+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What would you bring from another MMO

Default What would you bring from another MMO

To make PvP in Rift more fun?
    "You lost me at Balance"

Last edited by Violacea; 04-12-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

I would definitely not bring arena. Please, for the love of god, no stupid arena.

I would, however, like to see a pvp zone (even on pve servers) where each side struggles to hold it. If you hold it, you have access to content while the other side is locked out, making it an incentive to actually do that zone.
    Infy <Transience> of Threesprings
    I PVP with 1 button.
    Potato.

Any sort of system that keeps pve gear out of pvp. This broken system we have has gone on far too long.

I have ideas of what I would bring in but Im gonna save it for page 2 or 3. Previous experience has taught me not to put the OP's thoughts on the first page, or else the community dwells on that and doesn't add to the conversation.
    "You lost me at Balance"

I really liked the RvR system in Warhammer.

Each consisted of a fairly large area with a primary and a few secondary objectives.

The primary objectives, in this case, were keeps that you had to defend or assault depending on who captured the keep last.

When assaulting the keep you used a variety of static (as opposed to mobile cartoon tanks) siege equipment such as cannons and battering rams. When defending could you used stuff like boiling oil and ballistas. It was very much like an actual siege, in a historical sense.

IIRC, the side that controlled the keep had access to special vendors that were only available while you held the keep.

The secondary objectives (again, IIRC) were a graveyard, an armory and something I can't remember. Capturing and holding each of these objective gave your faction buffs, depending on the objective. For example, if you held the GY, your faction received a healing buff. If you held the armory, you received a buff to damage and defense.

There was a timer on the battle, but it was long enough that you never felt that you were fighting a mini battle, like a WF. There was also a timer between battles that kept you from assaulting the keep. This was put in place to allow people access to the vendors and for them to prepare for the next siege.

Some of the cool features were...
    You were not stuck fighting solely at the keep. It was also important to keep track of, capture and hold the secondary objectives.
    If you played the rogue class (Witchhunter) you had the ability to sneak out of the keep and sabotage your opponents siege weapons.
    Once you breached the gate, you still have to fight your way to the heart of the keep, which not only included people of the opposing faction but several NPC's as well. This made the fight in the keep just as interesting, if not more, than the fights outside the keep.

Pros:
    • Long, intricate battles encompassing multiple objectives and, potentially, large numbers of players.
    • A real feeling of accomplishment when you successfully assaulted or defended the keep.
    • A realistic siege system that felt like, well, a real siege.
    • It was hella fun most of the time.

Cons:
    • IMO, there were too many of these zones in the game. If one keep seemed to be 'impenetrable', people would abandon the siege and head to another RvR zone in the hopes of finding easier pickings. Not so much a problem with the system as it was with the players.
    • You had to pay for the siege and defensive equipment. This was not a huge issue as the equipment was actually fairly inexpensive, but if you were cash poor you had to rely on others to bring it.

There's much more, but by this time people are probably getting that tl;dr feeling, so I'll stop here.
    Last edited by Meina; 04-12-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psionicalpha View Post
    I would definitely not bring arena. Please, for the love of god, no stupid arena.

I would, however, like to see a pvp zone (even on pve servers) where each side struggles to hold it. If you hold it, you have access to content while the other side is locked out, making it an incentive to actually do that zone.
    This is a great idea, and make it so the instance drops high end pvp gear with some hit rating on it, which can only be acquired by holding the zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

A 3rd faction.

Shield of Telara

People to play with...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    This is a great idea, and make it so the instance drops high end pvp gear with some hit rating on it, which can only be acquired by holding the zone.
    The biggest problem with any PvP zone with persistent rewards (including my own suggestion above) is that Trion is looking to remove / de-emphasize factions. Their cited reason for this is faction imbalances.

This leads us to the need for instancing, or at least gating, any type of zone like this to allow people of both factions to fight on either team (a la the merc system). Naturally this precludes any faction based persistent rewards from those zones.
    Last edited by Meina; 04-12-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Soulwalker

The only other MMO I played was Anarchy Online. Funcom had a lot of good ideas in that game (some of them became adopted in many other MMOs that came after).

Notum Wars was a very fun concept IMO. Your guild would build a base that contained a main tower, defensive turrets and player crafted towers that harvested Notum. Some of these towers gave guild wide stat boosts while others were owned by individual guild members and augmented only their stats. The whole base would be on a timer, becoming vulnerable for attacks from opposing, neutral or even your own faction. To destroy the base the attackers would have to kill/disable the turrets (those things hit hard), destroy all the player towers and then destroy the main tower (tons of HP).

Unfortunately, Funcom's net code could never handle large scale events, so most attempts at having them turned into giant lag fests. Still, we had a few very fun battles, and even now, almost ten years later, I have very good memories of those times. Would like to see something like that in Rift. I guess that's sort of what people mean when they say that they want player/guild controlled towns...

Oh, and flying mounts!!!11 (AO had flying vehicles)

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    they'd need to give up their level 50 cap to make endgame competitive
    3rd neutral faction to eliminate mercs
    group or guild duels
    more servers lmao, not shards, the data centers

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    Won't speak for "fun" but I do think one mechanic that Rift should steal from SWTOR is the resolve bar. It's a bar that tells you how much DR your enemy has at the moment. They've already stolen "guard" so they may as well steal that too.

As for fun, just do what GW2 is doing.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    Won't speak for "fun" but I do think one mechanic that Rift should steal from SWTOR is the resolve bar. It's a bar that tells you how much DR your enemy has at the moment. They've already stolen "guard" so they may as well steal that too.

As for fun, just do what GW2 is doing.
    no mmo has it all
    gw2 has no open world pvp

Prophet of Telara

Trion should look for something of their own. We have 3 big problems with PvP at the moment:

1) No end-game - You get to R40 and then....?
    2) No economy - Winning & losing in PvP don't matter, and if you solely PvP you will be broke.
    3) No teamwork - You can group with 4 other people, but you're still pug-ing in WF's. Guilds are pointless.

I'd like to see Trion release a PvP area with guild-based objectives & rewards, as well as individual rewards. Make the rewards unique to the PvP area, and have them tie into crafting (professions need help anyway). Primarily the results of these crafted rewards should be used in PvP, but allowing them to trickle into PvE would be ok with me (dunno what the PvEers think about it).

The guild objectives should be centered around establishing, maintaining & expanding a "presence" of some sort in the PvP area, and be entrepeneurial (high risk, high reward). The rewards should be worth enough that guilds would be willing to sink time & materials into getting them, and that other guilds and unaffiliated players would be willing to attack that guild's "presence" in order to get those rewards for themselves.

The only hard part I see to this is that in order for the rewards to be meaningful enough to keep activity up day-in, day-out, they'd need to be consumable crafted items, not permanent ones, and Trion already has a lot of consumables in the game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast