+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Just wondering for the Devs

  1. #1
    ITZ
    ITZ is offline
    Soulwalker ITZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    17

    Default Just wondering for the Devs

    Any arena style coming to rift for pvp?

  2. #2
    Ascendant Gunzip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,070

    Default

    Have you ever heard of World of Warcraft? I hear it has some of the most skilled pvpers in the world, and it has an already well established arena system.
    Last edited by Gunzip; 03-04-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

    It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Robes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Have you ever heard of World of Warcraft? I hear it has some of the most skilled pvpers in the world, and it has an already well established arena system.
    How can it be your only toon since beta 3 if you have a cleric alt?
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

    Synna - Rogue - Vigil

    Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

  4. #4
    Ascendant Gunzip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robes View Post
    How can it be your only toon since beta 3 if you have a cleric alt?
    Played a rogue the entire year since release, my cleric just got to 50 recently, too lazy to update sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

    It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Meina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ITZ View Post
    Any arena style coming to rift for pvp?

    All I can give you is a statement made by Trion back in February 2011...

    "Some people think these are a great idea, and others are less than thrilled due to negative experiences with related-sounding mechanics in other games that provide E-Sport style PvP, which we have intentionally not included and do not have plans to. Other games have their issues to design for, and we have ours. The two are definitely different."

    And

    "Q: Am I going to have to "grind" two sets of gear the entire time?

    A: No. Gear from each kind of play is competitive in the other side. It's just not overpowering to the other side. It remains a great head start. We expect that the highest end PvP and PvE'ers will choose to care, but the majority won't find that its existence impacts their gameplay in a negative way, since we are not balancing the game around any kind of E-Sport style Arenas, as other games have."

    These remarks were made in reference to the differences between PvE and PvP gear, but it is quite apparent that they had no intention of adding an arena style system when these statements were made.

    Source: http://rift.ign.com/articles/topics/1001464/Beta/p2
    Last edited by Meina; 03-04-2012 at 11:41 AM.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Gunzip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    All I can give you is a statement made by Trion back in February 2011...

    "Some people think these are a great idea, and others are less than thrilled due to negative experiences with related-sounding mechanics in other games that provide E-Sport style PvP, which we have intentionally not included and do not have plans to. Other games have their issues to design for, and we have ours. The two are definitely different."

    And

    "Q: Am I going to have to "grind" two sets of gear the entire time?

    A: No. Gear from each kind of play is competitive in the other side. It's just not overpowering to the other side. It remains a great head start. We expect that the highest end PvP and PvE'ers will choose to care, but the majority won't find that its existence impacts their gameplay in a negative way, since we are not balancing the game around any kind of E-Sport style Arenas, as other games have."

    These remarks were made in reference to the differences between PvE and PvP gear, but it is quite apparent that they had no intention of adding an arena style system when these statements were made.

    Source: http://rift.ign.com/articles/topics/1001464/Beta/p2

    I'm not sure why these threads are so persistent, why don't these people go play wow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

    It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple BlackSpikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    123

    Default Never

    Something tells me that there isn't going to be any arena style pvp, sooooo, get over it, or play wow.

    (and yes, good point gunzip).

  8. #8
    ITZ
    ITZ is offline
    Soulwalker ITZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Thanks meina for just answering my question and not questioning me. Was just wonder so many thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    All I can give you is a statement made by Trion back in February 2011...

    "Some people think these are a great idea, and others are less than thrilled due to negative experiences with related-sounding mechanics in other games that provide E-Sport style PvP, which we have intentionally not included and do not have plans to. Other games have their issues to design for, and we have ours. The two are definitely different."

    And

    "Q: Am I going to have to "grind" two sets of gear the entire time?

    A: No. Gear from each kind of play is competitive in the other side. It's just not overpowering to the other side. It remains a great head start. We expect that the highest end PvP and PvE'ers will choose to care, but the majority won't find that its existence impacts their gameplay in a negative way, since we are not balancing the game around any kind of E-Sport style Arenas, as other games have."

    These remarks were made in reference to the differences between PvE and PvP gear, but it is quite apparent that they had no intention of adding an arena style system when these statements were made.

    Source: http://rift.ign.com/articles/topics/1001464/Beta/p2

  9. #9
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    I'm not sure why these threads are so persistent, why don't these people go play wow?
    How are you so dense that you can't understand why people would want it added to this game but do not want to play WoW? There's trolling and there's being stupid.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Gunzip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    How are you so dense that you can't understand why people would want it added to this game but do not want to play WoW? There's trolling and there's being stupid.
    I have a lot of respect for you as a pvper Seether, but there's a reason why I quit playing wow, and it was because how broken arena made that game class balance wise, I would rather not see that same mistake repeated in this game. So no thank you on the stupid arena/rated warfront ideas, it's stupid and broken, hands down. So please, if you want that playstyle, go sub to wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

    It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Meina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    I have a lot of respect for you as a pvper Seether, but there's a reason why I quit playing wow, and it was because how broken arena made that game class balance wise, I would rather not see that same mistake repeated in this game. So no thank you on the stupid arena/rated warfront ideas, it's stupid and broken, hands down. So please, if you want that playstyle, go sub to wow.
    While I agree with you in regards to arenas, I don't see how Rated WF's would be an issue.

    As long as they don't make it a "Must play" situation, like I described in the other thread, I don't see how there could be any real negative impact to the game if they add rated WF's. I do, however, have concerns about whether or not we have the population to support such a system, but that's something entirely different .

  12. #12
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    I have a lot of respect for you as a pvper Seether, but there's a reason why I quit playing wow, and it was because how broken arena made that game class balance wise, I would rather not see that same mistake repeated in this game. So no thank you on the stupid arena/rated warfront ideas, it's stupid and broken, hands down. So please, if you want that playstyle, go sub to wow.
    Well at least you gave me a post with some content and reasoning on why you feel the way you do. I never played WoW so I don't know exactly how it effected class balance but I would say balance being destroyed is the result of bad development decisions/listening to the wrong whiners and doesn't automatically accompany any sort of rated arena/warfront system.

    People are pretty much just throwing out requests for any sort of new PvP content imo and most figure arenas are relatively easy to implement. I am sure many of these players would be almost as happy if there was a new set of wf maps/game modes to play.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Gunzip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    Well at least you gave me a post with some content and reasoning on why you feel the way you do. I never played WoW so I don't know exactly how it effected class balance but I would say balance being destroyed is the result of bad development decisions/listening to the wrong whiners and doesn't automatically accompany any sort of rated arena/warfront system.

    People are pretty much just throwing out requests for any sort of new PvP content imo and most figure arenas are relatively easy to implement. I am sure many of these players would be almost as happy if there was a new set of wf maps/game modes to play.
    If there was a way to implement an Elo rated system in this game that incorporated an arena style or rated warfront setup without breaking classes in pvp or pve, then I'm all for it. But I played wow for six years, and it placed a laser focus which highlighted certain class abilities that made balance a headache for the dev's, TRION already commented on this fact. I'm not sure how the system would work, but it would have to separate certain abilities and how they function in a pvp or pve setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

    It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

  14. #14
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    See I believe that a lot of people are of the opinion that they would rather have a broken/unbalanced/in flux system rather than no system of competitive play at all. Yes there will be whining about being forced into certain builds or something being OP but that is already happening now. Just don't give any real progression stuff (aka gear) to the top people other than costume stuff and it shouldn't matter.

  15. #15
    Ascendant Gunzip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    See I believe that a lot of people are of the opinion that they would rather have a broken/unbalanced/in flux system rather than no system of competitive play at all. Yes there will be whining about being forced into certain builds or something being OP but that is already happening now. Just don't give any real progression stuff (aka gear) to the top people other than costume stuff and it shouldn't matter.
    Or at the very least rune enchants that give a slight bump in power, maybe that would give some sort of carrot on a stick incentive for the community to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

    It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts