+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Arena possibilities???

Telaran

Default Arena possibilities???

Before the flamers start to flame, yes I am suggesting an idea straight from WOW. No I am not suggesting that the entire game change to wow, just asking the possibility of this one idea.

In wow, there were arenas where you could do 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5 in a controlled environment. In my personal experience, these allowed for people to specialize in very specific fights and gain some legitimate bragging rights. Then the top few percent of the server groups would get a nice reward and a title. Also, it opened these individuals with a certain rating to get better gear. IT REQUIRED YOU TO HAVE SOME SKILL TO GET THE BEST GEAR. NOT JUST A WHOLE LOT OF TIME ON YOUR HANDS!!!

Please consider this aspect of PVP to help with the competitive nature of MMOs
    Last edited by Clarith; 03-20-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    Covenant of the Phoenix - Deepwood
    Clarith - Rogue
    RG2 10/11 HK, 2/8 ID

Brb, gonna beat that dead horse.

Plane Walker

There is NOTHING competitive about an instanced warfront or battleground or arena, whatever you want to call it. Please stop suggesting PvP ideas from a PVE game.

PvP ideas should come from PvP games..

Daoc, UO, Warhammer, Shadowbane, Darkfall, EvE, Mortal Online and a ton of others..

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowboxerz View Post
    There is NOTHING competitive about an instanced warfront or battleground or arena, whatever you want to call it. Please stop suggesting PvP ideas from a PVE game.

PvP ideas should come from PvP games..

Daoc, UO, Warhammer, Shadowbane, Darkfall, EvE, Mortal Online and a ton of others..
    I'm still curious as to why you're still here. Rift is a PvE game after all, which as far as I can tell, you consider the worst thing since the black plague.

Back on topic.

Trion has stated before that Rift will not be an E-sport. They've also made reference to their unwillingness to consider any form of balancing around an e-sport. Based on this, the chances of us getting any form of arena system is pretty slim.
    Last edited by Meina; 03-20-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    I'm still curious as to why you're still here. Rift is a PvE game after all, which as far as I can tell, you consider the worst thing since the black plague.

Back on topic.

Trion has stated before that Rift will not be an E-sport. They've also made reference to their unwillingness to consider any form of balancing around an e-sport. Based on this, the chances of us getting any form of arena system is pretty slim.
    Who says so? The dev's never said what I think a PvP game should have will never happen, only you do.. Now off you go!

Who says so? The dev's never said what I think a PvP game should have will never happen, only you do.. Now off you go!
    You've said it yourself. Rift is a clone of WoW, which, in your opinion, is the epitome of bad PvP. Although I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion seeing as you've never played the game.

And, no, the dev's have not come right out and said a lot about what they will and will not do. But, based on what I've seen over the last year of playing this game and what little they have said, I sincerely doubt that you will get anything near what you want from this game.

I am positive, however, that at least some of your suggestions will never happen because they would require fundamental changes to the game. Changes that I am sure Trion will not be willing to make.

Regardless, what I'm really curious about is why you continue to waste your money on a game the obviously does not meet with your approval.

Plane Walker

You've said it yourself. Rift is a clone of WoW, which, in your opinion, is the epitome of bad PvP. Although I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion seeing as you've never played the game.

And, no, the dev's have not come right out and said a lot about what they will and will not do. But, based on what I've seen over the last year of playing this game and what little they have said, I sincerely doubt that you will get anything near what you want from this game.

I am positive, however, that at least some of your suggestions will never happen because they would require fundamental changes to the game. Changes that I am sure Trion will not be willing to make.

Regardless, what I'm really curious about is why you continue to waste your money on a game the obviously does not meet with your approval.

I'm not so sure why your so confident Trion will not make much needed changes. After seeing more than 50% of subs leave game and no signs of that changing back into a positive number, I can't think Trion is really ignorant enough to ignore things to the point it runs a game into the ground. I too own software that is suibscription based, if more than 50% of my customers cancelled in that short of a time span, I would realize I have some serious issues that need to be addressed. I would pour resources into whatever needed to be done to change it, however, Trion seems to be in the Profit stage and maybe your right, they won't spend any real money to fix the game as they are just milking it for whats its worth. Maybe not, we'll see.
    Last edited by Shadowboxerz; 03-20-2012 at 11:13 AM.

I just want one FFA arena somewhere in the world with an hourly prize (anyone recognize? )

For fighting and stuff.

I'm not so sure why your so confident Trion will not make much needed changes. After seeing more than 50% of subs leave game and no signs of that changing back into a positive number, I can't think Trion is really ignorant enough to ignore things to the point it runs a game into the ground. I too own software that is suibscription based, if more than 50% of my customers cancelled in that short of a time span, I would realize I have some serious issues that need to be addressed. I would pour resources into whatever needed to be done to change it, however, Trion seems to be in the Profit stage and maybe your right, they won't spend any real money to fix the game as they are just milking it for whats its worth. Maybe not, we'll see.
    lol

First, do you have actual data for Rift's subs? (I keep seeing numbers thrown around, but no sources.)

Second, what software do you own? I'm really curious.
    Victz

formerly Victz@Deepwood, Deepstrike, Dayblind, Seastone
    originally Vic@Ashstone
    PvP in 2.0 | Healing vids from the good old days.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by victz View Post
    lol

First, do you have actual data for Rift's subs? (I keep seeing numbers thrown around, but no sources.)

Second, what software do you own? I'm really curious.
    mmodata.net

I'll PM you

*not padding post count, got edit timed out:

I've always valued the idea of a free for all queue arena though, everyone queues, everyone starts in different positions, and fight to the death. No healers so everyone would have to run a dps spec. A cooldown on stealthing. something like that

If I made an individual post about this of course it would be flamed out of existence, and I agree that i would never ever be a winner (I'm not that good)

BUT, I also don't complain when I lose, it happens, so I'd enjoy this.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Brugist View Post
    BUT, I also don't complain when I lose, it happens, so I'd enjoy this.
    Rift needs more players like you

Yes, 50% is quite a loss, but I doubt that was all due to PvP issues. Some of it is normal attrition (i.e. people getting bored) and some was due to SW:TOR being released (oooh, the next new shiny!!), as well as some other reasons.

What you tend to suggest are drastic changes. Changes that would require quite a bit of retooling on Trion's part. Sure, there might be a market for what you suggest, but Rift does not serve that market. Just look around and you'll see that they're not interested in catering to the die hard PvP'ers that you want them to.

And, they aren't ignoring the problem. They are making PvP changes in the near future (or at least they're hinting at it). What these changes are nobody really knows yet but I doubt they're as drastic as you want them to be. I expect some added content (a new WF or two, maybe another stab at WPvP sites, w/e) which would go a long way to placating a lot of the current PvP player base.

They really don't need to completely retool PvP to make people happy. All they need to do is make a few smart changes and give us something interesting to do. If they do people will shut up, at least for a little while. Then I'm sure the moaning will begin again because, well, that's what people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brugist View Post
    I just want one FFA arena somewhere in the world with an hourly prize (anyone recognize? )

For fighting and stuff.
    This would be cool, and probably quite do-able.

Plane Walker

but Rift does not serve that market. Just look around and you'll see that they're not interested in catering to the die hard PvP'ers that you want them to.
    How so, I've seen as many if not more supporting my ideas than against them, those against seem to be the same 3 people. So that is not valid at all in any shape or form. The proof is in the pudding.

Sad to say, instanced PvP will never work in this game, sure you can add a new WF, than it gets old after the first few times and people are completely bored of scripted instances.

Changes I suggest is a system as to players would never get bored as a FFA sandbox map with no instances make the possibilities of what you can do for fun endless. A system that has no restrictions. A system that allows someone to have fun as they see fit - not as the Dev's or whiners see fit. Rather it be becoming a thief, a murderer, guild leader or just in a guild for sieges, crafter, middleman, run vendor shops, adventurer/Pver, griever, lone rogue that lives off the land, whatever.. That is the type of system that allows freedom and fun. Rift could do it if they want to, 250k subs is a nice chunk of change to get which would be REINVESTING into a game that should be trying to target more than just a PVE market, instead of paying the fat cats.They won't compete with WoW sub base in that Dept, so they better make some changes in PvP that you wouldnt dare to ever see in WoW.

There are 2 types of gaming companies. Innovators and imitators - Rift is clearly not leaning towards the innovator side.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast