+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 3 days free trial for returning player, PVP kills it?

General of Telara

Default 3 days free trial for returning player, PVP kills it?

Hi there, just wanted to drop a comment on the pvp. Ive done quite my share on wow , warhammer , aion , starwar: ToR etc.

I dont say im a pro player but i would say im alright, i think i do a nice enough job. On wow i even won a mount in wrath of the lich king , a bone dragon , was really proud!

Ive played Rift when it got out and did full greenscale clear then my guild disbanded and we left. Now i had the idea of coming back, doing the 3 days trial. I pvp'ed all night to test it out since its one of my favorite free time filler.

Whaaaaat the...? Ok im starting a new character, i was in the 10-19 bracket. My gear was ok (from questing mostly) and i was level 19. I had 1010 hp.

I was getting uberly destroyed (justicar/sham/warden) in like 2-3 hits from archer or even from a riftblade/champ with 3k HP. All night long my team got steamrolled, losing like 500 to 40, it was terrible.

I dont know whats going on with the pvp, probably premade but damn i sure didnt have fun.I wanted to give it a big chance before judging, since i only have 3 days to decide. So i played for 5 hours straight. i could say we won 30% of the matches. Some was fun but they were rare, it was mostly being killed over and over again without being able to do anything.

i feel like im being dragged back in the pyro+warzone buff+squirrel one shot or the proper timing + titan's strike.

In one game, there was a ranger/marksman spamming a kind of aoe blue/purple arrow with a zapping sound. He was doing that and only that, non stop. But the thing is, it was effective. Each time i got hit by that , it was like 20% of my life going away and he was spamming like madman. In the end, he finished the Battleground with like 55k and the second dps was at 16k. I know aoe is usually laughed at in PVP since most healer can heal through it but he was ripping everyone up with that.

Im not really QQ since im not into the game really much. But as the first experience while coming back, it was horrendous. If i were to judge solely on that aspect, i would never play that game
    Last edited by darkchicken; 03-22-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Ascendant

well its the pro-players exploiting the no xp option. Prbly. the same players who demand competitive pvp here in the forums, going lowbie crushing all night long ... pitty that human beings are that, but thats prbly. why there still is always war going on somewhere in the (real) world.

My advise: Stay through it, fight your way to 50 (its really fast) get a good guild or form a premade, fight your way to r40 and then crush them!

Telaran

Threads like this are very painful to read. Perhaps one of the biggest hurdles that pvp has, is the perception (rightfully so for now) that it is not friendly to newcomers. Twinking has been a HUGE step backwards for this. As long as you have experiences like the one OP is describing, there is no way you can actually grow the pvp community. I personally never experienced it, but i have read somany wonderful descriptions of pre- twink lowlevel wfs, and now it seems that if you are not locking your character in place, you are at a complete disadvantage. It looks like a lvl 50 experience all over. Pre 50 game has never been and should never be about gear progression. If you want gear progression, come to lvl 50 wfs, where you'll face the rest of us. To that end, perhaps it would be nice to have a few lowlevel warfronts, where your gear contributions are completely removed and you have to rely on your skill only.

The best thing you can do for pvp is to have low levels rave about how awesomeit is. I saw a lot of that before twinking, and i see none of it now. Doesnt that suggest that level locking and twinking destroyed a very important characteristic of low level warfronts?

Yeah that can suck, reminds me of WoW, I had a twink there tho and I didnt make that twink to be competitive. It was in response to Alliance twinks and just to crush people. Hopefully Trion takes a real close look. I don't think most of those twinks would hang around if all they got to play against were twinks like themselves. When EVERYONE is a twink, NOONE is a twink. I'd say hang in there for 50's, it's a blast. I just started last week midway through the free-play week for past subscribers and it's hard to stay away. (I have taken a couple days off to see the world a bit and check out the changes). I'm real close to dinging lvl 12 prestige and gettin my weaps! It's all alot of fun except Whitefall Steppes, Defiants seem to play like it's a state law we have to lose that warfront. So hang in there and pray for Merc:P

Banned

Holy crap, twinks were a bad idea and ruin PVP?! OMG, no one could see that coming except for... well... everyone but twinks.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by darkchicken View Post
    Whaaaaat the...? Ok im starting a new character, i was in the 10-19 bracket. My gear was ok (from questing mostly) and i was level 19. I had 1010 hp.
    Green quest gear is really the most crappy gear availaible in Rift, outside of a few items that are even worse.

Each zone has a "Rare Planar Goods" Vendor selling cheap rare/epic gear and also has a "Pvp Goods" vendor selling a few pieces of pvp gear every 6 levels (level 12, 18, 24, 30, ...) to use your favor on. Also each bracket has a dungeon availaible just below the max level that drops plenty of nice gear.

(TL;DR: if you don't use the easy options to gear up in a gear-based game, you can only expect to get steamrolled)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ethanol View Post
    Green quest gear is really the most crappy gear availaible in Rift, outside of a few items that are even worse.

Each zone has a "Rare Planar Goods" Vendor selling cheap rare/epic gear and also has a "Pvp Goods" vendor selling a few pieces of pvp gear every 6 levels (level 12, 18, 24, 30, ...) to use your favor on. Also each bracket has a dungeon availaible just below the max level that drops plenty of nice gear.

(TL;DR: if you don't use the easy options to gear up in a gear-based game, you can only expect to get steamrolled)
    Yeah, plus to compete you need to spend 20p on runes and hire someone at 50 with rep to put them on your gear for you. If you are lucky you could lock you're XP as a new player and be ready to have some PVP fun in 6 months or so after you have the plat.

or you could just not PVP, cuase PVP in this game is terrible and play it for the great PVE game that it is. Considering the extreme lack of PVP population that seems to be the choice of most PVP players, they just PVP in other games.

Soulwalker

Really???
    By the time you'll get the currency/favor for that gear, you'll be in other bracket where you'll meet lvl x9 twinks and your gear will mean nothing (again). And so on, every bracket has twinks. You'll always be behind in terms of gear.
    So, for a new player like OP, that "advice" is not working.

Champion

Whilst I agree it is easy for new players to get some blue dungeon gear (though people will still end up with gaps unless they are lucky rolling), the rest is largely pie in the sky for a new player.
    Last edited by Flimble; 03-23-2012 at 07:40 AM.

General of Telara

well to say the truth, im going so fast in XP that when i asked to go in realm of the fae, they said i was too high. Im level 20 and im not even half-way quests in the first place. I should be in gloamwood. I bought some pieces off the AH to keep in a questing shape.

I dont think pvp at this level should be about gear but more about fun, since its the STARTING PVP. I can understand that argument around 30-50 where players know what is going on etc. But right now i had no idea i would be ripped in half and /spit around 40 times by the time i get to reach my respawn button.

So its basically saying to newcomer to stay out of pvp and its not a feature they could enjoy. For me its a deciding factor if i subscribe or not. If it is the case then, some other will be in the same boat as me, asking if they wanna come here when you cant really pvp until 50 + gear grind. Because when you start a game, you dont have that much money or you are still learning the mechanic.

its a good thing ive already played rift myself because if it was my first experience, i would just go away right now

Ascendant

easiest solution: xp off needs lvl30+

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Endersan View Post
    Really???
    By the time you'll get the currency/favor for that gear, you'll be in other bracket where you'll meet lvl x9 twinks and your gear will mean nothing (again). And so on, every bracket has twinks. You'll always be behind in terms of gear.
    So, for a new player like OP, that "advice" is not working.
    It's OK, once you level (avoiding all PVP) and then grind PVP for a few months then you can have some fun PVPing.

Twinks take a calculated approach to gearing themselves up and is not something that can be accomplished with what you labeled "easy options." Better gear? Certainly. Twinked gear? No.

Furthermore, he is reflecting on the WF experience from someone starting anew (though he has played before). Using your logic, one HAS to twink to even participate in warfronts. For a game trying to get new subscribers, alienating new players is a huge no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchicken View Post
    Hi there, just wanted to drop a comment on the pvp. Ive done quite my share on wow , warhammer , aion , starwar: ToR etc.

I dont say im a pro player but i would say im alright, i think i do a nice enough job. On wow i even won a mount in wrath of the lich king , a bone dragon , was really proud!

Ive played Rift when it got out and did full greenscale clear then my guild disbanded and we left. Now i had the idea of coming back, doing the 3 days trial. I pvp'ed all night to test it out since its one of my favorite free time filler.

I was getting uberly destroyed (justicar/sham/warden) in like 2-3 hits from archer or even from a riftblade/champ with 3k HP. All night long my team got steamrolled, losing like 500 to 40, it was terrible.

I dont know whats going on with the pvp, probably premade but damn i sure didnt have fun.I wanted to give it a big chance before judging, since i only have 3 days to decide. So i played for 5 hours straight. i could say we won 30% of the matches. Some was fun but they were rare, it was mostly being killed over and over again without being able to do anything.

i feel like im being dragged back in the pyro+warzone buff+squirrel one shot or the proper timing + titan's strike.

In one game, there was a ranger/marksman spamming a kind of aoe blue/purple arrow with a zapping sound. He was doing that and only that, non stop. But the thing is, it was effective. Each time i got hit by that , it was like 20% of my life going away and he was spamming like madman. In the end, he finished the Battleground with like 55k and the second dps was at 16k. I know aoe is usually laughed at in PVP since most healer can heal through it but he was ripping everyone up with that.

Im not really QQ since im not into the game really much. But as the first experience while coming back, it was horrendous. If i were to judge solely on that aspect, i would never play that game
    Write an in-game ticket and put this in the section titled "what I do not like"

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Buckley View Post
    Twinks take a calculated approach to gearing themselves up and is not something that can be accomplished with what you labeled "easy options." Better gear? Certainly. Twinked gear? No.
    You don't need BiS gear to compete.

The major gear difference you see in warfronts is between people that only upgrade with the "free" gear they get from quests/... and the people who actually care about their leveling characters and buy the stuff mentionned. The extra icing (level 50 rep runes) don't change that much past level 30.

Maybe Trion needs to add quests that tell people to go talk to the Rare Planar/PvP Goods vendors and have him give all his stuff for free? And have a nearby auctioneer that sells the lowbie rune for free instead of the 10-50 gold they'll cost on AH.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast