+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Mercenaries

Soulwalker

Default Mercenaries

So I understand the concept and the reasoning behind it. Doesn't mean I have to like it. I also refuse to take up arms against my guardian bothers.

So here is the ethical question, If I get put on the defiant side am I obligated to fight?

I know some will say, Yes, you know when joining warfronts you may get put on the defiant side therefore you are obligated to fight and if I don't like it then don't join warfronts.

I say, I'm not obligated to fight, but am honor bound to the guardians and not to take up arms against them, thus given my brothers a tactical advantage in the warfront.

What say you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Axtor View Post
    So here is the ethical question, If I get put on the defiant side am I obligated to fight?
    of course not

it's def a disadvantage to the defiant team when i get merced cus i just run around looting and healing myself
    some players on my faction don't touch me, others are jerks

the mods will want you to post in one of these main threads on this topic though:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...e-faction.html
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...d-removed.html

they've been locking all the new ones & drowning our voices

(My reply to all these threads)
    Mercenaries.

I should not have to be able to play the opposing team if I do not want to. Especially on a Roleplaying server.

I suggest that you make a button in the PVP Stat window that you can disable labled Mercenary. When you click it off you will no longer be a mercenary. Have it on by default so new players and people who dont care don't have to worry about it or the change. Then only the few select people who dont want it can turn it off and not wreck your game by running around doing nothing because they dont want to be a mercenary.

Also, as an incentive to be a mercenary if your team wins when you are playing as a mercenary you should get 50% exp bonus and a 25% favor bonus of your total score. For payment as playing on the opposite team and actually playing the role of a mercenary instead of a traitor. This would also be an incentive for those not wanted to be on the opposite team to try and win.

I dont see why everyone is so against making it optional. It is not like everyone will click it off. I doubt you would see much que time change. And if all of you that dont want it and are fine with mercs just shows you that only a few would turn it off not making a noticable difference anyways. Just my thoughts.
    PVP Balance suggestion. Balance Items/Stats, Skills and Matchmaking.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...p-balance.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shadokin View Post
    (My reply to all these threads)
    Mercenaries.

*snip
    I dont see why everyone is so against making it optional. It is not like everyone will click it off. I doubt you would see much que time change. And if all of you that dont want it and are fine with mercs just shows you that only a few would turn it off not making a noticable difference anyways. Just my thoughts.
    The problem is a lot would. And the queue syncing pre-mades, that the merc system has helped get rid of, would be back on the agenda.
    So instead of a dozen or more threads on the evils of mercs, we'd be back to pre-mades posts.

To the OP. Are you obligated to fight? No. But if you don't, I do hope you get voted afk and enjoy your 10 break.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    The problem is a lot would. And the queue syncing pre-mades, that the merc system has helped get rid of, would be back on the agenda.
    So instead of a dozen or more threads on the evils of mercs, we'd be back to pre-mades posts.

To the OP. Are you obligated to fight? No. But if you don't, I do hope you get voted afk and enjoy your 10 break.

Thats not true. Because the majority of people would still play as mercs. If you notice there are a ton of people who say they dont mind playing as mercs. Just a select few would choose to opt out. So both parties would be happy. Its not like everyone will no longer be a merc. Have it on by default so new players and players who dont care about being merc would not have to mess with it. So why not let the select few who do not want to be a merc (and the few who dont participate as a merc and screw up your game) not be a merc. It would not make a que difference with the little amount of people who would opt out.
    Last edited by Shadokin; 03-05-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    PVP Balance suggestion. Balance Items/Stats, Skills and Matchmaking.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...p-balance.html

Premades were a problem once, and would be a problem again if you removed the Mercenaries that force them to break up. Or the addition of a Premade-Only Queue (all groups larger than 2 will always go into this Queue and stay there).

Are you obliged to fight? No.
    But neither do I believe it's a Roleplay problem. Just... roleplay as a Guardian who joined the Defiant. That's what I do. It's not like I'm causing the Guardian Faction any lasting harm, either: they're Ascended. They'll be alright.

The point of a Warfront is, at the end of the day, to fight for your team's victory. If I get stuck on the Red Team every few games, so be it. I'll fight and heal like hell for the Red Team, because that makes a fun Warfront. I don't really believe in spite or pride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadokin View Post
    Thats not true. Because the majority of people would still play as mercs. If you notice there are a ton of people who say they dont mind playing as mercs. Just a select few would choose to opt out. So both parties would be happy. Its not like everyone will no longer be a merc. Have it on by default so new players and players who dont care about being merc would not have to mess with it. So why not let the select few who do not want to be a merc (and the few who dont participate as a merc and screw up your game) not be a merc. It would not make a que difference with the little amount of people who would opt out.
    "Hey guys, lets get a group for some pvp going"

"Alright be sure your opt-out is checked, 3.. 2.. 1.. queue".

"Haha these pugs are so bad"
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

In a perfect world where GMs labor was worthless and abundant I would want mercenaries who don't try to be reported and not be allowed to take part in PvP again for the rest of the day.

But that'll never happen for obvious reasons. So instead I'll just keep feeding the Defiant side information on Skype about who's healing, who's doing what, and etc, and fighting hard so you never know.

Add an incentive for winning as mercenary? I'll fight with everything I can to win for the Guardians.
    Last edited by TheKomissar; 03-05-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robes View Post
    "Hey guys, lets get a group for some pvp going"

"Alright be sure your opt-out is checked, 3.. 2.. 1.. queue".

"Haha these pugs are so bad"
    And again, this would be solved by not having a permanent "I don't wanna merc" toggle, but by letting people opt out after the invites go out. This way, sync queuers will still have the same chance of being chosen as a merc as they do now.

I don't mind any more. When I end up a merc I simply switch to my Sab/RS build because it sucks and supposedly anything /RS is OP. Then I run around looting and making fun of the Defiant if they're losing. If I'm going to merc I'm going to have fun doing it.
    Even free cost too much now

If its red its dead. Why are you PvPing if that's not the case?

Nvm, waste of time to try and argue this.
    Last edited by Robes; 03-05-2012 at 10:49 PM.
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    If its red its dead. Why are you PvPing if that's not the case?
    And why are you PvP'ing in an RPG based game if lore means nothing and the only thing you're concerned about is "If it's red, it's dead"?

Seriously though, it's all a matter of preference. Some people agree with you. Others want a little more depth and context when it comes to PvP. Neither side is right or wrong because, as I said, it all comes down to preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    And why are you PvP'ing in an RPG based game if lore means nothing and the only thing you're concerned about is "If it's red, it's dead"?

Seriously though, it's all a matter of preference. Some people agree with you. Others want a little more depth and context when it comes to PvP. Neither side is right or wrong because, as I said, it all comes down to preference.
    I've never really considered Warfronts to be terribly important to Roleplay, anyway.
    - No character development
    - Minimal story supporting objectives
    - Didn't we win this 5 minutes ago, why are we here again...

My Roleplay is abandoned when I queue up for WFs. Everything is simpler that way.
    (If I must Roleplay, I am some different Guardian who lost his faith. Or I am my same character, temporarily siding with the Defiant in an attempt to convert them to the Vigil.)
    Last edited by Morvick; 03-05-2012 at 11:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    I've never really considered Warfronts to be terribly important to Roleplay, anyway.
    - No character development
    - Minimal story supporting objectives
    - Didn't we win this 5 minutes ago, why are we here again...

My Roleplay is abandoned when I queue up for WFs. Everything is simpler that way.
    (If I must Roleplay, I am some different Guardian who lost his faith. Or I am my same character, temporarily siding with the Defiant in an attempt to convert them to the Vigil.)
    and that is just fine, we are not advising how to play or what to feel as you play.

But for some of us, the fun is playing for the side we've picked from the beginning and feel a loyality to. It is how we feel which we don't have to justify. RPG means Role Playing Game to us.. and we like it like that.

All we are asking for is an option that will allow those who like to merc to merc and for those of us who don't to opt out.

I don't understand why this should bring out the trolls and their name calling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast