+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Scott Hartsman hints at the future for PvP

Ascendant

Default Scott Hartsman hints at the future for PvP

From ZAM's recent interview with the guy in the leather coat himself:

We have things that we’ll be launching short term and long term. One of the medium term goals that we’ve been working on internally for a number of months is even larger and more epic-scaled PvP options.
    Source.

Discuss.

Plane Touched

Reading the whole interview I was impressed he plays his own game quite a bit..

But yeah, awesome news and I have faith they have come up with some great ideas.

lgw

They've told this lie already pre-launch.
    Their way to cheat PVP customers has put the game on life support in regard to PVP, only kept from dying by "casual PVP, actual PVE players" and the fact that the current gen PVP focused MMOs have yet to launch (most likely: multiple this year).

Don't fall for their fairy tales again.

Rift Disciple

year anniversary video posted friday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuDzP45Uo64

at ~3:45 they talk about future PVP plans. Only about 15 seconds though, but they do say attempting to focus on moving beyond two faction PVP, and a persistent world where PVP haas long term ramifications for what you do in the open world. Gotta agree with lgw till we hear something more concrete than that though.

"Please don't leave, we're copying the big attraction of GW2 as fast as we can!"

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by -Swag- View Post
    "Please don't leave, we're copying the big attraction of GW2 as fast as we can!"
    which would be awesome? ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Davroth View Post
    year anniversary video posted friday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuDzP45Uo64

at ~3:45 they talk about future PVP plans. Only about 15 seconds though, but they do say attempting to focus on moving beyond two faction PVP, and a persistent world where PVP haas long term ramifications for what you do in the open world. Gotta agree with lgw till we hear something more concrete than that though.
    I'm curious to see how they pull this off.

They're moving away from the 2 faction system, yet PvP will have long term ramifications. What will these ramifications be? How will they (or will they) effect the factions? Will we be helping the "enemy" bork our own faction?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    I'm curious to see how they pull this off.

They're moving away from the 2 faction system, yet PvP will have long term ramifications. What will these ramifications be? How will they (or will they) effect the factions? Will we be helping the "enemy" bork our own faction?
    This is in line with what I was mentioning previously in other threads expressing concern over the diminishing importance of faction lines. Faction-based PvP in MMORPGs like Rift doesn't work because you decide your faction when you create your character and the system makes no effort to restrict access to faction based on current population. Moving away from a faction based system means you don't have population imbalances getting in the way of accessible gameplay. I'm sure we'll find out in due time just what they have in mind.

When i saw a video of what they are planning for 2012 i saw what might have been a hint. Large faction (one of defiant/guardian? what it looked like!) warriors figures on a map. Maybe they are playing to have invasion link to pvp? Where you have to kill players to get these guys to spawn and/or take over something?

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    This is in line with what I was mentioning previously in other threads expressing concern over the diminishing importance of faction lines. Faction-based PvP in MMORPGs like Rift doesn't work because you decide your faction when you create your character and the system makes no effort to restrict access to faction based on current population. Moving away from a faction based system means you don't have population imbalances getting in the way of accessible gameplay. I'm sure we'll find out in due time just what they have in mind.
    I understand all that.

My question is, what kind of ramifications are they talking about?

They are working to remove the importance of factions, but they say that PvP will have an impact on the game. PvP, in essence if not practice, is faction based and I can only imagine that the ramifications would be linked to which faction comes out on top in a fight.

Maybe I'm not creative enough, but I just don't see how this will work. I'm not complaining or anything, I'm just really curious as to what they plan to do and how they'll set it up.
    Last edited by Meina; 03-05-2012 at 12:29 PM.

He's good at those vague company lines. One of my long term goals with this short term post is to accomplish a medium term goal some time in the future... that is large.

ROFL

So....when they release the "New, Epic PVP content"...will it be a like a tree falling in the woods?

Will any PVPers be around to hear it?
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Ascendant

I knew when I posted this thread that it wouldn't take long for the cynics to fill it up with their negativity and that's fine. It's a public forum. Do your worst. Just don't say Trion is ignoring PvP, k?

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    I knew when I posted this thread that it wouldn't take long for the cynics to fill it up with their negativity and that's fine. It's a public forum. Do your worst. Just don't say Trion is ignoring PvP, k?
    From 1-24-2011
    Podcast 28: Chris Junior states there will be hotspots for players to earn points for their factions

I guess priorities can change. He never actually said when it would happen.

Scope creep sucks.

I am excited though, because I don't intend quit my sub anytime soon.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 03-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    It's not uncommon for features in development for a game that hasn't launched yet to not make it into the final product. In the show notes in that link you posted there's mention of raid queues. We saw how the community at large responded to party queues. Raid queues would have been worse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast