+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: I'm tired of being a merc.

Default I'm tired of being a merc.

pvp. it's meh. especially when im playing for a group in which when i didn't roll a toon to play for them. I am defiant and I play defiant. I don't want to be a guardian. the mercenary system is hated by everyone i talk to about it. Get rid of it already. it's a pain and we don't like it. It just provokes some people to say f it and afk during bgs when their playing the team they want to kill.

i wouldn't say get rid of it, but rather have it optional for those that do like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zjosh86 View Post
    pvp. it's meh. especially when im playing for a group in which when i didn't roll a toon to play for them. I am defiant and I play defiant. I don't want to be a guardian. the mercenary system is hated by everyone i talk to about it. Get rid of it already. it's a pain and we don't like it. It just provokes some people to say f it and afk during bgs when their playing the team they want to kill.
    Who is we? Speak for yourself.

And if you claim everyone you have spoken to is against it, I would imagine you have a very small social circle in game.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Rather than bash the OP, I understand where he's coming from.

I do not like being forced to merc. Before you say "You're not forced into anything" look at it from my/our point of view.

We want to PvP. So, we join a WF. All of a sudden, we're assigned to the very people we were fighting a few moments ago. Do we afk? Do we take the debuff and leave? The point is: why should we have to? Nobody else does, just unwilling mercs.

Where is the faction pride? Why have factions at all? Why not just lump everyone together and let us FFA till the last man standing?

The answer is simple. Guardians and Defiants are separate. It goes against everything in the lore (and the original game design) to make us "mingle."

I understand that it shortens queue times. I understand that it fills out otherwise empty raid groups, and I wouldn't mind it if it was something I wanted to do, but in a game of so many choices, it is somehow wrong to force me to play for a side I have no desire to be on.

Until they change the merc system to an opt-out (or opt-in, whichever) I will fight valiantly for which ever side I am assigned to.

It doesn't mean I have to like it.
    "If you argue for your limitations, you get to keep them" - Richard Bach
    "Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness..." - Anonymous

Great list of help for new players! Click Here!

Plane Walker

Playing WF is an OPTION. Nobody forces you to do so.

This is like saying I don't like being grouped with tools from PVE shards in a dungeon LFG. It's optional for me to go to a dungeon VIA LFG. Simple, I don't do it.

Best I can tell you is to make it fun for you. I run a crappy spec that makes me chuckle, I mark my own team at random, and I run around and loot. Sometimes I take off all of my gear but the boots and try to /dance people to death.
    Even free cost too much now

Soulwalker

Yeah I was just telling my friends how when I played WAR that my character was pretty much maxed and I didn't get much from PVPing, but I still did it because I enjoyed helping MY faction and denying the OTHER faction from advancing.

With the merc system, I kind of feel that I won't be doing WFs as much once I get all the gear :/

However, with the merc system, there is a possibility of new WFs in the future that will a new team or more. Imagine a warfront with 3 or 4 teams, would be interesting right? The video they released about what's coming up kinda hinted at it

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    Okay, here it is again (man, I really need to notepad this so I can C&P it next time).

1) Everyone queues as they do now.
    2) When the WF pops, you will be notified that you have been chosen to be a merc on the invite screen.
    3) On the invite screen, there will be an additional, new button that says "I don't wanna be no stupid merc!", or something like that.
    4) If you choose the "Don't wanna merc" button, you are removed from the current list of invites and you will wait until the next WF where you do not have to be a merc becomes available.
    5) When a WF becomes available where you don't have to be a merc, you get a new invite to that WF. At this point you either enter the WF or leave the queue, just the way it is now.

Items of note:
    1) There is no permanent opt out setting. Everything is handled on a case by case basis within the queue system during each queue. This will keep the status of sync queuing just as it is now.

2) If you leave the queue, be it to enter a WF or bail on the queue to requeue, your opt out setting is reset. Every time you queue you will run the same chance of being chosen as a merc. Again, this keeps the status of sync queuing just as it is now and it also makes people would tend to opt out make that decision every time they get chosen as a merc.

3) By opting out you, in essence, step out of the line giving your spot to the next person in line. This means the person opting out will have to wait a bit longer for his / her WF while the people behind him / her move up in line. In other words, if the next person in line has no preference in regards to mercing, he / she will be invited to the WF that you just opted out of. If 2 people opt out, the next 2 people get an invite to the currently populating WF. If 3 opt out, the next 3 get invites. And so on.

So, in theory...

1) People opting out will experience slightly longer queue times while they wait for a WF where they won't have to be a merc.

2) People that do not have a preference to which side they play on could experience shorter queue times as they will be moved up in line whenever someone opts out.

3) If the claims that the people who would want to opt out make a small minority of the player base, there should be no noticeable increase in the average queue times because of 1 and 2 above.

If those claims are incorrect and there are more people who would opt out than we imagine, then queue times might go up marginally, as in double, maybe triple what they are now. That's still less than a minute and a half to two minutes, if the current average wait times have been reported accurately here on the forums.

If the people claiming that the number of people who would want to opt out is waaaay off, and they do indeed make up the majority, yes, queue times would go up quite a bit. The thing is, if this turns out to be the case, Trion needs to find a new fix for long queues because, obviously, the pro-option crowd makes up the majority.

I'll also point out that since the recent exodus and the recent server shuffle, I can't say for sure that there still is a faction balance problem. I base this on the fact that there seems to be inconsistencies in the merc system in regards to who gets merced and when. In my experience, a Guardian is just as likely to get merced as a Defiant, (I'm personally running between 40 to 50 %, as a Guardian) which would not be the case if Defiants still outnumbered Guardians by the margin people claim.

(Did I miss anything?)
    Sooo many merc threads.

The above, thought out ideas, are in http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...mercenary.html thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Who is we? Speak for yourself.

And if you claim everyone you have spoken to is against it, I would imagine you have a very small social circle in game.
    i've never heard any1 i know say they liked it either, heard only the opposite

every merc i've heard from on my team has expressed they hate it

Quote Originally Posted by Zjosh86 View Post
    the mercenary system is hated by everyone i talk to about it.
    Well, talk to me about it and you will no longer be able to say that.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Sykk View Post
    i've never heard any1 i know say they liked it either, heard only the opposite

every merc i've heard from on my team has expressed they hate it
    Do they also hate the fixed Queue times? ask defiants especially because they are the higher populated faction mostly.
    See you all in Wildstar!

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    Best I can tell you is to make it fun for you. I run a crappy spec that makes me chuckle, I mark my own team at random, and I run around and loot. Sometimes I take off all of my gear but the boots and try to /dance people to death.
    The whole double agent concept lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    Let's start with "make it fun for you". If that "makes it fun for you", what have you been doing the whole time actually playing WFs properly? By what you say, it sounds like not having fun. I deduct from this post that the merc system has improved your enjoyment of WF's because you finally started doing what makes it fun for *you*. That is if...you are having fun.
    Last edited by Violacea; 03-15-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Total win being merc'd. I get to kill dwarfs.

At the beginning, I have same feeling of u . but i'm get used to it now.
    For myself, it is player vs player, no matter who and what faction they are.
    merc encourage premade queue and speed up the queue as well, which is win win for both sides.
    why merc annoying you/ us , is the (old) concept from other mmorpg.
    In fact it is kinda boosting faction "racist", encourage people "hating" each other, and "indirectly" encourage competition, which is not essential
    btw, If u are really like pvp, it is all same as a match...and the only exception is Roleplay server imo

just 2 cents. my personal thought
    Last edited by melchiorng; 03-15-2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo
    Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast