+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Meduza's Pyro/Dom and my version of it.

Rift Master

Default Meduza's Pyro/Dom and my version of it.

So lately i been playing a little Pyro/Dom, what needs to be said is that i haven't played it in a Very long time (And never mastered it, maybe beacouse i NEVER play it). I usually run Pyro/Lock instead.

But the other day i felt so boored at my Pyro/lock build and the long casttimes that i just had to Play Pyro/dom a little somehow.

So i went into muduzas 23Domi/43Pyro (Think it's this one right, nevermind).
    And after playing it i notice 3 things.

1. The burst is awesome and you pawn most things if played right
    2. Those 2-3 warriors or NB/RS rogues (equal geared ofc) charging you is difficult to handle sometimes without split.
    3. Sometimes you are just overjumped by 4-5 mele at the same time and there is noway to survive that and getting away is not an option (here you usually die, fast btw)

So i started thinking (Yes, i acually do that sometimes), and i figured that if i only had a running skill in my build it would make getting away much much easier and increase the overall survivability.

So i came up with this and i bet people will think it suucks, but for me it works very good and ive seen several warriors and rogues /yell in frustration (all kinds of things, beacouse they are indeed pissed) when i "slip" away from their hands in 5vs1 situation and acually SURVIVE for once when i normally wouldn't.

37Pyro/6Archon/23Domi
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...Vo.McV0VzVM.-5

Picking up Flowing sand for "get out of jail card", one more shield and 5% fire dmg buff to make up for the dps loss putting 6 points into the soul.

Ofc you can go like 32Pyro/28Domi/5Archon if you want splits too, but i rather go for burst then relying on the 2min splits. And also it wouldn't make sence since 35Pyro/31Domi is faar superior to it and iam more focusing on making High Pyro/Dom overall better.

Edit: i Don't know if anyone posted a simular build before (I bet you have), but if so i didn't know about it.

Anyway wanna here some feedback, even bad feedback is good.

/Booobies
    Last edited by Swiftspell; 03-19-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Only thing i can say is no one spec is perfect for everyone. I know Medusa is comfortable with his spec and practices it constantly and as we can see it works for him. I like your variation of the build and if it works for you, you should go for it.

I think in the end is what your comfort zone is with a spec and i guess another big factor is how much you practice with it under pressure.

I'm just sad that only doms hybrids for mages run in pvp. Wish other dps specs were as viable T.T

Banned

Burning bonds and unbreakable bonds...find room in your spec for it.

The only way to become a good pyro dom is to fight a very good pyro dom and watch his buffs.

I think it looks like a very good spec...the sort of thing I would roll with, myself.

My only reservation is this....

I happen to think Priest's Lament is a must have...one of the most underrated skills in Rift.

I would go so far as to take a point out of Improved Glyphs of Power to get it.

In my experience, Glyphs of Power last about .5 seconds when you get into the fight, anyway...so I'd sacrifice part-time 1% Damage to get Priest's Lament.

That is just constructive criticism. Go with whatever works for you.

I like it.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Quote Originally Posted by LOveRH View Post
    I'm just sad that only doms hybrids for mages run in pvp. Wish other dps specs were as viable T.T
    51 pyro 15 archon is viable, not as good in 1v1 situation as a domi hyrbrid but I find 51 pryo to have more burst, once again though this is my preference because I kinda suck at pyro domi

Thanks for the journey RIFT - It's been fun

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftspell View Post
    But the other day i felt so boored at my Pyro/lock build and the long casttimes that i just had to Play Pyro/dom a little somehow.
    Dang, I love pyro/lock, I'm playing dot heavy/full mobility instead of a direct dmg playstyle, and I can tell you it makes it different and cooler (at least for me) compared to the 70% 51 pyro and 30% pyro/dom mages we see swarming around. And it works damn well for me, but obviously not vs good pyro/dom (I hate you Bleedz ;) ).

I like the idea behind your spec, and I pretty much agree with what LoverH said. Kiting is kinda hard in this game with all the close gap / immune / break free type of abilities (I look at you NB/RS rogues), the most effective way to kite around is pretty much having a % increase running speed skill, flicker, or a full mobility pyro/lock playstyle. How do you fare vs good NB/RS type of rogues without transference and TI?
    Effei - Seastone
    Dawn of Terror

Who needs swag when we will be in melee shredding you apart with Harbinger.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by LOveRH View Post
    Only thing i can say is no one spec is perfect for everyone. I know Medusa is comfortable with his spec and practices it constantly and as we can see it works for him. I like your variation of the build and if it works for you, you should go for it.

I think in the end is what your comfort zone is with a spec and i guess another big factor is how much you practice with it under pressure.

Yupp, you so right about the wishes for more viable specs then pyro/dom.

Playing pyro/dom and be really good at it takes its mage acually, need to pratice this a bit more since i just started out in the build.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Effeil View Post
    Dang, I love pyro/lock, I'm playing dot heavy/full mobility instead of a direct dmg playstyle, and I can tell you it makes it different and cooler (at least for me) compared to the 70% 51 pyro and 30% pyro/dom mages we see swarming around. And it works damn well for me, but obviously not vs good pyro/dom (I hate you Bleedz ;) ).

I like the idea behind your spec, and I pretty much agree with what LoverH said. Kiting is kinda hard in this game with all the close gap / immune / break free type of abilities (I look at you NB/RS rogues), the most effective way to kite around is pretty much having a % increase running speed skill, flicker, or a full mobility pyro/lock playstyle. How do you fare vs good NB/RS type of rogues without transference and TI?
    In this build 37Pyro/6Archon/23Domi i mostly try to open up on the NB/RS first and burst him down, if i cant, then flicker etc to get distance and keep fireballing him. And if he still dont go down, u pop ur running skill and loose. :P

Well i play a little different Pyro/lock build that is focusing on mobility and kiting.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...h.xxohzVqxo.-5

Ignite spam and Opportunity Proccs is a win, also it's VERY crit reliant so thats why choose Potency instead of Vitality in the Warlock tree unless ur crit is very high. (Dunno where the crit cap for mages is these days).

Anyway this build i have found out is awesome against all Rogues, Warriors and pyro/Dom mages out there. ( very good when you beeing pressured by several opponents) Only thing it can't kill is Sent/ward clerics and good Chloro/doms.
    But still supermobile, you can even spam that ignite thingy when you run away from your enemy since it's a dot. But it req you to run with atleast 2k-2.2k SP, (vengence included here) since it's very SP dependant aswell...

The thing is the burst of this build really can surprise your enemy, since they thing Pyro/locks normally run around and beeing very casttime dependant. :P

[Edit]
    Last edited by Alyn; 03-19-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: inappropriate comment

Tbh with my 51 pyro, 15 lock, 0 Archon I have no trouble kiting,
    I have an aoe slow, aoe stun, single target slow, single target stun, disarm, fear, unbreakable root, fail jail...

Pyrolock is the most amazing Mage kiting spec and it's dps is higher than any pyrodom build, because you get the fire damage bonus from full 51 pts, you get fulminate, and you can force click opportunity procs all day and never have a cast bar on a single thing, you can chase someone down never having to stop to cast a fireball, cinder, etc... and you get 10% more hp (or 8% and a heal that does 10% of you hp... the better choice) you also don't have to burn someones dmr timer.

Comparing pyro dom with pyro lock is just two preferential playstyles. People talk about pyrolock like it is a DoT class, but that's further from the truth, it's got the highest burst potential because you can stack 2 opportunity fireballs, a cinder proc, wildfire, inferno...
    Send a fireball at someone insta, send a cinder after it insta, flicker toward them insta the second fireball from melee range, all three hit at once (my favorite trick), finish with an inferno
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    Comparing pyro dom with pyro lock is just two preferential playstyles. People talk about pyrolock like it is a DoT class, but that's further from the truth, it's got the highest burst potential because you can stack 2 opportunity fireballs, a cinder proc, wildfire, inferno...
    Send a fireball at someone insta, send a cinder after it insta, flicker toward them insta the second fireball from melee range, all three hit at once (my favorite trick), finish with an inferno
    Like I said, I prefer playing heavier dot than 51 pyro/lock, Shadow life (for what it's worth with all the 50% passive healing reduction flying around everywhere) and Neddra's essence, really make up vs what I gain from going deeper in pyro, as I have an agressive playstyle. The burst really comes out about how you time your different procs, as you said, and line them up to deliver your gift, adding dark fury. The dots are underrated by the community. They put a really good pressure on your target. Also, having the option to switch from pyro armor to warlock armor back and forth is sweet in plenty of situations when you're stacked with dots, swarmed by rogues or need a little bit more defensive options. Oh yeah, I forget, Ocean's Wrath, the pve terrible HK proc dmg trinket, is amazing with this spec. 450-500 dmg proc, unaffected by mitigation, hell yeah.

But, back to main story, I don't think Swiftspell's spec would be great vs good NB/RS, missing transference and TI is a huge hit vs rogues as a dom. Knowing they are infesting pvp, personally, I couldn't play a spec that can't deal with GOOD rogues 1v1. Discuss.
    Last edited by Effeil; 03-19-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    Effei - Seastone
    Dawn of Terror

Who needs swag when we will be in melee shredding you apart with Harbinger.

Rift Master

Like I said, I prefer playing heavier dot than 51 pyro/lock, Shadow life (for what it's worth with all the 50% passive healing reduction flying around everywhere) and Neddra's essence, really make up vs what I gain from going deeper in pyro, as I have an agressive playstyle. The burst really comes out about how you time your different procs, as you said, and line them up to deliver your gift, adding dark fury. The dots are underrated by the community. They put a really good pressure on your target. Also, having the option to switch from pyro armor to warlock armor back and forth is sweet in plenty of situations when you're stacked with dots, swarmed by rogues or need a little bit more defensive options. Oh yeah, I forget, Ocean's Wrath, the pve terrible HK proc dmg trinket, is amazing with this spec. 450-500 dmg proc, unaffected by mitigation, hell yeah.

But, back to main story, I don't think Swiftspell's spec would be great vs good NB/RS, missing transference and TI is a huge hit vs rogues as a dom. Knowing they are infesting pvp, personally, I couldn't play a spec that can't deal with GOOD rogues 1v1. Discuss.
    Yes, But note my goal was to make meduzas high pyro/dom build more viable. Bleedz Pyro/dom handle Good NB/RS rogues Much better then this, but the build lacks in the ability to run away when you needs it. So i made the spec with the intention to be able to get away when i needed it without having to sacrifise to much burst power.

I personally hate NB/RS (They make me wanna quit the game forever, beacouse you can't CC them), but if i wanna really deal with them i roll 31chloro/35Dom and go on a killingspree. Only way i found to kill good NB/RS Rogues in Pyro/Dom is from 30M range, if they get closer then you will die must certain.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar View Post

My only reservation is this....

I happen to think Priest's Lament is a must have...one of the most underrated skills in Rift.

I disagree, its horrible and is a waste of CC timers.

Rift Disciple

Is fun the way you skip all the useful talents and skills.
    Transference, Reflective Presence, Lockdown, Split personality, Burning bonds.

You sure love spaming fireballs.
    Last edited by HUGEBUGOMGHELP; 03-19-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    I disagree, its horrible and is a waste of CC timers.
    ^ Probably the first time I have to agree with Seether It is not worth specing

-MissMosh aka Glassjaw
    Last edited by Division; 03-20-2012 at 12:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast