+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Persistant PVP and third faction - Update video.

Default Persistant PVP and third faction - Update video.

Hello all,

I just saw this video this morning from the producers of RIFT and it made me quite happy. They went over the last year of of rift and stated what they are trying to do for this year. A brief description of changes for PVP were made in this video.

• Persistant zone for PVP (No instance, always up)
    • A third faction (Anyone who played DAoC knows how much this makes a difference)
    • PVP will add long term effects to the regular game world.
    So discuss your ideas and opinions on this. Skip through the video to 3:43 to see the announcment for PVP. I for one am all for DAoC style PVP zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuDzP45Uo64&hd=1
    PVP Balance suggestion. Balance Items/Stats, Skills and Matchmaking.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...p-balance.html

I missed anyone saying anything about a third faction. Said going beyond two faction...I guess maybe? Or maybe just referring to Merc.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 03-05-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    No one said anything about a third faction. Just a city.
    3:45-3:49. "I'm really excited for the PVP changes. We are trying to go beyond the two faction system"

If was the first thing said. And a Mercenary is not a faction. But also they said trying. So we will see. Hopefully they will fill us in with more information soon with out being so vague.
    Last edited by Shadokin; 03-05-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Ascendant

PvP changes for 1.8:

Make warriors OP so that people can reroll toons and have "new" content.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadokin View Post
    3:45-3:49. "I'm really excited for the PVP changes. We are trying to go beyond the two faction system"

If was the first thing said. And a Mercenary is not a faction. But also they said trying. So we will see. Hopefully they will fill us in with more information soon with out being so vague.
    "Going beyond the 2 faction system" could mean one of two things.

1) Adding a third faction
    2) Homogenizing the factions (i.e. removing faction boundaries)

I seriously doubt they will be adding a third faction. That would take a tremendous amount of development to accomplish.

I think they're going to continue homogenizing the factions, like they've started to do with the merc system. They've also stated that they're working on a system that will allow a form of mercing to occur in WPvP, which further leads me to believe that faction homogenization is the route they are going to take.

I don't really see them adding a new faction, saying "going beyond the two faction" could mean a lot of things. There is no reason to add another faction at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by kaspurtz View Post
    PvP changes for 1.8:

Make warriors OP so that people can reroll toons and have "new" content.
    What do you mean make?
    Even free cost too much now

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    What do you mean make?
    He means warrior Ap changes will make warriors Op in PvP.

NPC faction is not the "third" kind of faction we are looking for.

No offense but their new pvp ideas sounds like Gw2 in Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajib View Post
    No offense but their new pvp ideas sounds like Gw2 in Rift.
    "Everyone plays at the same level in Guild Wars 2 PvP, where skill and strategy provide players with the winning edge. All players are set to max level and given all the skills and gear they need to meet their opponents on even terms."

Guild Wars 2 sounds like Guild Wars 1 but with out having to "buy" all the PVP skills and items to start off with. To me, this news update sounds more like a DAoC direction.

"In Mythicís Dark Age of Camelot, players engage in Realm vs Realm (PvP) or PvE combat as each of the three realms battle for supremacy. There are also special castles, or keeps, and controlling the majority of those keeps can bring benefits to the entire Realm. Certain keeps contain magical items called Relics. If a Relic is controlled by its home realm it will be stored in a Relic keep beyond a special Mile Gate. If member of an opposing realm can steal an enemy Relic, they can then install that Relic in one of their standard keeps. If a Realm controls both their own relics and an enemy Relic of the same type, all members of that realm will gain benefits from the Relic Magic. Warfare over the Relics and various castles in the frontier areas is a primary aspect of RvR."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadokin View Post
    "Everyone plays at the same level in Guild Wars 2 PvP, where skill and strategy provide players with the winning edge. All players are set to max level and given all the skills and gear they need to meet their opponents on even terms."

Guild Wars 2 sounds like Guild Wars 1 but with out having to "buy" all the PVP skills and items to start off with. To me, this news update sounds more like a DAoC direction.

"In Mythicís Dark Age of Camelot, players engage in Realm vs Realm (PvP) or PvE combat as each of the three realms battle for supremacy. There are also special castles, or keeps, and controlling the majority of those keeps can bring benefits to the entire Realm. Certain keeps contain magical items called Relics. If a Relic is controlled by its home realm it will be stored in a Relic keep beyond a special Mile Gate. If member of an opposing realm can steal an enemy Relic, they can then install that Relic in one of their standard keeps. If a Realm controls both their own relics and an enemy Relic of the same type, all members of that realm will gain benefits from the Relic Magic. Warfare over the Relics and various castles in the frontier areas is a primary aspect of RvR."
    Doesn't matter i did play Daoc too,but i think on this case Trion is preparing for GuildW2 inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajib View Post
    Doesn't matter i did play Daoc too,but i think on this case Trion is preparing for GuildW2 inc.
    I completly agree with you on them coming out with something new to keep interest of current subscribers from leaving to go to Guild Wars 2. I was just stating I did not think they were going into the Guild Wars 2 direction for PVP and more towards DAoC. Whatever they bring, they know it will have to be PVP oriented as that is the type of customers they will lose to Guild Wars 2.

Prophet of Telara

I could see them implementing a "no-factions" change over a 3rd faction. I'm apparently the only person from DAOC who remembers all the griping players did in that game about population (I think it's funny to hear people talk about how great it was now).

With no factions, you could let the players align themselves (or choose not to align at all), either with their guilds or at the character level.

Maybe something like still not being able to opt out of being drafted as a mercenary, but able to opt in if you have the itch. The latter being both for warfronts and world pvp. Maybe they'll also allow faction change. I like the idea of a non-instanced and always available to walk into world pvp area but that sounds like a can of worms without some sort of rank and gear balancing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast