+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Get rid of twinks

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    I thought from what I posted (and the numerous other posts you keep referring to) that it might be obvious that the issue isn't so much gearing as it is the XP lock. Without the lock, even if someone bothers to waste large amounts of time and money getting the perfect set of gear, after less than half a dozen hours at most it's redundant because you've entered the next bracket. The cost of twinking for such a short time often outweighs the benefits and immediately limits the lengths people will go to in creating a twink.

I also disagree with the idea that it only affects the 10-19 bracket, the 20-29 bracket is just as bad, and the 30-39 is actually worse.
    Do you know what is involved in gearing a character to be competitive in the 20-49 level range? It doesn't sound like you do.

Being in the higher end does help (mostly with the number of abilities that you have available), but the bolstering that occurs for players who are at the bottom end is actually very well done. The only time I ever feel at a serious disadvantage is when I am up against twinks.
    The bolstering system gives you more health and adjusts hit/resist tables so you don't struggle to hit players 3+ levels higher than you. That is all. It doesn't boost your abilities, it doesn't boost any other stats. Health and hit. That's it.

Maybe I felt a new thread would draw more attention, because so far there has been no Developer response to all these threads that apparently exist. Either way, if you don't like it either stop posting and perpetuating the thread and report it, or stop bringing it up because you're a fool if you think I care.
    The devs aren't very active in these forums. They're petty smart that way. They know that when they add new features that affect PvP, it takes a while for people to settle down and adapt. They read the forums. They know some people are unhappy about xp locked characters in warfronts. What, if anything they change is in their hands, but I don't expect an end to "twinks" any time soon.

<snip>
    I'm not going to rebut each and every item because it's all been said in the other threads.

Maybe I felt a new thread would draw more attention, because so far there has been no Developer response to all these threads that apparently exist. Either way, if you don't like it either stop posting and perpetuating the thread and report it, or stop bringing it up because you're a fool if you think I care.
    A general rule of thumb for forums is that larger threads with coherent and constructive discussion garner more attention than numerous, redundant threads on the same topic. This is why Trion stepped in and slammed the door on the ton of arena related threads we had a short while ago. They'll tell you, officially, when they lock a redundant thread that they prefer you add to an already established thread, not make a new one.

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.
    source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry

Sounds an awful lot like the OP --- not surprising the bigot isn't self aware however.

With that I leave this wasteland of a thread, and hope Trion chances upon it and shuts it down. Not an ounce of constructive thought to be found herein.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by nemecis View Post
    source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry

Sounds an awful lot like the OP --- not surprising the bigot isn't self aware however.

With that I leave this wasteland of a thread, and hope Trion chances upon it and shuts it down. Not an ounce of constructive thought to be found herein.
    Not at all surprising that you continue to attack me rather than discuss the post. Shame you didn't like the next sentence in the wikipedia definition.

Default Rubbish

Steps have already been taken and no doubt will continue to be taken to eliminate usage of level inappropriate gear in the x0-x9 brackets. Meaning that everyone in any x0-x9 bracket does have the means to obtain the same or equivalent gear that is used by so called "twinks" and without resorting to help from another toon on their account and shard, if they are willing to pursue the proper steps and invest in the necessary time to do so and to lock their xp at appropriate times. There are no exceptions to this fact in the xo-x9 brackets, and anyone can "twink". This can not be stressed enough, and it has been stressed in the many topics similar to this one.

Things dramatically changed in 1.7. People just need to become educated on how to use it to its fullest advantage. These forums, and guilds, and just talking with long time players of this game, are ways to obtain that education. Just remember that honey is more attractive than vinegar.

tl;dr: There is a time and place for everything. L2Prioritize the toon leveling methods that became possible with game version 1.7.

Plane Touched

No I think you're missing the point.

Twinks is a lot like allowing someone ten levels above you to enter your warfront, because their gear gives them the stats and output of someone ten levels higher.

Maximising output only really applies to 50. You can of course twink a bit as you level as I do do, but very quickly I am into the next bracket and off I go. What we have no are people who will never leave that bracket, and because they are basically ten levels higher than most of the other players (by value of their gear) they destroy it for everyone else.
    Welcome to 50's pvp where 25 - 40 bracket has atleast 15 levels difference and sometimes i get fresh 50s in it. kinda sad to play against low ranked gear.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    I'll be posting a video in the next day or two that illustrates how new players can gear to be competitive in any bracket above 20. I'm not touching the 10-19 bracket because it's dominated by players using characters funded by wealthy mains and that's just not very sporting.

After that, if you don't want to take the very reasonable steps to gear yourself to be competitive in PvP, that's your choice. You just won't be able to say you didn't have a chance.
    not me, both my 19 and 39 war is wearing dungeon gear with a few pieces of world event. i think i have one crafted hit necklace with a flawless in it on my 39.

dungeon blues+enchants are fine, people need to stop qqing and l2play. if you cant take getting facerolled by twinks put in literally the two hours, and be competitive. dont cry about how others SHOULDNT be competitive in an MMO.

many have already stated how easy it is to gear up for x9 without a main/300crafter/plat, all it takes is effort. if i rolled a new char right now and went from level 1-19, i could be competitive in like 3 hours or less including the time it takes to gear up.

you people demand that i have pity for someone who puts in exactly 0 effort and expects to be rewarded with victory. as far as i can tell in mmo's if you put the time in, typically your rewarded.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by labotimy View Post
    not me, both my 19 and 39 war is wearing dungeon gear with a few pieces of world event. i think i have one crafted hit necklace with a flawless in it on my 39.

dungeon blues+enchants are fine, people need to stop qqing and l2play. if you cant take getting facerolled by twinks put in literally the two hours, and be competitive. dont cry about how others SHOULDNT be competitive in an MMO.

many have already stated how easy it is to gear up for x9 without a main/300crafter/plat, all it takes is effort. if i rolled a new char right now and went from level 1-19, i could be competitive in like 3 hours or less including the time it takes to gear up.

you people demand that i have pity for someone who puts in exactly 0 effort and expects to be rewarded with victory. as far as i can tell in mmo's if you put the time in, typically your rewarded.
    Hello Mr heavily biased XP locking twink getting cheap thrills from steam rolling people with no chance to fight back.

Sure during this current world event while old currencies are available you can kit yourself out in decent gear. But what about afterwards? And how will people go about getting valor sigils or 6 slot sigils? Where are they going to learn about what's BiS, which runes, potions and other item enhancements to buy? Where is the logic in spending hours or days to farm out for this gear, just to be competitive for a short time and then it's back to the bottom of the bracket.

The whole point of warfronts as you level is that there is something else to do while you level, because let's face it RIFT has some pretty dull questing as you level, very grindy stuff. Dungeons and warfronts and invasions alleviate that. But if warfronts are no fun at all without first spending hours checking what you need to be competitive and actually earning it, you're taking that off the table.

People who have XP locked twinks are cowards who can't stand the heat at 50 so they've rolled a low level character and twinked it out to be able to steam roll new players who don't know about and don't have access to all this gear (whether the access is denied by lack of time, knowledge, currency or plat).

You are the noob tubers of RIFT, scoring cheap meaningless kills to satiate your own feelings on inadequacy while ruining the game for everyone else.

Ascendant

Hello Mr heavily biased XP locking twink getting cheap thrills from steam rolling people with no chance to fight back.

Sure during this current world event while old currencies are available you can kit yourself out in decent gear. But what about afterwards? And how will people go about getting valor sigils or 6 slot sigils? Where are they going to learn about what's BiS, which runes, potions and other item enhancements to buy? Where is the logic in spending hours or days to farm out for this gear, just to be competitive for a short time and then it's back to the bottom of the bracket.

The whole point of warfronts as you level is that there is something else to do while you level, because let's face it RIFT has some pretty dull questing as you level, very grindy stuff. Dungeons and warfronts and invasions alleviate that. But if warfronts are no fun at all without first spending hours checking what you need to be competitive and actually earning it, you're taking that off the table.

People who have XP locked twinks are cowards who can't stand the heat at 50 so they've rolled a low level character and twinked it out to be able to steam roll new players who don't know about and don't have access to all this gear (whether the access is denied by lack of time, knowledge, currency or plat).

You are the noob tubers of RIFT, scoring cheap meaningless kills to satiate your own feelings on inadequacy while ruining the game for everyone else.
    I've got most of the footage recorded for the guide/overview on how to gear from all the different brackets from 20-49. I just have to clean it up a bit and do the voiceover and then I'll be posting it.

In the meantime, you might want to cut it out with the, "wah wah you have such an unfair advantage" nonsense, because you CLEARLY have no idea just how easy it is to get geared.

When you see just how fundamentally simple and easy it is to get geared, I'd hate for the realization to strike you right when you've got a heaping mouthful of foot to swallow before you can come to terms with reality.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    I've got most of the footage recorded for the guide/overview on how to gear from all the different brackets from 20-49. I just have to clean it up a bit and do the voiceover and then I'll be posting it.

In the meantime, you might want to cut it out with the, "wah wah you have such an unfair advantage" nonsense, because you CLEARLY have no idea just how easy it is to get geared.

When you see just how fundamentally simple and easy it is to get geared, I'd hate for the realization to strike you right when you've got a heaping mouthful of foot to swallow before you can come to terms with reality.
    Nice of you to address none of the points I raise but continue to insult me personally. I'm so hurt.

Your guide will be invalid in less than four weeks when the Glass Beads are no longer available, or if it relies on having a level 50 already, I wouldn't waste your time posting it.

Why even wait for a video guide, why not just post here and now what a person would need to do, and your estimated time frames for doing it. Or are you afraid that we'll be able to see right off the bat that whatever you're going to suggest isn't as straight forward as you're suggesting?

Telaran

I play in the 29 bracket. I have had more 1000-999 Codex and 500-490 Black Gardens than I ever played at 50 (long-time r8, err 40 here). It's a LOT of fun and unbelievably competitive. Sure there are some face-roll matches but there are a lot more even matches over-all, at least in my Battlegroup.

jca
    Rift Chaser

So yesterday for grins I recorded a number of wf's with my 39 twink warrior. There are a couple gaurdian twinks that routinely focus me and keep me in check, but when they weren't present yesterday I was pretty much facerolling; to the point that I started wondering if there was indeed some massive gear advantage even in 30-39. I was in my burst spec which I use to primarily go after blue bars and ranged rogues.

Of course, then I watched the videos afterwards. People, it's not a gear gap! It's rogues that stand there and try to cast shadow fire with a warrior in their face. It's mages and clerics that get silenced and just stand there while I beat on them. In one Black Garden, I ran right through the enemy team untouched to find a mage and 2 clerics in the back standing together. I silence all three with a windspear and proceed to burn mage down while he stands there. So, mage dies and both clerics are still standing right next to me even though they've been silenced for the last five seconds. Guess they didn't want mage to feel lonely getting killed all by himself. I proceed to kill cleric number one. Windspear has worn off by now so I interupt while he stands there trying to cast healing communion while I beat on him. So cleric number 1 dies and omg, cleric number 2 has been nice enough to wait there for me. Windspear is off cd so I silence him and proceed to kill him while he stands there and takes it. All this time, not one of the three made any attempt to kite or move away and nobody on their team made any attempt to get on me or offer a peal. It seems their warriors and rogues were more interested in trying to take down our tanky warrior than helping their own casters and heals. There was this one ranged rogue that made an effort after all three casters went down but standing there long enough for me to run up on him w/o having to use any of my gap closers pretty much sealed his fate as well.

The rest of the match continues in pretty much the same fashion as I continue to destroy their heals pretty much at will while they stand and take it and their team does nothing.

This is the "twink gap", not gear. This is 30-39, not 10-19. By this time, you should have at least a clue as to how to pvp. They get destroyed for being terrible and then cry that "twinks" and their mega gear are making pvp unplayable. I often get very competitive wf's in 30-39 but when they turn out to be facerolls for one side or the other, it's usually due to play like I've described above.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by jca View Post
    I often get very competitive wf's in 30-39 but when they turn out to be facerolls for one side or the other, it's usually due to play like I've described above.
    I've been in plenty of WF's where either my own team is herp derping or the enemy team is, and that is just life, I have no issue there.

But when you see players doing double, triple, quadruple the damage and healing of anyone else, that's an issue imo, because those players play those brackets on purpose knowing that the vast majority of the time they will reign supreme, making life miserable for everyone else.

General of Telara

19 twinks are so boring. I did try making a 19 mage (with full crafted gear with flawless augments). He was certainly rocking the garden, but it really got old fast, so turned off XP lock :/

I'll most likely lock him at 49 when he gets there because I really don't need a 3rd level 50 to gear up to be able to do anything with it and at least you can run specs with more than 3 buttons by then! And maybe ding him 50 once he gets enough favor to buy good gear directly.

Ascendant

if it werent were xp lock, i wouldnt be playing this game right now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast