+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: My experience as a first time Twink

Default My experience as a first time Twink

Before I tried twinking, I always had trouble bringing down the "top" regular players that I would see in the warfronts (or on the battlegrounds in Wow). I just couldn't kill them. I'd maybe come close, but their health just never dropped as quickly as mine did.

So when Rift allowed XP locking, I locked at 29 and started getting really good planar and rafted gear.

The difference was simply astounding.

When I attacked people, their health bars just evaporated. I was able to defend objectives. I was able to take objectives. I was sometimes able to run in and "save the day".

I had found the "secret" that those other top players had been using. Maybe they had a guild and lots of play time to get gear. I now could get the gear I had lacked.

I twinked DPS classes for burst: first a marksman (29), then a pyro/dom (29), then a warrior (39).

With all three I now led in killing blows and damage most of the time. The marksman is the strongest and most useful. The pyro/dom is fun as well. The warrior is OK, but it feels lumbering and slow for me. I like moveent.

Anyway...now I could even take on multiple opponents.

My characters were recognized, and respected. Well, feared and resented maybe. But when I talked in chat I seemed to be more listened to, and never was mocked or sneered at.

Before, if the team I was assigned to sucked, then we lost. I would be brutally smacked around by the well-geared enemies with the rest of them.

Now, if my team sucks, we still lose...BUT, I feel I can still DO something.

That's why I twink: to be able to make a difference, and to not be so dependent on the random players I am assigned to.
    Last edited by Jural; 03-19-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Jural View Post
    Before I tried twinking, I always had trouble bringing down the "top" regular players that I would see in the warfronts (or on the battlegrounds in Wow). I just couldn't kill them. I'd maybe come close, but their health just never dropped as quickly as mine did.

So when Rift allowed XP locking, I locked at 29 and started getting really good planar and rafted gear.

The difference was simply astounding.

When I attacked people, their health bars just evaporated. I was able to defend objectives. I was able to take objectives. I was sometimes able to run in and "save the day".

I twinked DPS classes for burst: first a marksman (29), then a pyro/dom (29), then a warrior (39).

With all three I now led in killing blows and damage most of the time. The marksman is the strongest and most useful. The pyro/dom is fun as well. The warrior is OK, but it feels lumbering and slow for me. I like moveent.

Anyway...now I could even take on multiple opponents.

My characters were recognized, and respected. Well, feared and resented maybe. But when I talked in chat I seemed to be more listened to, and never was mocked or sneered at.

Before, if the team I was assigned to sucked, then we lost. I would be brutally smacked around by the well-geared enemies with the rest of them.

Now, if my team sucks, we still lose...BUT, I feel I can still DO something.

That's why I twink: to be able to make a difference, and to not be so dependent on the random players I am assigned to.
    "I twink because I am not good enough to make a difference on an even playing field."

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    "I twink because I am not good enough to make a difference on an even playing field."

I knew this reply would be coming. But think it though a little more, and read what I posted.

It was never, ever an even playing field. They had the gear; I did not.

Once I got the gear, it all changed.

Same player, top gear = top player.
    Last edited by Jural; 03-19-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Gear is a decent chunk of PvP in this game, though I would insist that some of it is psychological. Having top gear makes you feel powerful and gives you more room for mistakes, sometimes bringing out abilities in you that you may not have noticed while you were so busy feeling powerless in your low gear.

I mean I agree with the OP, I'm one of those who has a twink warrior and cleric, yet I had them before twinking was popular with lock xp. I would twink them out at every bracket, luckily i got to lock em at 39. But yeah the gear makes a big difference. It's fun.

I don't understand how people find twinking fun? Do you not want any competition?
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Robes View Post
    I don't understand how people find twinking fun? Do you not want any competition?
    It sounds to me like they have learned to play and can now compete with other twinks or better made groups. It's not like they have a monopoly on twinking, anybody can do it. Maybe they can make a warfront where everyone goes in naked, then we will see some competition, right? Till then twink away.
    Last edited by Riwijo; 03-19-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Robes View Post
    I don't understand how people find grinding to r40 fun. Do you not want any competition?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    I don't understand how people find grinding to r40 fun. Do you not want any competition?
    Your statement doesn't even compare to what he wrote. R40 is the "endgame" natural progression of pvp, twinking is not.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrial View Post
    Your statement doesn't even compare to what he wrote. R40 is the "endgame" natural progression of pvp, twinking is not.
    Uhhh wrong, Twinking apparently is part of natural progression now. And yes it is all about twinking after level 50 too...only it is not called that, is it?
    Last edited by Riwijo; 03-19-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Shadowlander

R40 is the "endgame" natural progression of pvp, twinking is not.
    When someone levels to 50 and starts getting their *** handed to them by people with ranked gear, is that natural endgame progression? How is that any different from a level 29 doing the same thing?
    Last edited by evilgrinners; 03-19-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by evilgrinners View Post
    When someone levels to 50 and starts getting their *** handed to them by people with ranked gear, is that natural endgame progression? How is that any different from a level 29 doing the same thing?
    No, because that is the endgame progression. You get to 50 and you continue to gain ranks. Twinking, locks exp gains, with the sole purpose of getting better equip to harass people who are naturally progressing.

Shadowlander

No, because that is the endgame progression. You get to 50 and you continue to gain ranks. Twinking, locks exp gains, with the sole purpose of getting better equip to harass people who are naturally progressing.
    That is my point. You can gain ranks and continue to put the beat down on people lower than you. New 50's will continue to level and be available to harass. So, natural progression by your definition is getting to level 50 and then grinding 40 more levels of PVP rank with no disparity between the ranked gear? Really?

You want your max level to be 50 (plus work toward up to R40 gear).

I want to level to 29 (plus work toward up to max gear of 28/29).

How are they different? The end goal is the same. You want more gear to be able to beat up your opponent. The only difference is that your level 50 is able to get way better gear at R40 than R1 (40 levels). The 29 is capped at 28/29 gear.
    Last edited by evilgrinners; 03-19-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by evilgrinners View Post
    That is my point. You can gain ranks and continue to put the beat down on people lower than you. New 50's will continue to level and be available to harass. So, natural progression by your definition is getting to level 50 and then grinding 40 more levels of PVP rank with no disparity between the ranked gear? Really?

You want your max level to be 50 (plus work toward up to R40 gear).

I want to level to 29 (plus work toward up to max gear of 28/29).

How are they different? The end goal is the same. You want more gear to be able to beat up your opponent.
    Because you are breaking the natural progression and locking your exp. Everyone who is level 50 and progressing in pvp is at the end of the pvp cycle. There's one reason, and one reason only that you lock your exp and gear up. You know the majority of people aren't doing it and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy thinking you're good.

Shadowlander

Because you are breaking the natural progression and locking your exp. Everyone who is level 50 and progressing in pvp is at the end of the pvp cycle. There's one reason, and one reason only that you lock your exp and gear up. You know the majority of people aren't doing it and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy thinking you're good.
    I'm not being difficult just to be difficult, first of all. I get what your saying and really what this whole conversation comes down to is that Trion put it in the game. If they didn't want it played like that they should remove it, period. If not, I'll continue to twink at 29 (because I can) when I'm bored of of grinding to R40 (at R38 currently).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast