+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Storm Caller

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default Storm Caller

    Daanika, GreenScale, lv 50, rank 25 pvp build, 32 SC, 28 Pyro, 6 in various combinations (warloc/Chloro/etc)

    I'v tried many different combinations of "Storm-caller" as primary, because the description told me its devastating when I joined Rift in January. Now I'm 11,000 into my soul attunement, rank 25 in pvp and I'm just junk. I'v been told the class was overpowered and got nerfed. So now , I'm the only noob idiot out there still trying to use the worthless class. There is no soul that needs to fear me, I'm the weakest on the field and out dps'd by most melee class's in Raids. There is something wrong with this picture. The Mighty "War Mage" is a laugh that no one will play cept a noob like me. So is the goal of nerfing to eliminate souls and simplify the game? Because Warfronts are loaded with Melee class's, mostly rogues for me, ,because I have no defense against them at all. Strange game when Melee class's dont have to fear a mage, and a healer can easily out heal the mage's dps. Pathetic, nice killing of a class, you should update their description, its horribly misleading. Storm Caller is junk in pvp and useless in Raids. So whats left? Crafting?

  2. #2
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    First of all I think your build is bad if you are going for a SC build. Secondly, even when SC were at their "overpowered" state they were still extremely frail and required healing support. They will be getting a lot better imo next patch with forked lightning hitting 8 targets. The key to an SC build is getting stacks of electrocute on multiple targets and then using lightning field for burst on multiple targets. With the number of specs running with cures though the SC burst set up can be completely negated by curing which is perhaps the biggest shortcoming of SCs especially in small scale combat.

    I think you would fine much more success having 10 warlock in there so you can opportunity cast forked lightning so you can get to bursting much quicker.

  3. #3
    Plane Walker fripples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post

    I think you would fine much more success having 10 warlock in there so you can opportunity cast forked lightning so you can get to bursting much quicker.
    tried that, don't bother. i have tried every possible combo with sc (i.e. sc/pyro, 51 sc/lock, sc/ele, etc.) and have scrapped them all. if you want to kill ppl, you gotta go with pyro or dom as one of the main souls. check out the rift mage forums for pvp specs and builds.
    Last edited by fripples; 03-21-2012 at 11:49 PM.

  4. #4
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fripples View Post
    tried that, don't bother. i have tried every possible combo with sc (i.e. sc/pyro, 51 sc/lock, sc/ele, etc.) and have scrapped them all. if you want to kill ppl, you gotta go with pyro or dom as one of the main souls. check out the rift mage forums for pvp specs and builds.
    ^ ^ ^

    SC was one of my fav souls (behind 51lock)..and ive tried so many times to make it work, so many combos. Can I kill with it? You bet. But IMO it is not worth doing. Even the burst of 3*electrified and lightfield is not worth it now (let alone waiting 2.5 secs for a "OMG this is so OP" 2.2k light burst (kinda what my inferno hits like)).

    What a great soul that became so useless.

    Bottomline: Stick to Pyro combos for DPS.

    Vampyre / Blackdeth
    (and Crayzee my 39 rogue twink)

    The Fallen Sons
    Last edited by Firebl@de; 03-22-2012 at 12:14 AM.

  5. #5
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fripples View Post
    tried that, don't bother. i have tried every possible combo with sc (i.e. sc/pyro, 51 sc/lock, sc/ele, etc.) and have scrapped them all. if you want to kill ppl, you gotta go with pyro or dom as one of the main souls. check out the rift mage forums for pvp specs and builds.
    I don't play SC in its current incarnation. I wrote the post because the OP apparently has it in his mind to play SC so I was giving him better options than what he is working with. I don't need any help with specs, thanks.

  6. #6
    Plane Walker fripples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    I don't play SC in its current incarnation. I wrote the post because the OP apparently has it in his mind to play SC so I was giving him better options than what he is working with. I don't need any help with specs, thanks.
    good, because the msg was intended for the OP. it wasn't meant for you, thanksssss.... =)
    Last edited by fripples; 03-22-2012 at 08:20 AM.

  7. #7
    Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    803

    Default

    I still play 51 sc a lot. IMO it was stronger with building storm if you knew how to use it but if you drop hailstorm > eye of the storm > lightning storm and then charged field you can still do some pretty heavy aoe. The other day i went 51-4 in scion with 51 sc. You need to be aware of who the good enemy dps are and avoid them when they focus you. You can escape all but a few specs with ride the wind. I'm a pretty easy kill for good assassins but if they don't have good damage reduction i can burn them before the bleeds kill me.

    You should only really use this spec for heavy AOE fights which mostly means scion bridge, wiping them on our boss in scion, codex point, and sometimes BG center. For 1v1 or small group you're probably better off with something else

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Funny, thanx for the advice but you're underestimating me, I have tried all possible aspects of it, every single mage sould with anywhere for 28 to 48 in SC, even less,, and sorry, my point to you is how useless it its compared to any other mage class. Setting Hypothermia and electricute is a no brainer, as well as Ice shard, your attempt at help was almost insulting, while completely failing to make any opinion on the uselessness of the soultree. My guild mates want me to dump it for raids , there simply is a better option, SC sucks, hence the post. A nice idea, mega nerfed to become useless in comparison to all other mage trees

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chancellor Gowron View Post
    I still play 51 sc a lot. IMO it was stronger with building storm if you knew how to use it but if you drop hailstorm > eye of the storm > lightning storm and then charged field you can still do some pretty heavy aoe. The other day i went 51-4 in scion with 51 sc. You need to be aware of who the good enemy dps are and avoid them when they focus you. You can escape all but a few specs with ride the wind. I'm a pretty easy kill for good assassins but if they don't have good damage reduction i can burn them before the bleeds kill me.

    You should only really use this spec for heavy AOE fights which mostly means scion bridge, wiping them on our boss in scion, codex point, and sometimes BG center. For 1v1 or small group you're probably better off with something else
    I totally agree with all this, but I think you admitted in there how useless it is. IMO, you play alot like me, cept I highly recommend you use 28 (or therebouts) in Pyro, for -.5 seconds on global cd and flicker, the crappy haste does nothing to get away from melee, they just range and stun you. And you mention the useless aoe's of the SC, hmm,, lets see once every 30 seconds for 6 seconds you can use both aoe's which do a little more damage (Only if combined simultaneously ) than the Pyro's instant cast, no cd aoe. Add up the damage over that 24 seconds the SC cannot cast, he's in cool down. and tell me how on earth thats better than Pyro, or any of the other mage aoes?

    Course Im not just referring to pvp, but a practical SC build all around is hard to achieve because they are weak and limited, requiring too much stacking to achieve what other mage does instantly.
    Last edited by Daanika; 03-23-2012 at 02:41 PM.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    First of all I think your build is bad if you are going for a SC build. Secondly, even when SC were at their "overpowered" state they were still extremely frail and required healing support. They will be getting a lot better imo next patch with forked lightning hitting 8 targets. The key to an SC build is getting stacks of electrocute on multiple targets and then using lightning field for burst on multiple targets. With the number of specs running with cures though the SC burst set up can be completely negated by curing which is perhaps the biggest shortcoming of SCs especially in small scale combat.

    I think you would fine much more success having 10 warlock in there so you can opportunity cast forked lightning so you can get to bursting much quicker.
    I'v been experementing with SC /Lock combos, the more I do the less I like SC(but Im looking for what you mention about opportunity), hence my point. SC sucks, for aoe I prefer Pyro(no cd or cast time), for pvp dominator/lock, etc. etc, point is how weak the class is. whats described as the most dangerous (BATTLE MAGE), has been reduced to some intricate mechanical POS that neither performs in pvp or dungeon / raid settings ( by the time you stack Hypo/electi/Iceshard, all other dps has beat you, making you look pathetic, or your already dead). To be usefull in One or two locations/ encounters on a whole map is just admitting how bad it is. And as a rank 25 (not 40), the reality of its lacking is really in your face in pvp , which only adds to my issue because no one want a dps Storm caller in their raid either.

    Sadly, Its the only class I want to play most, its not dark or evil, its not just support or healing, but supposed to be pure dps using the elements. It sadly falls far short of its calling, beat out by support class's , melee class, and other mage soul trees. I think it needs something put back to bring it at least up to par.

  11. #11
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Or you could just adjust and don't play 51 SC until a change comes. Why being stubborn in pvp using something that is not working for you. If it does not work for you, it does not work for your team, so change spec to something that you actually can make a difference with.

    With that said i do understand your point, that SC need love from developers, but until this happens, don't knock your self out, use specs that is useful for you

  12. #12
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    I don't play SC in its current incarnation. I wrote the post because the OP apparently has it in his mind to play SC so I was giving him better options than what he is working with. I don't need any help with specs, thanks.
    YES !! This person is right on and not trying to cover up a lost soul, SC is trash in Rift and everyone knows it. Fix it

  13. #13
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaa View Post
    Or you could just adjust and don't play 51 SC until a change comes. Why being stubborn in pvp using something that is not working for you. If it does not work for you, it does not work for your team, so change spec to something that you actually can make a difference with.

    With that said i do understand your point, that SC need love from developers, but until this happens, don't knock your self out, use specs that is useful for you

    Awsome! you are all nice people and thank you, least I feel heard ;), you rock

  14. #14
    Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daanika View Post
    I totally agree with all this, but I think you admitted in there how useless it is. IMO, you play alot like me, cept I highly recommend you use 28 (or therebouts) in Pyro, for -.5 seconds on global cd and flicker, the crappy haste does nothing to get away from melee, they just range and stun you. And you mention the useless aoe's of the SC, hmm,, lets see once every 30 seconds for 6 seconds you can use both aoe's which do a little more damage (Only if combined simultaneously ) than the Pyro's instant cast, no cd aoe. Add up the damage over that 24 seconds the SC cannot cast, he's in cool down. and tell me how on earth thats better than Pyro, or any of the other mage aoes?

    Course Im not just referring to pvp, but a practical SC build all around is hard to achieve because they are weak and limited, requiring too much stacking to achieve what other mage does instantly.
    Well 51 stormcaller is all about using eye of the storm to turn the tide of those big fights where both sides have a lot of healing. Here's an old video (as like a p5 with only 900 spellpower) I made showing its potential. I didn't even use hailstorm in the clip. It's not as strong now because building storm got removed but you can still wipe big groups with it if you use it at the right time or set up ice shear on multiple targets.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wDCiu5dDFw mute it if Snoop Dogg offends you and go to 1:55

    Admittedly it's only really a good spec when you have a team to put between you and the enemy when you get in trouble. You're right it's way easier to start a quick burst with pyro but SC has decent single target in prolonged encounters unless your electrified is getting cleansed. Also, you should carry major charge potions because SC has a ton of charge consuming abilities

  15. #15
    Champion Cime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    594

    Default

    51 SC was one of the builds that got hammered in 1.7 with the loss of the Archmage soul and introduction of the PVP pa. Why?

    1) lost 30% buff to crit dmg (archmage)
    2) lost 15% buff to dmg in pvp (archmage)
    3) all classes have access to up to -15% aoe dmg taken (SC is HEAVY on the aoes)
    4) overall increase to valor (this effects everyone)

    Combine these changes with SC still having a miserably long ramp up time and basically SC is extinct for PVP. Will making forked lightning hit 8 targets help SC in PVP? Honestly, I don't think so for two reasons. It's an AOE and is therefore dmg is nerfed 15%, and it does not speed up the miserably long ramp up for SC. Lightning Burst? Yeah, that's an AOE too...so you get to ramp up for a BIG finale that's also nerfed 15%. Sorry, but avoid SC. SC/domi MIGHT work, but again it's gonna run into the problem of #3 above.

    #3 directly affected several other mage builds too that rely on domi
    1) storm shackle - aoe
    2) Traitorous - aoe
    3) Mass Betrayal - aoe

    I'm PRAYING the -15% aoe dmg will be removed some day. Personally I think this was one of the stupidest things added to the PVP pa. AOEs are supposed to punish people for grouping up or not being smart enough to **** the fire.

    Some of the abilities and effects in the PVP pa were just poorly thought out. Perhaps they looked good on paper, but they ended up being absolutely HORRIBLE in practice.

    Thunderous Leap - warriors capable of 40m range (so much for that whole "range a warrior" idea)
    Cleanse Soul - yes, I know, it's no longer 5s...you're "I win" button vs mages is gone. Now, however, EVERY rogue is capable of dumping debuffs. EVERY BUILD
    -15% all aoe dmg - everyone? maybe this was Trion's attempt at getting 4HK warrior's in check?
    Stun/silence mitigation - Is there not enough DR in the game already? Is the 5s immunity from Break Free not enough? Maybe the immunity from Break Free needs to be removed since these passive reductions were added?
    etc etc etc
    But at least we can get married now!
    I'll be fishing in Codex...
    Nobodi - R8 Mage Defiant Deepwood
    Somebodi - 19 Rogue Guardian Deepwood (twink wannabe)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts