+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best calling with no HK gear?

Default Best calling with no HK gear?

I want to pvp at 50 and not be too terribly gimped because I don't raid. Which calling can have the most success (assuming the human controlling it is up to the task) with ONLY pvp gear? I'm willing to eat poop for a few weeks while grinding the favor, but pve is just not my bag.

I'm guessing based on previous MMO experience that it's not rogues or warriors...
    Last edited by Van Hammersly; 03-22-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Since Mages are kinda meh right now, and Warriors and Rogues need* HK gear to be competitive, Clerics.

*I'm sure people will nitpick at me for this, so I'm adding an escape clause. You do not, per se, need HK gear to be competitive, but I damn sure will guarantee you an HK geared Rogue or Warrior will do beyond lightyears better competitively than a person who doesn't have +hit.
    ~Quiescent

Rogues and warriors would be your best pick right now imo. That may change next week.

I'm pretty sure, there's a lot of folk that hang out in warfronts, that would rather poke poison dipped sporks in their eyes, than raid.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Since Mages are kinda meh right now, and Warriors and Rogues need* HK gear to be competitive, Clerics.

*I'm sure people will nitpick at me for this, so I'm adding an escape clause. You do not, per se, need HK gear to be competitive, but I damn sure will guarantee you an HK geared Rogue or Warrior will do beyond lightyears better competitively than a person who doesn't have +hit.
    Hmm interesting, so I'm guessing it's the healing variants and not the inquisicabijustishamadruids that can find success?

And I thought PyroDom and ChloroDom were supposed to be wicked awesome, was it all a lie?
    Last edited by Van Hammersly; 03-22-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Rogues and warriors would be your best pick right now imo. That may change next week.

I'm pretty sure, there's a lot of folk that hang out in warfronts, that would rather poke poison dipped sporks in their eyes, than raid.
    I kinda thought, just based on a quick perusal of some threads, that rogues and warriors needed teh orange stuffs to excel?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Hammersly View Post
    Hmm interesting, so I'm guessing it's the healing variants and not the inquisicabijustishamadruids that can find success?

And I thought PyroDom and ChloroDom were supposed to be wicked awesome, was it all a lie?
    Pyrodom and Chlorodom are both very good, Mages just kinda lack a "punch" to them right now IMO. Maybe it's just me. Either way, Mages DPS as well as Clerics but can only heal about half as well, so that gives them a bit more of an edge, too. More viability is nice.

And as of 1.8, any Cleric healing soul will still be viable, for DPS you should go 51 Inquisitor.
    Justicar hybrids turn any DPS into an amazing raid healer as well, and they turn any healer into an invicigodmodetank. (Paraphrasing of course)

I kinda thought, just based on a quick perusal of some threads, that rogues and warriors needed teh orange stuffs to excel?
    It's not that they need it, it's that any Rogue or Warrior, and to some extents Clerics and even Mages, will have an amount of +dodge or +parry, +block, etc on them that negates a lot of the damage you do.

Damage in PvP is inherently balanced around PvE, and damage in PvE is balanced around Rogues and Warriors never missing, so if you miss 10% of the time, you'll be doing less DPS than you should be. Plus, it's annoying as hell when you blow a big CD only to see "trololol parry".
    Last edited by Zaros; 03-22-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    ~Quiescent

People like complaining about, well, everything.

There is some mighty fine warriors and rogues in warfronts, that are not wearing a stitch of orange.

To be fair, that applies to all classes.
    Last edited by Charlice; 03-22-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    People like complaining about, well, everything.

There is some mighty fine warriors and rogues in warfronts, that are not wearing a stitch of orange.

To be fair, that applies to all classes.
    for now....

It will be intereting to see what ID does to PvP. I wish they would just stop the cross-over where BiS for PvP can come from a PvE raid.

Rift Disciple

This thread is now about pvp relics

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Haddaway View Post
    This thread is now about pvp relics
    Gimme

/thread

I want to pvp at 50 and not be too terribly gimped because I don't raid. Which calling can have the most success (assuming the human controlling it is up to the task) with ONLY pvp gear? I'm willing to eat poop for a few weeks while grinding the favor, but pve is just not my bag.

I'm guessing based on previous MMO experience that it's not rogues or warriors...
    I havn't done a dungeon (i'm a rogue) or any more pve than a world event since patch 1.3 and I get pretty big in WF's and can world PvP just fine. I did spend 300p+ on pve weapons for hit for various melee/ranged specs. But you don't really need to raid. I wouldn't mind trying a ranger 2pc set, but I'm fine without it too.
    Last edited by Violacea; 03-23-2012 at 12:44 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Mages and Clerics can easily obtain enough Focus through runes to be competitive in PvP using all PvP gear. Warriors and Rogues can't get enough Hit with just runes to be competitive so having PvE weapons with good amounts of Hit on them make a huge difference.

Of course that means Rogues and Warriors lose out on the Valor PvP weapons give, while Mages and Clerics can use their PvP weapons and get it.

If you're only going to be using PvP gear, then Mage or Cleric is the way to go with the current game rules in place.

Only read the first few posts, but +hit has a much bigger impact on rogues and presumably warriors than +focus for mages and clerics. I'd choose one of that last two for that reason.

Yeah I play a warrior and can be competitive and aggressive in just pvp gear (i DO use a plus hit weapon, the one for doing the epic life quest getting greenscales heart), with the weapon and a hit run I can do around 130 hit just my weapon and talents and such, but having an HK relic warrior next to me makes me realize how much more they can do.

I'd probably go with a cleric, honestly.

Rift Chaser

can I put a vote in for Cleric (healing) as well?

* DPS classes do better with more Spellpower or DPS on their weapons; faced against people running 50% damage mitigation from valour, the relative lack of competitive damage that a low rank, low geared lvl 50 can do makes DPS not a great solution.

* physical damage classes and melee classes additionally need more +hit than casters need +focus. That number is not too difficult to obtain, but being raid geared certainly makes it a lot easier - thus, not being raid geared certainly makes it harder to obtain.

* healing Mages heal by converting a portion of their damage to heals: thus, low SP Mages are particularly ineffective healers, due to valour mitigation.

* healing Clerics heal values are effected by SP, but not to the same degree that DPS is (no valour mitigation on friendly heals) and do not need any +focus at all (no elemental resists on friendly heals).

None of this is to say that Rogues, Warriors, Mages or DPS Clerics are crap at low rank, necessarily - but if we ARE judging the best calling without high rank PvP OR raid-level PvE gear, then healing Cleric is the outstanding calling of the field.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast