+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PvP Video - How to lose a lead...

Ascendant

Default PvP Video - How to lose a lead...

Another new video after a surreal Codex match tonight. I got sent as a merc to a match in progress where first glance at the scoreboard showed good news. Glancing down at the node status showed something entirely different...

Not fully satisfied with the editing job on this one, but I was mostly messing around with getting HD videos up to youtube and doing so without third party content flags :P

Enjoy!

Black Garden match going up tomorrow...

Why are you still rocking a 90% speed mount when you have way over 110 plat? O.O
    Aren't the 50 mounts buyable at like 40 now?

Or wasit only the level 40 mounts that got lowered...?
    Last edited by Aguni; 03-01-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post
    Why are you still rocking a 90% speed mount when you have way over 110 plat? O.O
    Aren't the 50 mounts buyable at like 40 now?

Or wasit only the level 40 mounts that got lowered...?
    40 mounts got lowered. 50 mounts still need 50 D: I have three alts to buy level 50 mounts for...my warrior, my mage (also locked at 49...might do some videos with her) and my cleric (just hit 49, getting geared, will definitely be some videos with her o.O). So I'm just stockpiling the plat as best I can now.

Just use favor to buy the 90% mounts at level 30 and save plat for other things. I locked my second Cleric at level 39 and have 85k favor so it was a no brainer to use favor instead of plat to buy a mount.
    I do wish Trion would implement a way to opt out of Merc without getting the deserter debuff.
    "A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".--Groucho Marx
    "I read in the newspapers they are going to have 30 minutes of intellectual stuff on television every Monday from 7:30 to 8. to educate America. They couldn't educate America if they started at 6:30."--Groucho Marx

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Cathbadb View Post
    Just use favor to buy the 90% mounts at level 30 and save plat for other things. I locked my second Cleric at level 39 and have 85k favor so it was a no brainer to use favor instead of plat to buy a mount.
    I do wish Trion would implement a way to opt out of Merc without getting the deserter debuff.
    I have the 90% mount for all of my characters, which is good. I really noticed a difference during my time in the 30-39 bracket with both my warrior and my mage when you show up and people are still riding around on their 60% tartagon, especially in WS.

I may put together a supply of riding chaps this weekend. And insoles. And more armor plating and whetstones. Competitive pr-50 PvP is srs bsns.

I have found the best brackets tend to be level 29 and 39. At level 10-19 many players seem to have no idea what the WF objectives are. This can be both thrilling (easy kills) and frustrating (easy losses) Fighting 1v1 or in the middle seems to be the order of the day. By the time players get to level 29 or 39 they have a good grasp (hopefully) of the WF mechanics and do pretty well.

In the level 49 bracket people seem to be preoccupied with hitting level 50 and not caring so much about the actual outcome of the WF (I find this especially true amongst Defiants). Most enemy Guardians tend to be from PvP servers and faceroll the Defiants in PvP. At this level there are fewer healers because those playing Clerics know they will be the primary target (foreshadowing level 50 WF's) and decide to go dps instead so as to not spend so much of the WF taking a dirt nap.

Your video nicely illustrates some of the apathy being displayed in WF's currently.
    "A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".--Groucho Marx
    "I read in the newspapers they are going to have 30 minutes of intellectual stuff on television every Monday from 7:30 to 8. to educate America. They couldn't educate America if they started at 6:30."--Groucho Marx

I have a suggestion for Trion in regards to WF's.
    I have seen many people in WF chat ask what the objectives are for the battle (much to my dismay) which explains a lot of the losses that go on.

Perhaps before the start of the match, battlefront tips (such as objectives) might be displayed on the screen while people are getting ready. Library of the Runemasters seems to be guilty of this. Picking up Rune vessels (or fangs in Black Garden) and holding them in the center seems beyond the comprehension of many players, especially in the lower level brackets. Also display the difference in points between Codex (3pts) and all the others flags (2 pts) so people understand which flag they should cap and how many their team needs overall.

Over and over again I see people fighting in the middle and not bothering with objectives or just walking right past Rune vessels and ignoring them (they sparkle for a reason) because they seem to not understand what needs to be done in order to win.

Ascendant

I have found the best brackets tend to be level 29 and 39. At level 10-19 many players seem to have no idea what the WF objectives are. This can be both thrilling (easy kills) and frustrating (easy losses) Fighting 1v1 or in the middle seems to be the order of the day. By the time players get to level 29 or 39 they have a good grasp (hopefully) of the WF mechanics and do pretty well.

In the level 49 bracket people seem to be preoccupied with hitting level 50 and not caring so much about the actual outcome of the WF (I find this especially true amongst Defiants). Most enemy Guardians tend to be from PvP servers and faceroll the Defiants in PvP. At this level there are fewer healers because those playing Clerics know they will be the primary target (foreshadowing level 50 WF's) and decide to go dps instead so as to not spend so much of the WF taking a dirt nap.

Your video nicely illustrates some of the apathy being displayed in WF's currently.
    In my case, I had planned to push into the 40-49 bracket all along because the goal is to farm favor for level 50 gear and you just get more in that bracket. I locked my warrior's xp briefly at 39 when there were some folks from the forums in my wargroup and in that bracket, but the twink population was heavily skewed to the Defiant side and they were running a lot of premades which sucked any competitive aspect right out of the whole process.

I've noticed that Guardians are gradually reaching a much more competitive footing in the 40-49 bracket than when I first got there. The merc system combined with twinks is making for a very dynamic landscape. I know a lot of them by name and as soon as I see them on the other team I know we're in for a fight. I think the issue right now is that there are certain combinations of twinks that become nearly unstoppable when they're on the same team. There's a Defiant pyro/dom and a Guardian cleric twink and when they're on the same team it's pretty much gg.

In the end it comes down to coordination and communication. The only raid chat in that video is people complaining about which calling was more OP. 1v1 there aren't many people I can't handle. It's when you get caught alone by a gang that there's not much you can do, and when your team is spread so thin, getting caught alone happens altogether too often.

I'm going to spend the weekend focused on my cleric. I need to farm the hell out of CR and scrounge up another 160 or so Inscribed Sourcestones to finish gearing her and then there should be some interesting videos from that little project.

Ascendant

I have a suggestion for Trion in regards to WF's.
    I have seen many people in WF chat ask what the objectives are for the battle (much to my dismay) which explains a lot of the losses that go on.

Perhaps before the start of the match, battlefront tips (such as objectives) might be displayed on the screen while people are getting ready. Library of the Runemasters seems to be guilty of this. Picking up Rune vessels (or fangs in Black Garden) and holding them in the center seems beyond the comprehension of many players, especially in the lower level brackets. Also display the difference in points between Codex (3pts) and all the others flags (2 pts) so people understand which flag they should cap and how many their team needs overall.

Over and over again I see people fighting in the middle and not bothering with objectives or just walking right past Rune vessels and ignoring them (they sparkle for a reason) because they seem to not understand what needs to be done in order to win.
    I think it might help, but at the same time I come from a primarily PvE background and if you can't teach someone not to stand in the stuff on the ground that kills them after a dozen runs through the content, the dynamic nature of warfronts is going to be forever beyond their grasp. Even the debates on these forums over which Codex strategy is "best" clearly demonstrates the one-dimensional thinking in regards to warfronts. You can teach people the basics, (ie. pick up runes and hold them to score points) but people have to be able to assess the situation and decide on their own whether they should be running for the middle or trying to find a cubby to hide in if the other team has the middle locked down. It's always frustrating to watch a lone teammate come sauntering up the steps with the rune vessel glow lighting them up with a "kill me now" sign straight into the enemy zergball.

Rift Disciple

RIFT players don't know how to make decent pvp vids. The same boring and bad edited content over and over.
    Last edited by Ax1om; 03-01-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    BEST ROGUE EU

Quote Originally Posted by Ax1om View Post
    RIFT players don't know how to make decent pvp vids. The same boring and bad edited content over and over.
    Where's yours?
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Ascendant

Here's the Black Garden video I promised.

Too soon I think to start a new thread for yet another video. Tried messing around with transitioning the "dull" moments. Enjoy!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ax1om View Post
    I'm always open to ideas and suggestions. There's a learning curve to these shenanigans and everyone has to start somewhere :P

Champion

I did like the comments in the first video, although it looks like "what went wrong" was the guards got (or had someone change) to healer. Defiant side shows all DPS, so when 2 DPS only sides go at it you can get one result, but when one side gets a healer - all hell breaks loose.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Not Listing It Here View Post
    I did like the comments in the first video, although it looks like "what went wrong" was the guards got (or had someone change) to healer. Defiant side shows all DPS, so when 2 DPS only sides go at it you can get one result, but when one side gets a healer - all hell breaks loose.
    That might have been a big part of it. The closest I saw to teamwork was one push to defend Translation Scope when I was on my way to Thontic to try another ninja cap and force the enemy to scatter, but they were too well organized. Normally I can see the entire map from just off the GY ledge, including player nameplates, and it's easy to see where my guys are and where the enemy is and make the decision regarding where to go next, but this match was one of those exceptions where you never seem to see more than one or two teammates anywhere you go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast