+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Issues With Mercenaries in Warfronts

Champion of Telara Sargonnas_KoA's Avatar

Default Issues With Mercenaries in Warfronts

Not everyone is a fan of being a mercenary in warfronts.

The most amusing time is when you lose 4 warfronts playing on your factions side and get switched to the other faction thinking great at least I will win a game. Then you lose that game too, go back to your faction, and lose again. Then you seriously think about what it would look like to throw your computer out of a two story window.

I am ok with being a mercenary and I will play as best as I can regardless of which side I am on. The problem and the real point of this post is two issues that I have seen on and off while doing a large amount of warfronts lately.

1. A mercenary is the leader of the raid. Occasionally I have seen a mercenary refuse to give assist, transfer leadership, or mark any targets. A mercenary should never be leader of the opposite factions raid!

2. Mercenaries that literally do nothing in warfronts or don't try because they are angry they are a mercenary. I have watched people stand around, do suicide runs into the enemy just to die, pick up sourcestones in Port Scion and never turn them in, and even once watched a member of my own team in a group of enemies doing nothing, and not being attacked because they were all part of the same guild. Occasionally we can report AFK and get the person kicked, but that option only works if everyone is paying attention.

The first problem is an easy fix. Your faction should always be leading your factions raid group. End of story.

The second problem is a little more complicated. Entire raid groups are depending on everyone to win and can sometimes be sabotaged by people trying to assist the other side or they are just angry and refuse to play as a mercenary. Does this happen all the time? Not at all, but its enough to be irritating. I report them as AFK every time I can, but most time they never end up getting kicked anyway so its up to the raid members to dump these people every chance we get. On Trions side I am not as sure what they could do that would be simple, but filter these people out more.

You should use the search function. This could be considered spam.
    "You lost me at Balance"

You should post something worthwhile.

well there are only 35-40 threads on this topic
    & it turns into the same argument by the same people all over again

Quote Originally Posted by Sargonnas_KoA View Post
    You should post something worthwhile.
    If you don't consider the CoC important, then I guess I can't help you.
    "You lost me at Balance"

You aren't the forum police. Get over yourself.

It is a valid topic.

Shadowlander

It is a valid topic.
    Their points are that there are plenty of other threads based on this exact topic, and they feel that this is just cluttering the forums with clones. Or so I am to believe.

It is a valid topic.
    The first few topics on this were valid, after that is is considered spam

Spamming: Please do not post spam on our forums. Spam and the act of spamming includes posting the same message more than once, posting messages with no real content, posting messages or images large enough to disrupt the normal flow of conversation and reposting material that has been deleted by a member of the Community Team.
    Use the Search Function: Please help us keep discussions as consolidated as possible by using the search function before you create a thread to see if there is already an ongoing discussion about the topic youíre interested in talking about.
    Trolling or Baiting: Trolling is defined as something that is posted for shock value, to provoke conflict, or to elicit a strong negative or emotional reaction. Itís okay to disagree with others, and even to debate, but provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is not acceptable. If you don't have something constructive or meaningful to add to a discussion, we recommend you refrain from posting in that one and find another discussion to participate in instead.
    "You lost me at Balance"

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    If you don't consider the CoC important, then I guess I can't help you.
    Or apparently yourself, given you were banned a while ago.
    Last edited by Flimble; 03-24-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimble View Post
    Or apparently yourself, given you were banned a while ago.
    Dogs can learn new tricks
    "You lost me at Balance"

Prophet of Telara

Just give a opt out, and this issue will die.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyaus View Post
    Just give a opt out, and this issue will die.
    I wonder what it will be replaced with. We're due for more nerf rogue threads I believe.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Opt out creates a different problem though. Queue's go up again depending on how many people are opting out which defeats the purpose of having a mercenary system.

I saw someone mention giving a mercenary a 10-20% prestige and favor bonus as an incentive. I'm leaning more towards something along these lines. Give most people a reason to actually be ok with it and willing to participate when they have to fight for the other faction. You are being told to fight for the enemy. Mercenaries are paid money to fight so translate that into the game somehow.

Prophet of Telara

Opt out creates a different problem though. Queue's go up again depending on how many people are opting out which defeats the purpose of having a mercenary system.

I saw someone mention giving a mercenary a 10-20% prestige and favor bonus as an incentive. I'm leaning more towards something along these lines. Give most people a reason to actually be ok with it and willing to participate when they have to fight for the other faction. You are being told to fight for the enemy. Mercenaries are paid money to fight so translate that into the game somehow.
    The ones that are totally against the merc system will not care. They will still play the same, I fight the same no matter what side I am on but some people do care which side they are on and I am okay with that.

To be honest, the only time I might use the opt out is if we have 2-5man premades running and we want to be on the same side instead of fighting each other. Which creates the same problem with queues, but we do like see each other on opposite sides and fight, then you hear the talk in chat.
    Last edited by Tyaus; 03-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyaus View Post
    The ones that are totally against the merc system will not care. They will still play the same, I fight the same no matter what side I am on but some people do care which side they are on and I am okay with that.
    Yeah, I've seen some people say its against the lore of Rift and refuse to participate. I understand that because those people generally just don't do warfronts or drop out if they are a mercenary, but my problem comes from those that are angry and stay in a warfront only to refuse to play or help the side they are on. Now its affecting everyone playing on that side.

A little part of me wonders if the mercenary as it is now is the very beginning of what will come later since Trion has stated that there is something coming that goes beyond the two factions. A third faction of mercenaries or those not loyal to the current two political groups would be interesting if it was done right.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast