+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is mage still pyro/dom only?

Rift Disciple

Default Is mage still pyro/dom only?

Star wars pvp is easy to do well on but the classes and pvp are pretty simple and boring. I loved rift on my Mage/rogue/war for a long time but they made MM much simpler (no cd's to time well for burst etc) although I know it was actually a buff I just mean simpler. They also made mage pyro/dom only and took away sc/lock/chloro. I was still rocking with 51 pyro when I left but the patch I read recently seems to have nerfed all the bonus dmg to 51 pyro. Is this true? Warrior is a lot of fun for awhile but it gets boring for me also as the macro system really takes the fun out of it and you can't play at your full potential without it.

I am either coming back to rift or goign to Tera. What I loved about Rift was switching specs on the fly but it seems to me that most pvp specs are gone now. Pyro/dom does take some skill and I did have to learn it to get really good at it but I just hate the idea of cc>dmg>>cc>dmg repeat. I know its not any simpler than dmg>dmg>dmg lol but I just hate the feel of it and so I don't like to do pyro/dom for more than a couple hours at a time. Also with the big dmg in Rift I like mobility and burst while focusing on positioning. With pyro/dom escaping was always easy and with reflect etc. positioning was never as big of a factor. However, with pyro/dom you gave up some burst to get these benefits. it seems to me though that if 51 pyro's bonus dmg was taken then the classes would have near the same burst.

Is 51pyro a lot weaker now, and has anything been done to help out SC/lock/chloro and make them near the lvls they were before. I love playing the burst class that can take out the cross healed cleric if played well but it seems that this class may not exist anymore.

Also, is melee rogue still the simple 3 button decent dmg/mit class it was when I quit playing it or did they make a low dmg mit but high dmg spec? thanks!

I am not saying mage or rogue is weak at all as they were both great classes when spec'd properly when I left it is just I am curious if some of the versatility of specs was added back in. if so I'd want to come back to rift as this versatility is what made Rift such a great game.

Rift Disciple

chloro / dom

Mage has never been pyro/dom only. Pyro/lock is perfectly viable, as is 51 pyro and chloro/dom.

However, the days of running a spec like 51 warlock or 44+ stormcaller ended the day the PvP souls were removed. Warlock is getting a little bit of love next patch, but not enough to push it back into relevance as a main PvP dps soul.

Quote Originally Posted by HUGEBUGOMGHELP View Post
    chloro / dom
    Beat me to it
    Last edited by Robes; 03-17-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

As long as you run something with Viod Bolt you'll be okay.
    "You lost me at Balance"

Until spark is changed in some form, Pyro or Dom will be in every spec.

Pyrolock, chlorolock, pyrodom, chlorodom, full dom, pyrochloro, dom/pyro/sc, full pyro, or 51 archon if you're a 1337 bau5
    ~Quiescent

From someone's point of view who is NOT a mage, I would go as far as to say pyrodom isn't even a viable choice. Only 1 in 20 mages can actually do good with the spec, and the rest are just absolutely terrible at playing it.

Don't get me wrong, that 1 guy in 20 who does it well is absolutely amazing and extremely powerful (Oh God, Bleeds, I'm so happy you're a Defiant). But if you just don't have that mindset that they have... You're just a Blood Thirst proc.

I'd like to see more 51 doms on my teams, though, to be honest. I always wonder why I barely ever see them. I always want to roll a mage just to put down Mass Betrayal and laugh maniacally.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKomissar View Post
    I'd like to see more 51 doms on my teams, though, to be honest. I always wonder why I barely ever see them. I always want to roll a mage just to put down Mass Betrayal and laugh maniacally.
    51 Dom is one of those really amazing underplayed group utility specs that everyone ignores. Kinda like good VKs.
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    51 Dom is one of those really amazing underplayed group utility specs that everyone ignores. Kinda like good VKs.
    I play VK like a mad man.

pyrolock is the highest damaging mage, all things being equal.
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

Rift Disciple

From someone's point of view who is NOT a mage, I would go as far as to say pyrodom isn't even a viable choice. Only 1 in 20 mages can actually do good with the spec, and the rest are just absolutely terrible at playing it.
    You are wrong.

Pyro/Dom is one of the most easy mage specs, easy gameplay, easy skill rotation. just a few things to know to master the spec. good control mana drain probably the best offensive spec.
    The spec is based on burst damage, so if you have enaugh burst to disable your enemy in some seconds then you almost win. geartest spec

Chloro/Dom in my opinion is the best spec but i haven't seen anyone master chloro/dom yet (maybe becosue they dont need to master to be a pain)

Pyro/Lock i agree with you menaace, probably the most constant damage spec, but is very bad bursting, the spec needs to full charge first to start his damage and you have to wait cds sometimes. (still one of my favorite specs)
    Last edited by HUGEBUGOMGHELP; 03-17-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUGEBUGOMGHELP View Post
    You are wrong.

Pyro/Dom is one of the most easy mage specs, easy gameplay, easy skill rotation. just a few things to know to master the spec. good control mana drain probably the best offensive spec.
    The spec is based on burst damage, so if you have enaugh burst to disable your enemy in some seconds then you almost win. geartest spec

Chloro/Dom in my opinion is the best spec but i haven't seen anyone master chloro/dom yet (maybe becosue they dont need to master to be a pain)

Pyro/Lock i agree with you menaace, probably the most constant damage spec, but is very bad bursting, the spec needs to full charge first to start his damage and you have to wait cds sometimes. (still one of my favorite specs)
    If it's so easy how come most are so awful with it? Are they just THAT bad?

I haven't seen a pyrodom actually do good in at least a week. Now chlorodoms on the other hand... Oh lordy, lordy...

Rift Disciple

I haven't seen a pyrodom actually do good in at least a week.
    pick up one and you will understand what im saying, im not being aggresive just sharing with you a mage/rogue point of view.
    i find pyro/dom this way, very simple and effective spec probably the best spec if you are with some little pve gear.

i also try chloro/dom playing the spec terrible bad and i was able to win 1vs2 very easy
    Last edited by HUGEBUGOMGHELP; 03-17-2012 at 05:54 PM.

If it's so easy how come most are so awful with it? Are they just THAT bad?

I haven't seen a pyrodom actually do good in at least a week. Now chlorodoms on the other hand... Oh lordy, lordy...
    Do you really have to ask that? Yes, the overwhelming majority of people that PvP are just THAT bad. At least outside of dedicated premade queues. I generally queue solo, and it is just outright infuriating. I'm fairly sure most of them wear velcro shoes and a crash helmet IRL.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast