+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Option for signing up only for matched warfronts

Telaran

Default Option for signing up only for matched warfronts

canīt believe there is no thread about that (at least i didnīt find one while searching).

why is there no option to sign up for matched warfronts only? for me it is way more fun to play balanced warfronts with people being in my range of rank. there is no fun playing as a rank 12 against a rank 40 and the other way round. you actually have the mechanic implemented but matched warfronts seems only to open regularly during peak times. after 22 o'clock there are hardly any. there would be perhaps longer waiting times but i dont care if i have to wait 1 min instead of 10s...
    Last edited by Ellkar; 04-08-2012 at 08:22 AM.

You'd be looking at something more like a 30 minute wait if they implemented that...
    Unless there was a "range" option to which you could pick what you wanted to play, but that'd get abused and lead to further QQing.

I'd like to see something along the lines of what they have in place pre-50.

A new Warfront that you unlock queuing for at R25, and maybe even a R40 only Warfront.

(and that doesn't mean start restricting Warfronts.. MAKE NEW ONES)
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    I'd like to see something along the lines of what they have in place pre-50.

A new Warfront that you unlock queuing for at R25, and maybe even a R40 only Warfront.

(and that doesn't mean start restricting Warfronts.. MAKE NEW ONES)
    This would be pretty cool, but we need to ask ourselves the same questions as we would with the OP's suggestion.

Are there enough R40's to support their own queues?

Are there enough <R40's?

What will splitting them up do to queue times?

With the advent of the merc system and the server merges, I think both your suggestion and the OP's should be viable. Yours is actually a bit more interesting because it rolls in more content.

But, like I said, they should be viable. I don't have the numbers that Trion has so I can't say for sure that either of those can be done without massing with queue times, which seems to be Trion's top priority these days. They've obviously adopted a quantity over quality point of view lately.

Will not happen. Won't happen for the same logistics and principles you won't ever have an option to opt out of mercing. Sorry to give away the ending.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    Maybe not for a 15v15 or a 20v20, but it would be a great way to test out some 5v5 options.

Warhammer Online actually did something like this. They recycled one of their old 10v10 maps and turned it into a temporary 5v5 for a certain level bracket. It was pretty fun while it lasted, and I wish they had made it available for higher level players as well.
    Eshlon@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Arynite View Post
    Maybe not for a 15v15 or a 20v20, but it would be a great way to test out some 5v5 options.

Warhammer Online actually did something like this. They recycled one of their old 10v10 maps and turned it into a temporary 5v5 for a certain level bracket. It was pretty fun while it lasted, and I wish they had made it available for higher level players as well.
    They could probably do something like this with Black Garden, which might be cool. I can't see any of the other maps working as well due the their size and number of objectives though.

I think at this stage, seeing as queue times are so short now, they could start tweaking the matching system a bit. I don't see a problem with them dialing up the prioritization a bit so that we see more matched WF's.

Sure, this would effect queue times, but that comes down to a matter of degrees. They could dial it up to 11 and make the system only pop matched games or they could kick it up a notch or two to allow for a few more matched games here or there. Naturally, dialing it up to 11 would just kill queue times and it shouldn't be done, but I don't see a problem with waiting another 30 seconds to a minute in queue if it means we get more matched, and for most people more fun, WF matches.

But, as I said earlier, Trion seems to have adopted a quantity over quality standpoint, so I doubt we'll see them doing anything that will effect queue times any time soon, even if it did result in a better overall PvP experience.

As stated above, I'd much rather have a 5v5 R40 only Warfront. I'm sure there's at least ten R40s who play this game.

That, and small Warfronts are by far the most fun because you as a player can make more of an impact than ever. In a 15v15, even the best players can be brought down by the lowest common denominator, or undergeared players. A large 5v5 with only R40s would be an amazing Warfront.
    ~Quiescent

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by meoka2368 View Post
    You'd be looking at something more like a 30 minute wait if they implemented that...
    Unless there was a "range" option to which you could pick what you wanted to play, but that'd get abused and lead to further QQing.
    I highly doubt the ques would be 30 minutes long. If players within the 10-19, 20-29, 30-39 etc. have instant ques, I'm sure players in the 50 bracket, which so happens to be the majority of players, won't have a problem with que times if they break up the brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    This would be pretty cool, but we need to ask ourselves the same questions as we would with the OP's suggestion.

Are there enough <R40's?

What will splitting them up do to queue times?
    Seeing as how in unmatched WFs, the majority of players are r40s, I'm sure there are more than enough r40s to support their own ques.

In fact, not only should the r40s have their own bracket, I think Trion needs to rework their brackets entirely. The 1-20, 10-25, 20-35 brackets are just oddly designed. Instead, the brackets should be:

1-11, for all new 50s without access to rank 12 weapons yet.
    12-24, for 50s without access to rank 25 weapons.
    25-35
    36+ which would be the r40s bracket.

The OP is correct. More ranked WFs would be a lot more fun. It isn't any fun being a fresh 50 and being farmed by r40s, because Trion decided it would make shorter que times. The farming doesn't stop until the player is a high enough rank to be able to defend himself.

A 3-5 minute wait for a ranked WF that lasts 15 minutes would be a lot more fun than an instant que for an unmatched WF where you get slaughtered for 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    Seeing as how in unmatched WFs, the majority of players are r40s, I'm sure there are more than enough r40s to support their own ques.
    Which brings up to the second question. Will there be enough <40's to fill their own WF brackets?

Like I said, there should be but I don't have the numbers that Trion has.

In fact, not only should the r40s have their own bracket, I think Trion needs to rework their brackets entirely. The 1-20, 10-25, 20-35 brackets are just oddly designed. Instead, the brackets should be:

1-11, for all new 50s without access to rank 12 weapons yet.
    12-24, for 50s without access to rank 25 weapons.
    25-35
    36+ which would be the r40s bracket.
    This all makes sense to me.
    The OP is correct. More ranked WFs would be a lot more fun. It isn't any fun being a fresh 50 and being farmed by r40s, because Trion decided it would make shorter que times. The farming doesn't stop until the player is a high enough rank to be able to defend himself.
    Agreed, wholeheartedly.

I really don't want to belabor the point but it does seem like queue times are the first and foremost decision maker as far as Trion is concerned.
    A 3-5 minute wait for a ranked WF that lasts 15 minutes would be a lot more fun than an instant que for an unmatched WF where you get slaughtered for 10 minutes.
    Again I agree, but I've always been a quality over quantity type of guy when it comes to PvP. Others, on the other hand, aren't. Some people get downright pissy if they have to wait more than 3 minutes for their mayhem fix.

Rift Master

I'd prefer a "no merc" option first, not to mention the system is completely riddled with bugs, quite major ones too.
    A remnant of special olympics world first hammerknell - 27th July 2011 - Best raid ever to be opened. I was a mighty warrior tank. Had many friends and was appreciated in the community.

Looking back at RIFT is bittersweet. Ah damn.

Would a solution be to shorten the brackets? By that I mean, the difference between a level 10 and a level 19 is staggering, but the difference between a level 10 and a level 14, not so much.
    * Cienn 50 Mathosian Pyro Mage-Keenblade * Landuu 45 Kelari Pyro Mage-Greenscale * Xee 37 High Elf Healing Cleric, Warfronts-Homeless *

If you say "plz" instead of "please" because it's easier to type, then I will say "no" instead of "yes" for the same reason.

+ Reply to Thread