+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New member not happy

Default New member not happy

Hello all,

I am new to rift and came here because I heard twinking was viable in January. I immediately fell in love with the game and subbed for a year. Instead of rolling to 50 I created some 19 twinks, making money off of farming low level mats. I got my battlemaster source engine and loaded it with epic essences from the world event merchant. I also farmed beads and tickets to make money with artifacts, etc. I was sitting at 600 tickets to purchase artifact boxes, walk over 5 mintes after the update the other day to see they now cost 100 tickets. I was unhappy in the fact that I was given no warning. I understand the reasoning but a heads up would have been nice. Now today, I log on and my battlemaster source engine is BOP but requires lvl 50 on a 19 twink which I am not going to level. I lost all the time, favor, and beads I used to obtain this. Anyway, sorry if this seems like a rant, I am more wondering if this is the way the game goes from player experience? I liked the game so much and in 2 days they took what I liked about the game away with no forwarning or refund of the items purchased. I will be trying to get my money back if this is typical of the game.
    Shadowpoison (rogue); Shadowmorgue (warrior); Deathlock (mage); Deathpriest (cleric); Deathpoison (19 twink rogue)

Unfortunately, this is a situation where not everyone can be made happy. Trion listens to its customers, and many of those customers were very unhappy with twinking. They acted on this. Of course, no matter what decision they made would cause SOMEONE to be angry, so this was a lose lose.

After time and debate, looking at forum information as well as their own game information, they made their choice. Personally, I'm happy with the choice they made. But I can see how it would be frustrating to someone who wanted to twink.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

I like all the new changes. Each thing is making the game more and more interesting to me. Though, I understand where it could tick some people off.

Not saying you don't or anything, but do you check the Patch notes? Those usually hold some clue about what they're changing to give you a 'slight' heads up. The notes on this forum also help.

Shadowlander

Twinking is never going to be catered to when it affects the gameplay of others in a detrimental way.

The focus of an MMO is always going to be getting to 50 and then participating in end-game. Playing an MMO solely to twink, (which is a sign of being a bad PvPer since you're mostly just rolling new players and/or aren't good enough to handle the complex set of skills that comes with max level PvP - it's a hell of a cop-out to do nothing but twink), is never going to be a fulfilling experience because, frankly, no one is going to waste resources to make sure you get to keep twinking in the way you want to.

Also, learn to check patch notes.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 03-16-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Twinking is never going to be catered to when it affects the gameplay of others in a detrimental way.

ehrr... twinking isn't the issue here, he could have farmed the tickets on one char. it's about the communication and how it was handled. I thought the "I was unhappy in the fact that I was given no warning" gave it away...
    and he's not alone: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ow-really.html

* Random Artifact boxes have had their prices and prize rates adjusted to match currency gains.

yeah, because that absolutely implies that boxes now cost TEN TIMES the former price...
    Last edited by Gray; 03-16-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    ehrr... twinking isn't the issue here, he could have farmed the tickets on one char. it's about the communication and how it was handled. I thought the "I was unhappy in the fact that I was given no warning" gave it away...
    and he's not alone: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ow-really.html

* Random Artifact boxes have had their prices and prize rates adjusted to match currency gains.

yeah, because that absolutely implies that boxes now cost TEN TIMES the former price...
    Now today, I log on and my battlemaster source engine is BOP but requires lvl 50 on a 19 twink which I am not going to level. I lost all the time, favor, and beads I used to obtain this.
    Nah, sounds to me like he's more butthurt that his source engine doesn't work on his twink anymore than that the boxes now cost 100 each.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 03-16-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Honestly it's pretty obvious these level 50 items are not meant to be used for level 19 pvp

Nah, sounds to me like he's butthurt that his source engine doesn't work on his toon anymore.
    I concur. Twinking is for those who can't hack the real thing
    Pentium 233 (MMX!)
    128k 32 pin simm
    80 mb seagate hd
    external Iomega zip drive
    Intel onboard video (3DFX Voodoo2 Acceleration)
    creative sound blaster 8 bit

Shadowlander

So you are angry that you can't be OP anymore, and that you have to play fair with the other kids?

The focus of an MMO is always going to be getting to 50 and then participating in end-game. Playing an MMO solely to twink, (which is a sign of being a bad PvPer since you're mostly just rolling new players and/or aren't good enough to handle the complex set of skills that comes with max level PvP - it's a hell of a cop-out to do nothing but twink), is never going to be a fulfilling experience because, frankly, no one is going to waste resources to make sure you get to keep twinking in the way you want to.

This.

+five

Shadowlander

Item 1: "I only came to play this MMO so I could stroke my ego by killing undergeared, low-level characters with the overpowered items I farmed from World Events."

Item 2: "Now that those overpowered items have been corrected it's unfair because I can't use them anymore, even though they clearly weren't meant for me."

Item 3: "So now I'm taking my ball and going home."

Item 4: "Waaaah."
    Last edited by jackofwind; 03-16-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Rift Chaser

I love how the thought of actually gearing yourself up against twinks never even gets considered. (twinks do not use any gear you all do not have access to)

You are all truly bad at mmos.

Item 1. I should be able to smoke people with better gear than me even though I am missing gear completely from some slots and have greens in the rest. Essences meh I shouldn't need any.

Item 2. Cry on forums about "OP" twinks.

Item 3. Profit from own badness and qqing.

you people make me physically ill.
    Jogyn@Seastone P8 Rogue
    Jogyn@Brocliff P2 Cleric
    Kitethis@Seastone 39

this topic has nothing to do with gearing up, it is about using level 50 gear

Soulwalker

Item 1: "I only came to play this MMO so I could stroke my ego by killing undergeared, low-level characters with the overpowered items I farmed from World Events."

Item 2: "Now that those overpowered items have been corrected it's unfair because I can't use them anymore, even though they clearly weren't meant for me."

Item 3: "So now I'm taking my ball and going home."

Item 4: "Waaaah."
    I agree with this 100%. It is because of twinking in the WF's, which I primarily do for leveling because I have more enjoyment doing that then grinding through dungeons, as why I unsubscribed today. I haven't been on in about a week now. It is no fun to either steam roll players even in 40s bracket or be steam rolled by the massive amount of 49 twinks now. When a whole guild stops at 49 for this reason it is time to go IMO. Oh well GW2 right around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargawd View Post
    I love how the thought of actually gearing yourself up against twinks never even gets considered. (twinks do not use any gear you all do not have access to)

You are all truly bad at mmos.

Item 1. I should be able to smoke people with better gear than me even though I am missing gear completely from some slots and have greens in the rest. Essences meh I shouldn't need any.

Item 2. Cry on forums about "OP" twinks.

Item 3. Profit from own badness and qqing.

you people make me physically ill.
    Luckily, this patch didn't stop any of that. Please feel free to continue gearing up using gear intended for your own level. In fact, Trion helped support you in doing so with this patch, by helping alleviate the concern of using items you were never intended to.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast