+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Trion, PvP and the playersbase. It is time for changes to be made before GW2 arrives!

I am as excited for GW2 as I am for getting a colonoscopy at 40.
    Even free cost too much now

I think regardless of what changes are made before GW2 arrives the people who have been waiting years for it to come out and fans of that type of pvp game are going to go.

I know quite a few pvpers that used this game and others as fillers for GW2 as I am sure we all have. Most of the games have been mediocre at best during the wait but Rift was a pleasant surprise.

The beauty is though with that game not having monthly fees there is no reason you can't play both.

Variety is the spice of life...

(With all of that being said it would be nice to continue to play with a lot of the players I met in Rift so those that are going should consider joining the same server so we could spank some other servers in WvW. Once the server lists come out I will talk to the baddy bads of Affinity and see if they mind me saying where we plan to go and maybe some other guilds will follow)
    Last edited by Baramos; 03-18-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

Quote Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
    I think regardless of what changes are made before GW2 arrives the people who have been waiting years for it to come out and fans of that type of pvp game are going to go.

I know quite a few pvpers that used this game and others as fillers for GW2 as I am sure we all have. Most of the games have been mediocre at best during the wait but Rift was a pleasant surprise.

The beauty is though with that game not having monthly fees there is no reason you can't play both.

Variety is the spice of life...

(With all of that being said it would be nice to continue to play with a lot of the players I met in Rift so those that are going should consider joining the same server so we could spank some other servers in WvW. Once the server lists come out I will talk to the baddy bads of Affinity and see if they mind me saying where we plan to go and maybe some other guilds will follow)
    I agree, I too will be playing both for now but sadly it will be pve here and PVP there or until I start playing pve over there a well then no need to play both. Because then I can have both when I need a little break from pvp I can go pve but based on the videos and my beta testing starting on April 10... I think I may be going to pvp heaven. However, I really hope that Rift does listen then I will be here for both.
    Drank at Conqueronline, Vanguard, AOC, WAR and AION. Currently collecting meh Beers at Rift! aka (Killforbeers)
    WHERE'S MEH BEERS !!
    Here meh 2 cents - Keep da change ya filthy animal...
    Nice day fer Murda

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    How many of you were going/went to SWTOR? Do we need a recap on how that turned out?
    I did not go to swtor why?? Because I'm an experienced gamer and I have a number 1 rule of gaming, NEVER EVER play a video game made after a movie. They all are terrible and never work out, I learned this through experience in my younger gaming days. Also I'm not a fan of the star wars sci fi aspect I enjoy more fantasy based game like rift, and guild wars.

Yes when guild wars 2 goes live yes I'll definitely be there and if the game is good enough I will very likely cancel my rift account, no reason to pay a monthly fee for a game I won't be playing since it's likely there will be better PvP to play elsewhere. PVP is why I play mmo's PvE always runs out of content. PvP is the end all be all imho.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by redrox View Post
    I did not go to swtor why?? Because I'm an experienced gamer and I have a number 1 rule of gaming, NEVER EVER play a video game made after a movie.
    Golden Eye. What is wrong with you?! BACK TO YOUR TURNIPS I SAY!

And no, seriously, GW2 is free and fine to have. I'm still not getting the long-term lure though. After a while it'll be some grinds here and there and having to deal with... that guy... and with any luck I'll be delightfully surprised. Not sure why people are making this out to be some amazing turn of events though. Bringing back memories of WAR and Conan and Aion and...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    I am as excited for GW2 as I am for getting a colonoscopy at 40.
    That's because you're 40. You need special pills to get "excited"...

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
    Except for time and inclination, MMOs take up far too much time for many of us to play two, even relatively low grind MMOs like Rift & GW2, plus if I enjoy the PvP in GW2 more, then why would I play Rift?

Quote Originally Posted by Flimble View Post
    Except for time and inclination, MMOs take up far too much time for many of us to play two, even relatively low grind MMOs like Rift & GW2, plus if I enjoy the PvP in GW2 more, then why would I play Rift?
    I don't have any grinds that I care about left in Rift which is why I just log on for a few solo queue warfronts each day or two and spend the majority of my time in SWToR with the rest of my guild. When it is an odd hour and my guild isn't on I still have fun switching back to Rift for some face melting.

There is no chance I would play two new games where I had a lot left to do in both but once you are established and geared out in both it is a lot easier to jump back and forth.

Edit - Once that other game comes out and I have new in game goals I won't be here nearly as much but once I get to a point I could see myself playing both even if I like that games pvp more.
    Last edited by Baramos; 03-19-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

Rift Disciple

Default GW2 Posts Like SWTOR Posts

Every time "the next great game" is on the horizon, players think they can use that as a threat to get Trion to change PvP. It happened with SWTOR and now GW2. The same thing happened in the WoW forums with Age of Conan, Warhammer, Aion, Tabula Rasa, etc., etc., ad nasuem.

Trion has bent over backwards to make PvPing a good experience for all players. You miss Wow PvP? You've got to be kidding or trolling. I spent 6 months, 40-50 hours a week grinding PvP in WoW to make High Warlord, and didn't make it because some other player on my server was grinding 60+ hours a week. If you did that in Rift, you would be fully geared in a month.

Trion does need to come up with a better system of continuing PvP rewards to keep players from leaving once they have maxed out. I've covered that in other posts, but, suffice to say, no way I miss WoW PvP.

As far as GW2 is concerned, it is F2P, which means what you get on day one will be what you get on the last day they close the server...boring, boring, and more boring. Might be fun for a month.

Trion have obviously crunched the figures over the months and realised a lot quicker than Blizzard did that pandering to "Pee Vee Pee" heroes isn't quite worth it

As people have already mentioned, PvP in most MMO's is just a waste of time and resources, at least Trion have done it a bit differently then most and have kept PvE and PvP changes seperate, a reason that drove me away from WoW is having to suffer constant "nerfs" or "balance" to my raiding char just to make it "viable" in their ridiculous allusion to having their Arenas as the new E-sport

So maybe you can all chant your mantras now, pray at the shrine of Gullible Wars 2, surely that next Messiah will save you all, bring you to your Utopia of perfect, balanced, RvR, Open World Pee Vee Pee you all believe in

Me? let's see, for the price of the Collectors Edition of Gullible Wars 2 i can pay for 18 months of Rift...tough call alright

Quote Originally Posted by Vegimatic View Post

As far as GW2 is concerned, it is F2P, which means what you get on day one will be what you get on the last day they close the server...
    Not sure where you got this idea about GW2 content but it is wrong nonetheless.

I for one enjoyed most of my HWL "grind" in WoW. Sure it was a lot more time spent getting HWL as opposed to rank 6 and then 8 later on but the pvp maps were definitely a lot more fun to the point where it didn't feel like a grind. Open world pvp in Rift was a lot more fun to me than open world in WoW so it just goes to show every game has its pros and cons. To each their own.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Vegimatic View Post
    As far as GW2 is concerned, it is F2P...
    Erm, no it isn't, which part of paying for the game, then paying for expansions confuses those who think it is f2p?

Games like ROM, LOL, etc are f2p, not GW2. GW2 uses the same model most games use, buy to play.
    Last edited by Flimble; 03-19-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Again, I have to point out that Trion has not been sitting idle when it comes to requests from the PvP player base.

They've made a number of changes based on what has been said on these forums. They do listen. They may not always give us exactly what we want, but their trying to placate the PvP player base. They've also made these changes in a somewhat timely manner, compared to the average response time of most MMO providers.

Stop and think about what it takes to make changes in a game like this. For example, a lot of players are asking for an RvR style zone. This takes a lot of dev time to accomplish. You can't just throw a switch and, poof, there it is.

People have also been asking for a reason to World PvP. They've given us that, twice in the form of wardstones and PvP rifts. What happened? No one showed up or, if they did bother to show up, only played as long as it took to get the shinies.

This is not a problem with Trion not giving us what we want. It's a problem with the fickle nature of your average MMO player, and especially the PvP MMO player. "We want it all, we want it exactly like we want it and we WANT IT NAOW!!" seems to be the battle cry around here. Well, that's just not gonna happen. Even if Trion did try to answer to "we want it now", we'd end up with a ton of half thought out, buggy and probably unplayable crap.

And what makes it worse is "we want exactly what we want" changes on a day to day basis and a person by person basis. The fist hurdle Trion has to jump is ascertaining exactly what the PvP player base, as a whole, wants. This itself takes time to figure out.

People are correct, though, in stating that PvP is not Trion's primary focus. Obviously, like many games of this type, they focus more on the PvE aspect of the game. That's their bread and butter. That's where most of the revenue stream originates. Even though, they've tried to cater to the PvP crowd. Maybe not to the extent that some of us would like, but they have made the effort.
    Last edited by Meina; 03-19-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    Again, I have to point out that Trion has not been sitting idle when it comes to requests from the PvP player base.

They've made a number of changes based on what has been said on these forums. They do listen. They may not always give us exactly what we want, but their trying to placate the PvP player base. They've also made these changes in a somewhat timely manner, compared to the average response time of most MMO providers.

Stop and think about what it takes to make changes in a game like this. For example, a lot of players are asking for an RvR style zone. This takes a lot of dev time to accomplish. You can't just throw a switch and, poof, there it is.

People have also been asking for a reason to World PvP. They've given us that, twice in the form of wardstones and PvP rifts. What happened? No one showed up or, if they did bother to show up, only played as long as it took to get the shinies.

This is not a problem with Trion not giving us what we want. It's a problem with the fickle nature of your average MMO player, and especially the PvP MMO player. "We want it all, we want it exactly like we want it and we WANT IT NAOW!!" seems to be the battle cry around here. Well, that's just not gonna happen. Even if Trion did try to answer to "we want it now", we'd end up with a ton of half thought out, buggy and probably unplayable crap.

And what makes it worse is "we want exactly what we want" changes on a day to day basis and a person by person basis. The fist hurdle Trion has to jump is ascertaining exactly what the PvP player base, as a whole, wants. This itself takes time to figure out.

People are correct, though, in stating that PvP is not Trion's primary focus. Obviously, like many games of this type, they focus more on the PvE aspect of the game. That's their bread and butter. That's where most of the revenue stream originates. Even though, they've tried to cater to the PvP crowd. Maybe not to the extent that some of us would like, but they have made the effort.
    My dear,

PvP rifts and Wardstones is NOT world PvP.

World PvP is a FFA sandbox system. Rift clearly does not have world PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowboxerz View Post
    My dear,

PvP rifts and Wardstones is NOT world PvP.

World PvP is a FFA sandbox system. Rift clearly does not have world PvP.
    This all depends on who you talk to. The basic definition of World PvP is "PvP that happens in the open world". As in non-instanced PvP.

Your definition, and others I'd guess, might differ from this but at the heart of it this is what most people refer to as world PvP.

Going by this definition, PvP rifts and wardstones were, indeed, WPvP. They were meant to be catalysts that spurred spontaneous, non-instanced WPvP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast