+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Robes

Thread: Runner rogues and healers

Shadowlander

Default Runner rogues and healers

In short I will say please don't nerf them.

In the longer format I would have to say that both of these nerfs specifically have nothing to do with game imbalance and everything to do with player laziness.

I have in the past been in favor of certain nerfs (who ever thought a AOE spammable vampiric heal debuff was a good idea should probably at least be smacked around a bit by their boss) But this case is very different, nerfs should not undermine the very purpose of the role. As it does in the case of these two classes, in the case of rogues this would be speed and agility and in the case of healers it would be the ability to adequately heal their team. Asking for nerfs in either of these cases is silly.

Rogue runners are important because they make having a sound defensive strategy based on prevention not retrieval advisable. This requires that a team think about the balance in assets between offense and defense which is, and should remain a important question in such situations. If your team thinks that retrieval is a sound defensive strategy the loss you suffer at the hand of runner rogues is well deserved. Runner rogues are a nuisance but they fill a important role in making sure that the defensive strategy is not one or no one guarding the stone. Not counting on getting it back after it has been taken. There is a old saying that says "a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." It takes the exact same amount of time for a carrier to pick up the stone as it does any other spec until they get a hold of that stone they are nothing special. Asking runners to be nerfed is simply saying that you want your cure to be artificially made so good that you don't even have to bother with prevention in the first place.

Now onto the healers this again comes back to the importance of diversity in assets and working together as a team healers are the ultimate force multiplier. I have noticed that there is a world of difference in taking out a healer with for example a VK around compared to only pure DPS grinding him down. One of the problems I see that has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with us players. Even though Trion has given us the ability to change specs freely when out of combat we do not use this ability to its fullest. This is all done in the name of "people should just play whatever they want" while this certainly is a point one should not complain or demand nerfs from the developers because team mates don't want to give up their DPS for something that is actually needed by the team. For all the grief we give clerics for being DPS I see none of that same ire for warriors who can be very well suited to shutting down the other teams healers or Doms either. Yes a warrior in a VK variants DPS generally stinks on the board at the end of the match. However if you were to attribute the damage he/she does to the opposing healers mana bars or the reduction of output in silences to a "virtual DPS" I suspect the number would be rather impressive. The very same goes for Dom specs as well.

There is no need to nerf either of these types if the opposing team wants to value DPS>everything else, they honestly deserve to lose. Healers will always be a easy target to cry about for the nerf bat because they specialize in putting hit points back in a large group of characters, while DPS specializes in taking hit points out of those same players, but DPS players outnumber healers at a substantial ratio so the cries are naturally louder. When a single solitary or even two DPS decide to focus on a single healer of course they cannot take it down by themselves, they have no utility and are trying to brute force against a healers greatest strength of putting hit points back in.

In PVP there is too much emphasis on DPS and not enough emphasis on doing what specifically is needed to win. I believe it is likely everyone here has been in a war front where a person is called on their lack team work and the person comes back with "well that is funny coming from someone without my DPS score you herpaderp" or something to that effect completely missing that their response goes directly to the heart of what the other is saying.

Both of these specialized specs are easily overcome if people actually designed their spec to fill a needed role for their team to counter them, but what seems to happen the most is players coming to the objective based WF with their best DPS dueling spec.

So again please don't nerf these two types, they fill vital roles in making the war-fronts strategic exercises of teamwork not button mashing DPS races between two parties.

The runner nerf qq is so two weeks ago, we're on to twinks and mercs now.
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Robes View Post
    The runner nerf qq is so two weeks ago, we're on to twinks and mercs now.
    Heheh I wish, just today the WF was filled with QQ about how doing defense is pointless because rogue carriers were so OP. I wish it was over I really do, but alas likely the nerf will happen and then the QQ will be with tanks and then you will run into a problem of making tanks less tanky which nerfing that would have a significant impact on PVE and not just PVP alone, far more than the proposed rogue nerf would. I still say I wish they would do away with that stat board so people would stop looking at it as if it had any real significance beyond stroking ones self to that or their parser logs. What it really boils down to at least in my eyes is that in many peoples minds the only viable class in PVP should be DPS classes and everyone else should just be there as fodder.

Take away the blue powerup in your home base to help nerf the rogue runner. Too many people ignore that blue ball which is the rogue's free get-out-of-jail card.

+ Reply to Thread