+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: PvP Arenas

Soulwalker

Default PvP Arenas

I know there are several great, beautiful and dynamic warfronts out there. I know team PvP is great and fun. But after moving from WoW to Rift, I felt as if Rift PvP was missing one of my favorite things. Ranked arenas. I know Rift prides itself on being different, better some say, than WoW. But I feel as if many other people agree that PvP just isn't PvP if you can't get into a ranked battle with another team. The warfronts are a little tedious in my experience, where the number of healers and warriors decides the victor. But in a ranked 2v2 or 3v3 arena, it would matter less which class you play and how hard you farmed for your pvp gear and your skill level and ability with your class would be brought out. Maybe Rift has no intention of having an arena system introduced to the game, but I feel as if there is a whole group who would join if they added that. What attracts competitive gamers more than a beautiful world, wonderfully balanced and made classes and some ranked arenas to bring out the gladiator in them?

Oaf

Banned in 3...2...
    Honorary member of The Fallen Sons and Terrible Idea.

Arena .

He said it not me.
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Luke 23:34
    New International Version (NIV)
    Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”[a]
    ~Quiescent

Plane Touched

Arena will never happen....too many people would resub.
    ~*Yayoh *~ - Derpwood.

There is no competative PvP in MMOs. It's not an ESport, nor will it ever be. There are no competitions held by ESCW or any other large scale prize based tournaments. Once this concept is grasped, then everyone can start enjoying the purpose of PvP, a distraction to PvE.

tl;dr: If you want to game competativly, go play counter-strike or starcraft 2.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

Plane Touched

spoken like a true pve carebear.

Us maxed out p40's have ran BG whitefall port scion etc 10000000000X

Whether you personally feel that its an e-sport by definition has nothing to do with if/why arena should be implemented.

As long as a game has player vs player there will be a winner and a loser. The winners want a way of pointing out the losers in the nature of competition. we don't care if we get paid to do it....
    ~*Yayoh *~ - Derpwood.

Quote Originally Posted by yayoh View Post
    spoken like a true pve carebear.

Us maxed out p40's have ran BG whitefall port scion etc 10000000000X

Whether you personally feel that its an e-sport by definition has nothing to do with if/why arena should be implemented.

As long as a game has player vs player there will be a winner and a loser. The winners want a way of pointing out the losers in the nature of competition. we don't care if we get paid to do it....
    Don't worry son, I'm a maxed out p40 too. I've experienced true competition in a balanced game via the CPL. MMO's will never attain said balance, hence why there is no real competition. This is a universal truth, no matter how much you want to deny it. With that being said, Arena's will do nothing to improve the PvP gameplay in this game.
    Last edited by Eclipze; 03-07-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Pointanlaugh View Post
    But in a ranked 2v2 or 3v3 arena, it would matter less which class you play and how hard you farmed for your pvp gear and your skill level and ability with your class would be brought out.
    How? In 15 vs 15 or 20 vs 20, more soul/specs are viable, in very small groups you get cookie cutter combos that are simply best and numerous soul/specs / combos of classes that are simply second best or not viable.

Also skill, explain to me how being a healer in 2v2 or 3v3 requires more skill, in a large group I have more decisions to make, more people to keep track of, need to react faster, it is much harder to keep track of opposition players trying to take me out from all angles, I have more debuffs stuck on me, more people focusing me and individuals on my team, in all 2 v2, 3v3 are easier and require less skill, less multitasking than a larger group.

Arena requires different balance to larger group PvP and finer balance, this results in a whole new level of QQing when people don't get that balance, especially as their fragile egos are on the line.

Nor is it the only way to have "competitve" PvP, leaderboards / stats can be applied to larger group PvP like WF, guild vs guild seige wars (though it helps to have a game with guild castles) or shard vs shard stuff, none of which requires a different balance from normal PvP, which in a game not renowned for good balance is a positive.
    Last edited by Flimble; 03-07-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Arena isnt competetive PvP...its a bunch of nonsense, flavor of the month hopping classes each season.

Good Lord arena would spell disaster for Rift with how far Trion overbuffs and overnerfs classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pesmergia View Post
    Arena isnt competetive PvP...its a bunch of nonsense, flavor of the month hopping classes each season.

Good Lord arena would spell disaster for Rift with how far Trion overbuffs and overnerfs classes.
    You know you want it.

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Another arena thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Another arena thread.
    We can always use more arena threads.

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Prophet of Telara

This hasn't been locked yet? Time to make more threads about the A word.

You could always just group with 5 people and try run to run wfs.. chances are you might get put against another 5 man it has happened to me more then once.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast