+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Persistant PVP and third faction - Update video.

Rift Disciple

It will be guild versus guild, and the new persistent pvp zone will be shared across shards. In this way, the faction imbalance will be normalized by players themselves and by this design

Oaf

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    What do you mean make?
    Says the person who face tanks 2 R40 Warriors...
    Honorary member of The Fallen Sons and Terrible Idea.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Shadokin View Post
    "Everyone plays at the same level in Guild Wars 2 PvP, where skill and strategy provide players with the winning edge. All players are set to max level and given all the skills and gear they need to meet their opponents on even terms."
    That is only in the competitive 5 on 5 Warfront style matches. In WvWvW PvP you use your skills and gear acquired through normal play and is DAoC-style although it looks to be much better but that remains to be proven.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    In WvWvW PvP you use your skills and gear acquired through normal play and is DAoC-style although it looks to be much better but that remains to be proven.
    That actually sounds pretty good.

Rift Chaser

So basically Trion is rushing to copy what GW2 is doing before it launches, it hopes that it can retain some sembelance of a PvP player base.

Otherwise, assuming GW2 isn't a buggy piece of crap, and considering just straight features, is there ANY reason for a PvPer to stay with Rift vs. GW2?

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ironzerg View Post
    So basically Trion is rushing to copy what GW2 is doing before it launches, it hopes that it can retain some sembelance of a PvP player base.

Otherwise, assuming GW2 isn't a buggy piece of crap, and considering just straight features, is there ANY reason for a PvPer to stay with Rift vs. GW2?
    Rift's class system is very good, and the platform is stable. Rift PvP is actually pretty good, it just lacks content.

Does GW2 even offer anything besides the promise of some kind of PvP?
    Last edited by Qaedyan; 03-06-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Qaedyan View Post
    Rift's class system is very good, and the platform is stable. Rift PvP is actually pretty good, it just lacks content.

Does GW2 even offer anything besides the promise of some kind of PvP?
    As someone who exclusively PvPs, I could care less what their plans are for those who prefer to play the 21st century's version of a tea party with their dolls (PvE).

But consistent, and meaningful open-world PvP, in a WvWvW setting that rebalances the sides every two weeks, combined with a gear system that keeps a leveling playing field, focusing the game on having fun and NOT grinding for that next tier...yeah, sign me up.

/hopes they don't screw it up

Rift Disciple

Here's Hartsman's pre 1.7 comments...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartsman View Post
    [*]PvP: Its time for a leap forward

The PvP enhancements in 1.7 might as well be called PvP 2.0. The Prestige ranks are being re-leveled to provide a more fun progression for everyone. These updates to Prestige Ranks are aimed squarely at making the PvP experience a lot more fun for fresh-50s and lower ranked players. We definitely heard you and agree that was a great place to spend time improving.

Expect a progression path thats more fun and more frequently rewarding. Expect a system where you no longer have to swap out a primary soul just to be competitive in PvP. Characters getting their Break Free type abilities built-in.

The new Mercenary mechanic in Warfronts is included in 1.7 as well. As the number of people participating in PvP has been going up recently, certain wargroups and brackets have become too-Defiant or too-Guardian favored, causing the other side to suffer extended queuing. The mercenary mechanic aims squarely to fix that, by having people from the more populous side standing in as Mercenaries to ensure the queues are flowing as fast as they possibly can.

Were also taking the next step in world PvP action through more focused PvP rifts (where only one can exist in the world at a time) and introducing global side-based rewards for the most recent victors, among other enhancements.

We have some even bigger thoughts for the future of PvP that were really excited about for how PvP could eventually transcend the two existing factions and we look forward to sharing those as well.
    I've been reading "transcend the two existing factions" as "discard the two existing factions". I've been guessing thats part of why they're so quiet on mercenary issue -- because its just a precursor to discarding factions entirely.

Speculating a bit: Beyond the Ward: So my assumption guess is that the new city/zone is "beyond the ward" (i.e. not the planetouched wilds). Beyond the Ward would means outside Telara, and thus beyond the reach of the Vigil. Which would give some justification for breaking current faction boundaries.

Prophet of Telara

As someone who exclusively PvPs, I could care less what their plans are for those who prefer to play the 21st century's version of a tea party with their dolls (PvE).
    You should. Every player is going to want something to do when the PvP action has died down. A good game will have a decent economy that players can work on when they are not actively fighting, for example.

But consistent, and meaningful open-world PvP, in a WvWvW setting that rebalances the sides every two weeks, combined with a gear system that keeps a leveling playing field, focusing the game on having fun and NOT grinding for that next tier...yeah, sign me up.

/hopes they don't screw it up
    Screw all that fairness crap. I'd rather defeat my enemies than have the developer defeat them for me.

GW2 is a moba, not an rpg.

Yea come at me.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

If you like to PvP, how can you not be happy about this news? I for sure am looking forward to what they come up with.

And so what if they copied GW2? GW2 (WvW) is nearly a carbon copy of DAoC frontiers (relics and everything!), except WvW is *not* persistent open world PvP, it is a 2 week long instanced battleground instead of 40 minutes or whatever.
    Rift RvR and PvP resource

Seastone / Guardian Cleric / Defiant Mage

Rift Chaser

Qaedyan, you should read up on GW2 a bit.

Judging from your responses, I don't think you have the slightest clue what I'm talking about.

I would start here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HktHgzhDKAg

Very very excited by this video! Of course it's a response to Guild Wars 2, but this kind of reaction to a new game coming is FANTASTIC for players. It clearly shows Rift is prepared to try and equal or better it's rivals and provide any experience it's players want, most MMOs these days don't even really attempt to compete with the rest of the market on a level that Rift does, rather they try to find a niche and focus on that. I think it's an immense undertaking that Rift are trying to make and I really can't wait tbh.

I personally don't enjoy the "300+ hours of gameplay where you have to level, gear up, and max our faction rep and learn the nuances of your class before you can ever really be confident in your abilities" that a new game brings, that's a reason in itself to stick with Rift. However, I find there's very little to complain about in Rift, I have a few relatively minor issues with balancing but certainly nothing worth writing off the entire game.

I don't understand why MMO players are so damn jaded, go to GW2 if you think it'll be perfect, but just realise you'll always find something to criticize.
    "If the young are not initiated into the Village, they will burn it down just to feel it's warmth"

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Shadokin View Post
    3:45-3:49. "I'm really excited for the PVP changes. We are trying to go beyond the two faction system"

If was the first thing said. And a Mercenary is not a faction. But also they said trying. So we will see. Hopefully they will fill us in with more information soon with out being so vague.
    Just as a note:

"Going beyond the two faction system" does not translate to ", so we're adding a third faction!"

They could have meant any number of things by that, creating a third faction being just one of many possibilities.
    Maza the Mage <Damaged PvPness>
    Not playing a warrior anymore because it's boring.
    11/11 HK | 4/4 ROTP | 0/8 ID

Telaran

Funny, I thought this was in response to the 1 year anniversary marking the overall lack of progress in PvP content. Not that PvP is bad in RIFT, but it sure leaves something to be desired especially in the world department.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast