+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Report AFK "feature"

Plane Touched

Default Report AFK "feature"

The report AFK "feature" is broken.

I was in library this weekend running the hall trying to get to a rune to pick it up when all of a sudden I get kicked out of the instance with a 1 hour ascended exile debuff. As I look throught the log to figure out what happened, I was apparantly leader of the raid and didn't realize it. As I wasn't paying attention to the chat window, I didn't see the people asking me to pass out assist. I then saw them discussing "he doesn't even know he's lead, he's not paying attention. Lets all report him afk, if everyone does it he will get kicked."

What the fudge Trion? So I was a little distracted and wasn't reading the chat messages and didn't realize I was lead. IS that a valid reason for me to be banned from warfronts for an hour on a bonus weekend?

This system is too open to abuse. Insta kicking a player at the request of the masses is bad enough, stopping them from future play goes too far.

hey i got one of those for gettin a lil distracted: http://snag.gy/WmBFO.jpg

dunno what the prob was i guess defiants don't like elves (or they thought i was going to heal them or something)

i didn't care though & went to play wow, been playin that a lot lately

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Groslyunderpaid View Post
    The report AFK "feature" is broken.

I was in library this weekend running the hall trying to get to a rune to pick it up when all of a sudden I get kicked out of the instance with a 1 hour ascended exile debuff. As I look throught the log to figure out what happened, I was apparantly leader of the raid and didn't realize it. As I wasn't paying attention to the chat window, I didn't see the people asking me to pass out assist. I then saw them discussing "he doesn't even know he's lead, he's not paying attention. Lets all report him afk, if everyone does it he will get kicked."

What the fudge Trion? So I was a little distracted and wasn't reading the chat messages and didn't realize I was lead. IS that a valid reason for me to be banned from warfronts for an hour on a bonus weekend?

This system is too open to abuse. Insta kicking a player at the request of the masses is bad enough, stopping them from future play goes too far.
    The feature only works if you don't take a PvP action within a certain amount of time. You receive a warning in your chat log that you need to do something or you'll be kicked.

A couple of things...you don't need to roam the halls to find runes. Your minimap shows you if there are runes active that nobody has picked up yet.

Also, it's not hard to tell if you're leader in warfronts. If you're leader, your character will be in the top left corner of the raid frames. It's something you should be checking for every warfront you enter.

Lastly, ignoring your chat log for that long is counterproductive. Communication is central to coordination, and coordination is what wins warfronts. If you're ignoring your chat log long enough to get booted for being AFK without knowing it until you're out of the warfront staring aghast at the debuff, you're not looking at your chat log often enough. All it takes is a glance from time to time to see if there's anything new that warrants your attention.

I had a similar situation in LR yesterday only it wasn't me who was lead and not paying attention to their chat log. Some people on our team were eager to have a particular mage marked as a priority target and the leader wasn't marking, wasn't promoting, and wasn't passing lead. We're not talking about 10 seconds from the first request to mark or pass lead went straight to a vote kick...we're talking about half the duration of the match.

Take it as a learning experience. Check when you first enter a match if you're leader or not. If you are and you don't want to be, pass lead or start promoting people as they enter. Remember to check your chat log more often, not just to prevent AFK kicks but to be a more effective contributor in warfronts. Problem solved.

Isn't there some sort of rule so you can report players for unfair kicks?.

I mean if an unfair kick results in you no having access to a part of the game you want to play (in this case warfronts), then surely you should be: A - able to get a GM to remove the 1 hr debuff and: B - get the people who did the kick debuffed instead.
    Level 50 Mage - Naritta@Icewatch.
    Level 50 Rogue - Naritta@Bloodiron.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMelchett View Post

I mean if an unfair kick results in you no having access to a part of the game you want to play (in this case warfronts), then surely you should be: A - able to get a GM to remove the 1 hr debuff and: B - get the people who did the kick debuffed instead.
    yeah the op prolly should have contacted a gm over the lead thing, that was dumb

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMelchett View Post

There's nothing unfair about an AFK kick. Enough people in the warfront have to want you out for the vote to pass, and then you're given a warning and a reasonable amount of time to take action to cancel the kick. People just have to pay attention and they won't get kicked. To be completely honest with you, ignoring your chat log so long that people get fed up with you not responding and then totally missing the warning that you're about to be kicked is not an acceptable level of play in warfronts. If you want solo PvP, PvP in the open world. In warfronts you're on a team, and that means you need to pay attention to certain lines of communication. The chatlog is the main one.

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    People just have to pay attention and they won't get kicked.
    people paying attention in wfs, lmao, if that were the case half of the team members would get kicked in each wf- let's give em all hour long debuffs for bein stupid (would any players be left?)

Seems like the kick worked though. Next time you'll pay attention.

There's nothing unfair about an AFK kick. Enough people in the warfront have to want you out for the vote to pass, and then you're given a warning and a reasonable amount of time to take action to cancel the kick. People just have to pay attention and they won't get kicked. To be completely honest with you, ignoring your chat log so long that people get fed up with you not responding and then totally missing the warning that you're about to be kicked is not an acceptable level of play in warfronts. If you want solo PvP, PvP in the open world. In warfronts you're on a team, and that means you need to pay attention to certain lines of communication. The chatlog is the main one.
    I never said anything about it being unfair to be kicked for being AFK, i said "isn't there some sort of rule to report unfair kicks", that's a very big difference.

Plus it's not up to you or me to decide if simply not reading the chat log can count as a fair reason to make it so someone can't enter a warfront for 1hr (personally i don't think it's fair at all - maybe a kick yes BUT a 1hr ban aswell - nope), which is why i was wondering if such a rule existed because that way someone in charge could decide if the 1hr block is fair or not.

Plane Touched

The feature only works if you don't take a PvP action within a certain amount of time. You receive a warning in your chat log that you need to do something or you'll be kicked.

A couple of things...you don't need to roam the halls to find runes. Your minimap shows you if there are runes active that nobody has picked up yet.

Also, it's not hard to tell if you're leader in warfronts. If you're leader, your character will be in the top left corner of the raid frames. It's something you should be checking for every warfront you enter.

Lastly, ignoring your chat log for that long is counterproductive. Communication is central to coordination, and coordination is what wins warfronts. If you're ignoring your chat log long enough to get booted for being AFK without knowing it until you're out of the warfront staring aghast at the debuff, you're not looking at your chat log often enough. All it takes is a glance from time to time to see if there's anything new that warrants your attention.

I had a similar situation in LR yesterday only it wasn't me who was lead and not paying attention to their chat log. Some people on our team were eager to have a particular mage marked as a priority target and the leader wasn't marking, wasn't promoting, and wasn't passing lead. We're not talking about 10 seconds from the first request to mark or pass lead went straight to a vote kick...we're talking about half the duration of the match.

Take it as a learning experience. Check when you first enter a match if you're leader or not. If you are and you don't want to be, pass lead or start promoting people as they enter. Remember to check your chat log more often, not just to prevent AFK kicks but to be a more effective contributor in warfronts. Problem solved.
    Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

If enough people report you there is no warning in your chat window. It is instant. I wouldn't have seen the warning anyway as I wasn't reading the chat window, but after reviewing, there was no warning. Just byebye.

2nd, I was running toward a spot where I knew the rune would be coming up as I knew the person who had it was low on life and about to die. I have all the achievements for library, and fully understand how the map works. Thank you for attempting to instruct me on the inner workings of how to read a minimap though.

3rd being in the top left corner does not mean you are leader. For example, I could have passed leader to someone else. I would have still been top left, but not leader. In this particular fight I was concerned about the fight, not the raid frames. Counterproductive or not, I'm pretty sure the button says "Report AFK", not "Report Counterproductive". And yes I normally check and pass lead, I just happened not to be looking at it this time. Not really relevant to my post anyway. I was reported AFK while not AFK, while actively involved in the game, and was kicked immediately.

4th in reponse to a different poster, I did immediately open a ticket with a gm, to which they responded back 4 hours later. Not really a lot of help.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sykk View Post
    people paying attention in wfs, lmao, if that were the case half of the team members would get kicked in each wf- let's give em all hour long debuffs for bein stupid (would any players be left?)
    The only reason most of them get away with it is because nobody is communicating directly with them and expecting a response. You're right...if you were to implement a feature that allowed you to determine who on your team was paying full attention, your warfront teams would probably shrink considerably halfway through any given match. Not saying I'm asking for such a feature or that we'd get one if we did ask for it, but you're right. A LOT of losses happen because too many people on the losing team weren't paying attention.

And this thread came about when one of those people got caught red handed ignoring their chat log (intentionally or unintentionally) so while I acknowledge that it must have been very frustrating, it's also a wake-up call for them to get their head in the game and pay attention to what needs attention.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    Seems like the kick worked though. Next time you'll pay attention.
    Hey that would be funny if it was relevant!

But no, it will do nothing next time. I've been playing the game for 9 months and this is the first time it's ever happened to me, because I'm normally paying more attention. This won't cause me to pay more attention, I will pay the same attention I always do. None of that is even the point.

The point is, get 5 or 7 or however many people pissed at you, maybe a guild that doesn't like you, and they can just kick you out of the wf at will. It sets up a system of abuse too easy to exploit.

No matter what I was doing, as long as I was actually participating in the game, I shouldn't be able to be reported afk and summarily banned for an hour.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.
    If enough people report you there is no warning in your chat window. It is instant. I wouldn't have seen the warning anyway as I wasn't reading the chat window, but after reviewing, there was no warning. Just byebye.
    you get a little white debuff by the rest of your buffs you have to mouse over & read
    think it has a timer on it

my in-game hubby got reported too but he got to stay cus he fought
    i simply refused to attack my faction & took it

Ascendant

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

Then enough people obviously felt that you weren't paying close enough attention and they didn't want you there. The tribe has spoken...

2nd, I was running toward a spot where I knew the rune would be coming up as I knew the person who had it was low on life and about to die. I have all the achievements for library, and fully understand how the map works. Thank you for attempting to instruct me on the inner workings of how to read a minimap though.
    It doesn't take much to look at your chat log. It really doesn't. If you're engaged in combat, you won't get kicked for being AFK. If you're not engaged in combat, you've got time to look at your chat log.

3rd being in the top left corner does not mean you are leader. For example, I could have passed leader to someone else. I would have still been top left, but not leader. In this particular fight I was concerned about the fight, not the raid frames. Counterproductive or not, I'm pretty sure the button says "Report AFK", not "Report Counterproductive". And yes I normally check and pass lead, I just happened not to be looking at it this time. Not really relevant to my post anyway. I was reported AFK while not AFK, while actively involved in the game, and was kicked immediately.
    When you first enter a new match, yes, being in the top left corner does mean you are leader. It's something you should be checking at the start of every match.

Then enough people obviously felt that you weren't paying close enough attention and they didn't want you there. The tribe has spoken...

It doesn't take much to look at your chat log. It really doesn't. If you're engaged in combat, you won't get kicked for being AFK. If you're not engaged in combat, you've got time to look at your chat log.

When you first enter a new match, yes, being in the top left corner does mean you are leader. It's something you should be checking at the start of every match.
    Still doesn't take away the fact he wasn't AFK. As stated the report reads "Report: AFK" which means Away from keyboard = doing nothing at all, it does not read "Report: not reading chatlog - but is actully playing" or "Report: is leader but hasn't noticed", if it read those i'd agree with you BUT it doesn't.
    Last edited by MajorMelchett; 03-05-2012 at 12:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast