+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rated Warfronts

Default Rated Warfronts

Below is an outline of a suggestion I have for bringing depth to PvP in Rift with competitive, rated warfronts. This has been suggested before, but I'd like to play around with more detail on exactly how I think it could work. What I propose is something that I think would not be terribly daunting to implement, and would add a level of depth to PvP that would be fueled by competition between the players themselves; a meta-game.

Overview

Rated warfronts would be ranked matches between pre-formed raids, where winning and losing has a weighted change of each team member's PvP rating. Warfronts would be matched using an average or median of all the ratings of the team members. A player's rating would "unlock" access to high-tier PvP gear as it rises.

Rewards

Medals And Top-Tier PvP Gear: The highest tier PvP equipment would be earned not with favor, but with unique medals that are earned only by winning rated warfronts. Set-pieces of this gear would require increased PvP ratings. This gear would be a visually-distinct status symbol more than a sledgehammer of destruction. Top Tier would be best in slot, but only by a small margin. If a player managed to achieve a high enough rating and acquire enough Medals for this equipment, they could bypass the grind for favor gear, though this would require extraordinary skill.
    Favor: To encourage participation at all levels, not just the max-rank, Favor gain would be increased drastically during rated warfronts. Queueing as a team would always have the greatest return in favor, regardless of win or loss. However, the highest level of PvP gear can still only be obtained by winning rated matches.

The Rating System

Other games have tried to get far to complicated about their match-making and rating systems, always trying to re-invent the wheel. I propose using something that works, and has worked for years. Many competitive sports and game ladders use this system or very close variations of it. We'd use something similar to the Elo Rating System.

Briefly, I'd describe how a simple system might work for Rift.

-All players start with a base rating, say 1000.
    -The winner always gains as many points as the loser loses.
    -When a team defeats a higher rated team, they gain more than they would if the ratings were equal. Likewise, the losing team loses the same amount as the winner earned.
    -Team rating would be determined by the average rating of every individual on the team
    -Individual players' rating change would be scored against the enemy team's average rating.

Example scenario 1:
    Team Red's rating: 1000
    Team Blue's rating: 1000

Team Red wins

Team Red's resulting rating: 1015
    Team Blue's resulting rating: 985

Example scenario 2:
    Team Red's rating: 1500
    Team Blue's rating: 1400

Team Blue wins

Team Red's resulting rating: 1470
    Team Blue's resulting rating: 1430

Example scenario 3:
    Team Red's rating: 1800
    Team Blue's rating: 1600

Team Red wins

Team Red's resulting rating: 1805
    Team Blue's resulting rating: 1595

I didn't do any math on the above numbers. I Just wanted quickly summarize how it might work.

Queuing and Matchmaking

The system would match a team with another team based on the average rating of all team members. Ideally every match would put teams against other teams of equal rating.

Obviously the size of the pre-formed raid would have influence on what warfronts they're eligible to play. It would be possible to queue as raids of 10 or 15. To minimize queue times, teams won't be allowed to queue for specific warfronts. To encourage 15-player groups, medal rewards are increased for queuing as a raid of 15.

Summary

-Matched, team-based competitive pvp where winning and losing are meaningful.
    -Increased favor/prestige gain for participating in meaningful battles.
    -Fastest and only path to best-in-slot PvP equipment.
    Last edited by Azchire; 03-04-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Ascendant

this would be awesome, but we all know this could never happen.

Rift Chaser

I like it but I'm with Kas on this. Never happen with this game. I wish it would ... **** I'd be happy if they just let us queue as a raid. Not to roll pugs, to fight other raids of like minded individuals.
    Marduke

So you wanna play world of warcraft? You should give that game a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    No I want to play Rift, because Rift is a better game. Blizzard didn't invent rated competition. Hate to break it to ya.
    Last edited by Azchire; 03-04-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Rift Chaser

No, not really. But I would like to fight with my guild against other guilds. Yes, we have OWPVP but that is sporadic and not easily organized with same same numbers.
    Marduke

Ascendant

Rift Master

Funny how PvPers piss and moan that there is nothing to do, but when people try to incorporate popular ideas from other MMOs into Rift to give PvPers something to do, they still piss and moan.

If you've nothing constructive to say... then it's business as usual for you judging by your sig and post history?

games copy things from each other, it's not like trion should be afraid to improve their game with something like this cus it's "too much like wow"

wow just copied rift's wardrobe feature, talent point changes, etc -they're not scared to be similar

The only thing I would change would be the reward system.

As soon as you start offering better gear, even if it is only marginally better, people start to get the feeling that they must play whatever offers the better gear. In other words, people feel forced to participate, which brings in some animosity against the system to the equation.

I'm all for offering greater favor and prestige gains, and possibly cosmetic, title and non-combat effecting rewards, but offering 'better' gear tends to create it's own problems.

Other than that, it's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kaspurtz View Post
    When was that video made? What patch? That guy was on my nuts all warfront, but it was mostly 1vs3 really.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Funny how PvPers piss and moan that there is nothing to do, but when people try to incorporate popular ideas from other MMOs into Rift to give PvPers something to do, they still piss and moan.

If you've nothing constructive to say... then it's business as usual for you judging by your sig and post history?
    You're only gonna alienate the larger population with your ideas that exist in other games already, which TRION does not look kindly on, so maybe you should go play wow.

Rift Master

You're only gonna alienate the larger population with your ideas that exist in other games already, which TRION does not look kindly on, so maybe you should go play wow.
    So the only good ideas are new ideas? Damn, half of Rift was a bad idea then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    So the only good ideas are new ideas? Damn, half of Rift was a bad idea then.
    No one is forcing you to play a game you obviously don't like, why are you still here brah?

Rift Master

No one is forcing you to play a game you obviously don't like, why are you still here brah?
    I enjoy the game very much, and make a lot of posts on a lot of forums about the great things Trion do with Rift, some of them are even about PvP.

One thread stating I don't like one aspect of the game, and calling you out for whining and making pointless posts that I would expect from a child, doesn't mean I don't like the game, kid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast