+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Arena possibilities???

  1. #31
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    $10 on:

    No matter what, if there is a leader board or arena in any way shape or form, 2v2, 11v11, no matter what,

    Fallen Sons, Voodoo, Fires of Heaven, MMAC will be the top four competing teams, and it's odd that they are never the ones complaining, while most of the people complaining nobody has ever heard of all all they talk about is WoW

    I'm tired of "Arena" talk being non-factorpalooza. Arena works, do it. If you don't like it, play something else. It's existence doesn't hurt anyone who just avoids it altogether.
    This is a plain and simple answer for anyone who wants to know.

    If you're currently good at pvp then you support the idea of real competition. Instead of what we have now...500-50 BG wins while i stand in the center /yelling plz come down.

    If you suck at pvp then you make thread replies saying "WHI DONT YOU PLAY A REEL PVP GAYME???!" then go on to list alot of games that werent even out during this century.
    ~*Yayoh *~ - Derpwood.

  2. #32
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    There's "competition" and there's "competitive". While the 2 are related, there is a difference.

    A battle consisting of 1 person against 100 people would not be considered competitive unless that one person was some kind of wargod.

    What Spug was alluding to was that an even playing field ( in this case an instanced, evenly matched playing field) tends to be much more competitive than a battle skewed in one or the other side's favor. As such, instanced PvP tends to be more competitive than, say, an open world zerg vs a few lone players.
    Please go through other Pvp game forums and show me posts containing all of this zerg language, as I said earlier I heard the word mentioned more here in 2 months than all the time in online gaming 13+ years.

    Generally, I learned that people assume things because that is how they think and/or would do because they r the suck in PvP. It's not something that happens in a manner like you speak of. and generally these people people think that playing a 5 v 5 in an instance is the only chance they will ever have at a PK, more than likely by accident.

    Wrap up:

    People that are good in PvP don't complain about fairness and equal numbers or the fact that jacks sword has better stats than johns and whines until the cows come home.

    PvP isn't suppose to be on a even playing field.. PvP is an MMORPG is compared to say a war simulation. Can you see the U.S saying.. Guys we have too many troops in XYZ country... this clearly isn't fair, send some home to make it more fair...LMAO
    Last edited by Shadowboxerz; 03-20-2012 at 01:11 PM.

  3. #33
    Rift Disciple Brugist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I don't have a big epeen or anything so losing doesn't bother me (my poor keyboards though)
    But no I would be very happy with a FFA arena.

    Another thing I would enjoy, which I think could simply be implemented into both PVP/PVE servers, would be this... (btw flame on flamers please I'm cold)

    You know there's places you do dailies for different factions right? They could put a wardstone, or flag, or something in an area that is DIRECTLY PERTAINING TO THAT AREA that allows you to cap it, and the faction controlling said resource gets twice the rewards (xp,loot and items/tokens) from doing the dailys. As long as you control the objective when you turn in the quest you get double the rewards.

    Now, I would personally like this system to ONLY affect people who are pvp flagged (on pve-servers obviously), and if you're not flagged then you simply get normal rewards regardless of who controls the resource.

    I personally think that the problem with wardstones/pvp rifts is that the rewards are negligible and people only do them to get their weekly done. The wardstones really had no effect on gameplay so were ignored. This would allow likeminded people, who wanted to do certain objectives, a chance to pvp. I think that being so directly tied into the dailies/rewards will encourage pvp.

    I understand that it could lead to alot of griefing, a geared rogue with 300hit could probably just sit there ganking people for the hell of it and forget the dailies, but if you can't capture the objective no harm done just get the regular rewards. Maybe even (within 40-50 meters of the objective area or something) you get a small amount of favor per few seconds JUST FOR FIGHTING ANOTHER PLAYER.

    I think the problem with the world-pvp is that there aren't enough realtime, dynamic rewards to seem appealing to people. A direct double on your return for dailies is quite a reward, get your sets/goodies faster.

    This is just me tossing out ideas, doubt a developer will read it or that it will ever get implemented or anything, but this sounds as fun to me as anything else anyone has mentioned

    -Brugmansia
    Last edited by Brugist; 03-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.

  4. #34
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brugist View Post
    I don't have a big epeen or anything so losing doesn't bother me (my poor keyboards though)
    But no I would be very happy with a FFA arena.

    Another thing I would enjoy, which I think could simply be implemented into both PVP/PVE servers, would be this... (btw flame on flamers please I'm cold)

    You know there's places you do dailies for different factions right? They could put a wardstone, or flag, or something in an area that is DIRECTLY PERTAINING TO THAT AREA that allows you to cap it, and the faction controlling said resource gets twice the rewards (xp,loot and items/tokens) from doing the dailys. As long as you control the objective when you turn in the quest you get double the rewards.

    Now, I would personally like this system to ONLY affect people who are pvp flagged (on pve-servers obviously), and if you're not flagged then you simply get normal rewards regardless of who controls the resource.

    I personally think that the problem with wardstones/pvp rifts is that the rewards are negligible and people only do them to get their weekly done. The wardstones really had no effect on gameplay so were ignored. This would allow likeminded people, who wanted to do certain objectives, a chance to pvp. I think that being so directly tied into the dailies/rewards will encourage pvp.

    I understand that it could lead to alot of griefing, a geared rogue with 300hit could probably just sit there ganking people for the hell of it and forget the dailies, but if you can't capture the objective no harm done just get the regular rewards. Maybe even (within 40-50 meters of the objective area or something) you get a small amount of favor per few seconds JUST FOR FIGHTING ANOTHER PLAYER.

    I think the problem with the world-pvp is that there aren't enough realtime, dynamic rewards to seem appealing to people. A direct double on your return for dailies is quite a reward, get your sets/goodies faster.

    This is just me tossing out ideas, doubt a developer will read it or that it will ever get implemented or anything, but this sounds as fun to me as anything else anyone has mentioned

    -Brugmansia

    Nothing like removing instanced based PvP and forcing people out into the open world whereas a kill gets you to be able to loot their inventory on their grave... I'll take that over any other reward system .. pvp server only of course.

  5. #35
    Ascendant Stay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Arena was my favorite part of WoW and the major reason I played it for 4 years instead of 1 or 2. I would re-up my Rift subscription at least another 6 months the day they announced adding arena.

    Right now PvP has no endgame. Once you finish ranking/leveling, you're more or less done. Adding a PvP endgame of any kind would be a huge boost to content. For less development effort than it takes to make a new raid, you'd add hundreds of hours of gameplay for people who like to PvP.
    Last edited by Stay; 03-20-2012 at 02:08 PM.

  6. #36
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stay View Post
    Arena was my favorite part of WoW and the major reason I played it for 4 years instead of 1 or 2. I would re-up my Rift subscription at least another 6 months the day they announced adding arena.

    Right now PvP has no endgame. Once you finish ranking/leveling, you're more or less done. Adding a PvP endgame of any kind would be a huge boost to content. For less development effort than it takes to make a new raid, you'd add hundreds of hours of gameplay for people who like to PvP.
    If an arena is instanced based forget it.. If an arena is not instanced based just have open world FFA. Sometimes, even people in your own guild need to be killed to be taught a lesson, and this would bring some much needed justice. Players should rule that lands , not control based dev created.. It really just feels like one big play date with a parent setting rules and that is boring.
    Last edited by Shadowboxerz; 03-20-2012 at 03:14 PM.

  7. #37
    Rift Disciple Spug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowboxerz View Post
    Competition means competing for something of value. There isn't anything a winner gets in any aspect of the game in regards to PvP that anyone would actually call value or meaning.

    Compete: to strive to outdo another for acknowledgment, a prize, supremacy, profit, etc.; engage in a contest;

    Competition: the act of competing; rivalry for supremacy, a prize, etc.

    You cant just make up your own definitions on the fly their bud. Not that I give a ****, but an award doesn't need to be present for something to be competitive, or to be considered a competition. Simply a scoreboard at the end that acknowledged a win or loss wouldn't even be needed, as clearly "for supremacy" encompasses a winner and loser. But even that, but we're arguing semantics here and unimportant semantics at that.
    Last edited by Spug; 03-20-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    "The problem is that the people with the most ridiculous ideas are always the people who are most certain of them."

  8. #38
    Ascendant Stay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowboxerz View Post
    If an arena is instanced based forget it.. If an arena is not instanced based just have open world FFA.
    That's a totally different thing than arena. I didn't like world PvP, I liked arena. The things I liked most about it:

    - Balanced fights (same number of people, same team rating)
    - No mucking about with objectives to distract from the combat system
    - Tactical play due to small number of people
    - Rating ladders to encourage competition
    - On-demand access and matchmaking, little waiting

    World PvP doesn't really have any of those things and isn't what I want. Besides the hundreds of hours I'd spend in arena, I'd also level one of each class just to use it for arena. I did in WoW. That's like nearly a year of gameplay they'd give me and others like me. Without needing to design a single boss fight. It seems like a no-brainer.

  9. #39
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    $10 on:

    No matter what, if there is a leader board or arena in any way shape or form, 2v2, 11v11, no matter what,

    Fallen Sons, Voodoo, Fires of Heaven, MMAC will be the top four competing teams, and it's odd that they are never the ones complaining, while most of the people complaining nobody has ever heard of all all they talk about is WoW

    I'm tired of "Arena" talk being non-factorpalooza. Arena works, do it. If you don't like it, play something else. It's existence doesn't hurt anyone who just avoids it altogether.
    We all want it, we aren't gonna get it man. This horse has a hole beat in it lol.

    They are implementing leader boards, because we cried for competitive PvP. It is an easy way around the problem, and I think it is why a lot of us aren't playing anymore. It's nice they show they care "a little" but it is to little to late. I could be wrong, but it is how I feel.
    Last edited by Am0n; 03-20-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    "You lost me at Balance"

  10. #40
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    You are going to get banned again for even posting in this kind of thread.

  11. #41
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyaus View Post
    You are going to get banned again for even posting in this kind of thread.
    O jeez
    "You lost me at Balance"

  12. #42
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clarith View Post
    Before the flamers start to flame, yes I am suggesting an idea straight from WOW. No I am not suggesting that the entire game change to wow, just asking the possibility of this one idea.
    its not only wow with Arena 2v2 and so on and its not bad specially for people wana go more for team work with more tactics plans and i just noticed some one said "Rift is not PVP game its PVE" ....
    well let me say this any game with Faction vs Faction and multiple BGs its called PVP game now if you wana learn more Lord of the ring online is PVE Games Like Rift are PVP. if u dont understand visit:
    www.am-a-noob.com

  13. #43
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    I have nothing against arena's, however without careful thought they are dangerous. It would be a massive amount of work for the devs to get it even close to balanced. I just dont see them putting the effort in when the chances are it would generate more imbalance and QQ then already exists.

    I still fail to see the point of the pvp leaderboards unless its just a teeny tiny carrot to wave to try get PvP-ers to keep playing when they have lost interest.

    Personally i would like to see them unlock T2 of the attunement of war. Then, make cells unlock by kills so that every 400(?) kills would allow you to unlock 1 cell in that attunement only. In short, reward kills, specifically kills and nothing else (dont QQ healers, they still count from raid kills). Oh, and make world PvP kills count for double for a while to encourage it.

  14. #44
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowboxerz View Post
    There is NOTHING competitive about an instanced warfront or battleground or arena, whatever you want to call it. Please stop suggesting PvP ideas from a PVE game.

    PvP ideas should come from PvP games..

    Daoc, UO, Warhammer, Shadowbane, Darkfall, EvE, Mortal Online and a ton of others..
    The people in this thread that are against arena it probably couldn't cut it in wow arena. You HAVE to be a skilled PVPer to rise up those ranks and have considerable Wow experience.

    The comment above is surely from sort of random pugger who has never been involved in a premade in his life. By the way dude ive played most of the PVP games you mentioned above Warhammer in a high level PVP guild and most of the rest. If you don't think that Wow arena is competitive (which requires more of a "skill cap" than any of the games you mentioned), then im sorry to say but you have no clue what you are talking about.
    Last edited by Liryc; 03-21-2012 at 04:55 AM.

  15. #45
    Ascendant spaceboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liryc View Post
    The people in this thread that are against arena it probably couldn't cut it in wow arena. You HAVE to be a skilled PVPer to rise up those ranks and have considerable Wow experience.
    That's funny cause right now majority of the good players go to 2200, get their t2 weapon, sit there then just sell carries, or win trade up to glad.

    It's still just all for the carrots.

    If we could have a competitive arena, but I guarantee it would get screwed up.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 03-21-2012 at 05:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts