+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Player-Thoughts on twinking.

Telaran

Default New Player-Thoughts on twinking.

I'm not really against twinking. It happens to some degree in most MMOs. Gear will be a factor at any level.

My problem is that in RIFT it seems that the gap between a new player with normal gear obtained during leveling and even a moderately twinked character is too large. Now obviously the only reason I even care at this point is because I am leveling. But also I just came from another game that for all of its faults and mediocrity....actually did low level pvp correctly(IMO). SWTOR.

Its bolster mechanic is the best solution for low level pvp balance in any MMO I have ever played. Say what you will about the game but they got that part right. A low level player in leveling gear has a solid chance against much higher level players in better gear. The higher level and geared player still has a very real and obvious advantage but it's not insurmountable.

I know this mechanic exists to some degree in RIFT. But it is completely inadequate.

I also understand that at the level cap there is going to a be a similar issue where a new player is not going to be able to compete with geared players. I'm okay with that. It's the nature of MMOs. There has to be progression. But I believe it's sort of a false equivalence to say that just because it happens at the level cap that it's okay for it to happen at lower levels.

That is not a very appealing system to new players. I guess that you have to balance retention of veteran players who the current system appeals to. And people just starting, or coming back to the game. I know that this is a controversial subject. No I'm not mad. I just think you can do better.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by The Crab View Post
    My problem is that in RIFT it seems that the gap between a new player with normal gear obtained during leveling and even a moderately twinked character is too large. Now obviously the only reason I even care at this point is because I am leveling. But also I just came from another game that for all of its faults and mediocrity....actually did low level pvp correctly(IMO). SWTOR.

Its bolster mechanic is the best solution for low level pvp balance in any MMO I have ever played. Say what you will about the game but they got that part right. A low level player in leveling gear has a solid chance against much higher level players in better gear. The higher level and geared player still has a very real and obvious advantage but it's not insurmountable.

I know this mechanic exists to some degree in RIFT. But it is completely inadequate.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crab View Post
    It's the nature of MMOs.
    PvP fails and dies a slow death in virutlly every MMO, because with very rare exceptions they are too busy copying the same failed ideas, Rift is no differnet and can't seem to grasp big gear progression = bad PvP, you'd think the fact that zillions of people continue to play DOTAs, RTS, FPS, etc without signiifcant gear progression would be a clue.
    Last edited by Flimble; 03-12-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Rift Chaser

Twinking is a difficult issue, some players love it, others loath it.

But game designers will always have to incorporate the ability to do so in MMO games because the percentage of players who like it are established clients paying a subscription.

And on that point it takes a fair amount of effort to do it to the degree that gear alone excluding skill gives a guaranteed win.

Best view to have is to consul yourself with the fact that you can easily out level a twink, run a few instances even at low levels means you pick up gear and added levels very quickly.

Finally overall balance is not easy in any MMO, and I suppose its important to get right at high levels first

+ Reply to Thread