+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bolstering and Ranked matches

Rift Chaser

Default Bolstering and Ranked matches

My suggestion: Get rid of unranked games entirely. Keep the brackets, and bolster all players to the minimum of whatever bracket they end up in. This will keep ques quick, higher ranked players will still have a huge advantage (bolstering to 25 isn't quite the same as being rank 25), and lower ranked players won't be chaff for farming.

So, a little background to justify my position. I just rolled an Alt, got him to 50, and dove into the alternating delight/cesspool that is end game pvp.

Ranked matches are fun and educational; even when I was P4, while I was still earning my my T1 pvp gear, I could be effective. It was easy to figure out what specs and abilities were working, and how to counter other lvl 50 specs. Unranked matches, on the other hand, were disheartening to the point of madness even with bolstering. 2 P40's could wade through 80% of our team before being forced to pull back (killing them was usually out of the question). This is even true now that I'm p16 (though P40's aren't quite as powerful, they're still leagues above me in terms of gear/xp)

Tl;Dr: Ranked matches are fun and exciting, unranked matches are a complete joke and actively make me hate the game.

Now I understand why unranked matched exist. You can't always find the right combinations of Prestige Ranked players, and it would be unfair to force higher rank players to wait longer because their Rank of opponents were not available. The solution I offered at the beginning of this post would alleviate the frustration of being a p14 against a p40, would allow high ranked players to keep a large advantage, and wouldn't affect que times.

Rift Disciple

What if p40 players can choose of queing a hard mode where only players p40 can join?
    at least the not scrubs will be not playing unranked matches

Wow, I have never played an MMO that has this many whiney kids before, I hope you're not taking time away from your grind to rank 40 by writing this thread!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Wow, I have never played an MMO that has this many whiney kids before, I hope you're not taking time away from your grind to rank 40 by writing this thread!!
    Did you have a point? Or were you just looking to troll?

Quote Originally Posted by cygnarite View Post
    Did you have a point? Or were you just looking to troll?
    Would you like it better if I was a rift game master and mailed you the entire P40 set of gear and auto leveled you to rank 40?

I mean, this is an MMO, and it requires time spent to advance your character, take that away and you have nothing but a glorified FPS game. I don't think this game is for you, just wait for guild wars 2 my man.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Would you like it better if I was a rift game master and mailed you the entire P40 set of gear and auto leveled you to rank 40?

I mean, this is an MMO, and it requires time spent to advance your character, take that away and you have nothing but a glorified FPS game. I don't think this game is for you, just wait for guild wars 2 my man.
    Asking to be bolstered to p25 vs p40's != asking to have my P40 mailed to me.

Your idea of fun is apparently slogging ineffectively for 20 ranks, then slightly less ineffectively for anoher 10, waiting for the day when you've got the gear to be slightly effective, getting to the top, then stomping all the little lowbies until they get to your level. Sounds like you want to Rush a frat my friend. I'd prefer if tremendous gear disparities didnt make my presence utterly pointless until I've gotten to rank 30.

On the flip side, from my p40 main, demolishing lowbies in WF's is extremely boring. It didn't take me any skill to have better stats.

Tl;Dr: Ranked matches are fun and exciting, unranked matches are a complete joke and actively make me hate the game.
    That's a very long standing observation. It was even worse before there were no ranked matches at all. I agree with you 100%, but I also agree with what Gunzip said in a somewhat (to me) irritating way. My own patience and hope for warfronts has ended. A year has been long enough to fix things, IMO. Maybe people with Gunzip's preferences are the only ones who should be in warfronts. The game does have a lot of other activities to be entertained with and which seem to work nicely. I don't expect the enjoyment factor to get much better in warfronts if at all. I've completely given up on that hope.

Asking to be bolstered to p25 vs p40's != asking to have my P40 mailed to me.

Your idea of fun is apparently slogging ineffectively for 20 ranks, then slightly less ineffectively for anoher 10, waiting for the day when you've got the gear to be slightly effective, getting to the top, then stomping all the little lowbies until they get to your level. Sounds like you want to Rush a frat my friend. I'd prefer if tremendous gear disparities didnt make my presence utterly pointless until I've gotten to rank 30.

On the flip side, from my p40 main, demolishing lowbies in WF's is extremely boring. It didn't take me any skill to have better stats.

You want to turn rift into guild wars, why not go play guild wars?

Champion

Get rid of unranked games entirely.
    You should have stopped here.

You almost had a point and then your post became drivel.

Your post should have been titled, "Give me free R40 stats and gear until I hit R40 and have enough Favor to get the gear" ... because that's really what you want.

Bolstering is a stupid mechanic, period. You're giving players something for free that others have worked hard for.

You might as well impliment another mechanic called Encumbrance that takes stats away from an R40 to play more evenly againt Ranked R1 - R20 Warfronts. Bolstering is just as rediculous.
    Last edited by Bhrawn; 03-07-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhrawn View Post

Your post should have been titled, "Give me free R40 stats and gear until I hit R40 and have enough Favor to get the gear" ... because that's really what you want.

Bolstering is a stupid mechanic, period. You're giving players something for free.

You might as well impliment another mechanic called Encumbrance that takes stats away from an R40 to play more evenly againt Ranked R1 - R20 Warfronts. Bolstering is just as rediculous.

Best response so far.

Champion

Bolstering is a stupid mechanic, period. You're giving players something for free that others have worked hard for.
    And while we're on the subject, give all my fresh level 50's full GSB stats and gear so I can raid HK.

(Yes, that was sarcasm! ... but the very same analogy you're trying to make, and failed.)
    Last edited by Bhrawn; 03-07-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Rift Chaser

My suggestion: Get rid of unranked games entirely. Keep the brackets, and bolster all players to the minimum of whatever bracket they end up in. This will keep ques quick, higher ranked players will still have a huge advantage (bolstering to 25 isn't quite the same as being rank 25), and lower ranked players won't be chaff for farming.

So, a little background to justify my position. I just rolled an Alt, got him to 50, and dove into the alternating delight/cesspool that is end game pvp.

Ranked matches are fun and educational; even when I was P4, while I was still earning my my T1 pvp gear, I could be effective. It was easy to figure out what specs and abilities were working, and how to counter other lvl 50 specs. Unranked matches, on the other hand, were disheartening to the point of madness even with bolstering. 2 P40's could wade through 80% of our team before being forced to pull back (killing them was usually out of the question). This is even true now that I'm p16 (though P40's aren't quite as powerful, they're still leagues above me in terms of gear/xp)

Now I understand why unranked matched exist. You can't always find the right combinations of Prestige Ranked players, and it would be unfair to force higher rank players to wait longer because their Rank of opponents were not available. The solution I offered at the beginning of this post would alleviate the frustration of being a p14 against a p40, would allow high ranked players to keep a large advantage, and wouldn't affect que times.
    If everyone were bolstered to be the same level, what would be the point of gear or ranks at all?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Anmila View Post
    If everyone were bolstered to be the same level, what would be the point of gear or ranks at all?
    I was not aware that 1 = 20, 10 = 25, and 25 = 40

Rift Chaser

You seem really defensive about this. How fun can beating someone 30 prestige ranks below you be?

You seem really defensive about this. How fun can beating someone 30 prestige ranks below you be?
    Because we don't have a choice who our opponents end up being, and it's not our fault someone just bought the game yesterday and started playing. Heck, let's make gear in this game meaningless for pvp and pve, no requirements for infernal dawn coming out, go in there naked and down bosses just on skill alone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast