that provide +crit ignore any soft/hard caps and their DRs... so really you get an increase of exactly 5% per point. In your case, 5/5 CoL would yield an overall 69% chance to critically heal following a damaging spell cast. If you were already aware of this, please disregard, but it sounded as if you thought that any additional +crit wasn't affecting you because you were already nearly softcapped...

Telaran

umm.... I rarely if ever use vilespores...

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by lixx View Post
    umm.... I rarely if ever use vilespores...
    Cool? Chloro Doms have lots of tools in their tool box and people play them in many different ways. Although most people play them very poorly. (not directed at you)

Disregard all advice by anyone who doesn't have at least 1/2 Durable Control.
    Last edited by Soul sky; 04-14-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Telaran

Cool? Chloro Doms have lots of tools in their tool box and people play them in many different ways. Although most people play them very poorly. (not directed at you)
    I meant to phrase it as a question of am i missing out on something, and less a sarcastic dig. Just so you know, I can play it very poorly too

Rift Master

Well I'm sitting at 44% spell crit after casting a life based spell plus the 5% from 1/5. So you really aren't getting that higher of a ratio of crits and those points are much better spent elsewhere. The main reason to have circle of life is to act as purge cover for your CD abilities such as Splits, wildgrowth, reflective presence etc.
    Taking your primary heals from less than half chance to crit all the way up to better than two thirds is pretty slick - especially when those heals have lengthy cool downs. I want my big blooms to be the rule rather than the exception because I'm usually trying to buy myself globals for other things. Like mana wrench.

If you are a good dom you are going to be under lots of pressure from other players and without having the 3 points in pyro you can't reliably cast your base ability (vile spores) due to pushback. Being able to always cast vile spores and deaths edict in 1.5 seconds under fire is huge.
    I feel like the damage and healing from vile spores are almost useless (i.e. not worth the cast time) without a legitimate dps subsoul (pyro, lock) providing you with significant always-on damage mods. I rarely if ever cast vs; if I'm in a situation where I need to lend dps for burst, it's nf + ruin. I might vs if I've absolutely got globals to burn, but I'm generally repositioning, casting a real heal, or to cc/suppressing.

Swift control is a waste imo as a chloro dom, its great for pyro dom but you just don't get enough out of it for the 10 point investment with 1.5 second gcds.
    I swap it in and out regularly. Definitely qualifies as "bloat", and there's no way I get the same return on those 10 points as pyro/dom. But the rapid SSs and haunts can be pretty clutch, and it turns VS into a not entirely horrible spell for finishing off a burst sequence.

Plane Walker

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...ciubkorrk.c.-5

Best chloro-dom spec hands down. It's good for soloing (PvP) and group fighting, not so much for PvE if that's what you were mentioning.

I sux at chlorodom so i got no advice but I would listen to this guy

Granted as with anything in a MMO and especially a mage in Rift.. Specs are always going to depend on your playstyle.

But this guy is one of the very few that will actually support his team enough to be a problem, as in CC'n effectively, casting Deny on someone except himself, and actually casting Bloom on someone except himself. Not saying that others dont but man there is very few well played chlorodoms.

Most just sit there squirelling all willy nilly casting bloom and flourish on themselves, Denying after they get 2 debuffs on, and then proceed to cast vile spores until they are 30% and then cast splits at 15% health.

/dikkride over :x
    Ill be singing this song for my chloro til i get buffedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JwHA495iHU
    I Xbox Controller Turn, Keyboard turners cant see me son. I Hadouken my rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaro View Post
    I'd probably swap the two points from 'Accelerated Growth' into 'Circle of Life;' +2% Life Damage should translate to 2.2% additional healing from single target life damage, if I'm not mistaken... Unless the OP's base crit is totally bunk he would probably benefit more from the +10% crit chance that Circle of Life affords, especially pre-50.

The other thing worth mentioning is that, although the 100% ST pushback reduc from 3pt Pyro is pretty nice, those three points + the loss of the 0pt Archon abilities is really a rough tradeoff. Not only do you lose PS as your non-VS filler DD (compared to a 2.5s fireball with roughly the same base damage), but you lose 40SP and ~450HP and the massive purge buffer they provide. Although I've rarely found myself struggling with single target pushback, I guess don't normally attempt to pull off any 1.5s+ single target spells while I'm exposed and/or being heavily focused.

I kinda dig not dumping the 9ish points into Controlled Opportunity and Swift Control, as it's such a huge investment just to be able to land a quick shackle/edict/NF here and there... but alas, I just feel too slow without Swift Control. If only the alternatives were a bit stronger...

OP: Another common Chlorodom split usually resembles something like the build posted below, which is what I believe I'm currently running on my mage:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....xdIhcA00Ro.-5
    I'm with this guy almost 100%, though I'd take 2 points out of Nature's Corrosion in Chloro in favour of 5/5 Circle of Life. The primary use of that talent is to mask debuffs really, you should almost never be casting Vile Spores -- Chloro/Doms are not healers. Anyone who says 25% crit on prettymuch the only two real sources of healing you have is insignificant, or not worth it, is insane. As the quoted poster also mentioned, that 25% crit is not affected by the crit soft cap.

As for Controlled Opportunity... really, people consider not using this? Fast stacking of Pillaging? Instant-cast Nature's Fury? Honestly I don't think I'd ever get off a Storm Shackle or Haunting Pain without it, but maybe that's because I'm not a second-rate Mage and actually get focused. Maybe that's how I know that Vile Spores is a 2 second cast, not 1.5s, too.

Edit: Oh to answer the OP's question, Chloro/Dom isn't great for solo'ing at mid-range levels since it takes heavy investment of points for the defining talents. It's a PvP build. For solo'ing and PvP through the midranges I'd suggest you go for some Necro/Warlock hybrid, or some Pyro/Chloro hybrid. Anything with /Dom at low gear levels will drain your mana in a handful of heartbeats.
    Last edited by Ianto Jones; 04-15-2012 at 08:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread