+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Should PvP be about gear?

Quote Originally Posted by LOveRH View Post
    I stopped reading after "Personally being a fairly casual player..."

I guess this is when i whip out, "L2play and suck it up".
    It really does not matter if the player is causal or not.. what he is stating is that pvp should be about skill not gear. Hell GW2 picked that up quickly and they clearly state that their pvp is "not gear based" but based on skill cause all pvper get the same gear,etc.

So it seems we have now two type of pvpers (1 - that enjoys a good skillful fight) and (2- one that like the easy route where they depend on their gear).

So many of the skillful pvpers want a good fight .. hell if I kill a lvl 50 too fast i get disappointed and move on and I would not even bother attacking them if i see them again that same week.
    Drank at Conqueronline, Vanguard, AOC, WAR and AION. Currently collecting meh Beers at Rift! aka (Killforbeers)
    WHERE'S MEH BEERS !!
    Here meh 2 cents - Keep da change ya filthy animal...
    Nice day fer Murda

Quote Originally Posted by jaal View Post
    This thread isnt about how long it takes to grind gear. Phrehaps take a moment to read what this thread is about, then sit down, and think about it for a minute.

Its has nothing to do with saying PvP gear to too hard to get or even saying the PvP system is unfair. Its simply saying there are those that want a fair playing feild where it is pure skill and when you beat someone with 5% health, its not because you had a slight edge on them, its because you were better.
    Well stated... I speak to Santa Claus ta send you a year supply of beer
    Drank at Conqueronline, Vanguard, AOC, WAR and AION. Currently collecting meh Beers at Rift! aka (Killforbeers)
    WHERE'S MEH BEERS !!
    Nice day fer Murda

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    In my 10 years of playing MMO's, the worst players are always the ones that make threads on the forums about gear, glad to know you're a bad OP, keep on being bad. All the time you just spent on these forums today could have gone into grinding out your P40 gear.
    LOL P40 should be useless in pvp only r40 gear should count for pvpers. Hell I do the same I try to get the best gear quick for pvp cause its the only way to stay alive. Hell but I do miss the skillful fights. Seems you are used to gear based pvp but to each its own. However, the OP is asking for a skillful fight, a good fight not based on gear. Sure he will eventually get his gear and own others as well. However, a skillful fighter get disappointed when its an easy kill. We dont lose our gear, no true open pvp, etc.

Oh kool, I killed a player fast(low geared) call him a noob, lack of skill, learn2play, etc.. wow that is skill. I am sure if you and that player had similar gears, same class, I wonder who would win. Then you would be playing to get better at how to use your class in a pvp instead of grinding for gear to get a better one and call others players "worst players".

Mind you I been a "pker" for a long time hell when we were called pkers not pvpers lol...
    WHERE'S MEH BEERS !!
    Nice day fer Murda

Quote Originally Posted by Killforbeer View Post
    It really does not matter if the player is causal or not.. what he is stating is that pvp should be about skill not gear. Hell GW2 picked that up quickly and they clearly state that their pvp is "not gear based" but based on skill cause all pvper get the same gear,etc.

So it seems we have now two type of pvpers (1 - that enjoys a good skillful fight) and (2- one that like the easy route where they depend on their gear).

So many of the skillful pvpers want a good fight .. hell if I kill a lvl 50 too fast i get disappointed and move on and I would not even bother attacking them if i see them again that same week.
    I see what your saying, but the problem is going to be that players will lose interest. Earning gear is what makes MMO's so damn addictive. To say there is NO SKILL IN RIFT is a joke though. I learned tricks to trip up players, I learned other classes so that I can better fight them or to learn how they work and when to watch for certain build ups. Doing so has taught me a lot and how to fight so much. Yes there is gear in the game, but think, when you guys get up there and you just got hazed time and time again that you will have learned how to fight those big bad rank 40s and you will be suited to be competitive. I was like you guys minus the going on the threads and getting pissed, I kept playing ands learning, now I feel that I can rock most players including other rank 40s. Don't give up, keep adapting and keep learning, you'll get there seriously.

I want to apologize for my additude, but to hear players complaining about something that really isn't a big deal kinda gets to me. Another thing is when people mention other games on here, seriously, not cool.

sorry for the horrible post, on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by HannonHellbringer View Post
    I see what your saying, but the problem is going to be that players will lose interest. Earning gear is what makes MMO's so damn addictive. To say there is NO SKILL IN RIFT is a joke though. I learned tricks to trip up players, I learned other classes so that I can better fight them or to learn how they work and when to watch for certain build ups. Doing so has taught me a lot and how to fight so much. Yes there is gear in the game, but think, when you guys get up there and you just got hazed time and time again that you will have learned how to fight those big bad rank 40s and you will be suited to be competitive. I was like you guys minus the going on the threads and getting pissed, I kept playing ands learning, now I feel that I can rock most players including other rank 40s. Don't give up, keep adapting and keep learning, you'll get there seriously.

I want to apologize for my additude, but to hear players complaining about something that really isn't a big deal kinda gets to me. Another thing is when people mention other games on here, seriously, not cool.
    No its kool.. that is what these forumns are for to read about everyone's opinions.
    WHERE'S MEH BEERS !!
    Nice day fer Murda

sorry for the horrible post, on my phone.
    See that is the problem, you are on the phone. I just hope your not driving cause then you die and I can't hunt and kill you in this game cause.. your on the phone...
    WHERE'S MEH BEERS !!
    Nice day fer Murda

Quote Originally Posted by Killforbeer View Post
    See that is the problem, you are on the phone. I just hope your not driving cause then you die and I can't hunt and kill you in this game cause.. your on the phone...
    LOL, No I'm not driving, though I thank you for your concern. I'd be glad to meet ya on the field. What server are you on?
    Last edited by HannonHellbringer; 03-02-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Rift Disciple

Hmm.I sympathise. I just rolled a rogue who is now lvl 10 on a PVP server. I have left silverwood and am finding that NPCs and other higher lvl players are 1 shotting me despite my superior skills.

I am a casual player so its going to take me weeks to get to lvl 50 and right now I have no chance because all the lvl 50s I am attacking kill me in 1 shot despite the fact they have less skill.

Come on Trion-When are you going to even the playing field so us lvl 10s can be competitive with lvl 50s?I don't have time for all that grinding to level up due to my play style and this isn't fair.

It's not as if those lvl 50s had to grind their way to lvl 50 before...they...erm...

...erm <cough> ...I think...maybe...
    Last edited by Torvax; 03-02-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    In my 10 years of playing MMO's, the worst players are always the ones that make threads on the forums about gear, glad to know you're a bad OP, keep on being bad. All the time you just spent on these forums today could have gone into grinding out your P40 gear.
    Well you see Gunzip, if i was bat at this game then with the proposed system i would only get to rank 1 and stay there and i would play against other bad players... so it would be competetive

It has been stated many times that this would be an ADDITION to the gear system, so those that like to play gear dependant PvP still can and as far as i can tell you would have MORE to work for with my proposed system. I shall post it below

Here is what i think would be a good addition (not replacement)

Have a RANKED WF where every player of a class will have three different stat armour sets to choose from (so you can play the sytle you want). Each player starts on rank 0 and goes up ranks after they have got enough skill points. You enter the WF and play out the game, those who finish in the top 40% of the leader board (based on contribution to the match, not kills) gain skill points, the middle 20% dont gain or loose any, and the bottom 40% lose points.

As you gain ranks you get access to more costume gear and titles, you can only wear this gear or use these titles while you are in that rank or higher. There can be 5 ranks, players start at rank 0. Players in rank 5 have to play atleast once every two weeks or they will loose skill points, increasing every two weeks (if a player takes 3 months out they will find themselves as a rank 4 and work back up).

Your rank only applies to your current soul selection or ones very similar. You cant get to rank 5 with a FotM DPS class and then switch to healer, you will need to rank up your healer. You may not be as skilled as a healer so will only reach rank 3. This way you are always playing competitively. When you are healer you play rank 3, switch souls to dps where you are better and play in rank 5. Will also stop you being rank 5 and then losing skill points because you want to try a different spec in PvP.

I think sitting in sanctum with the rank 5 title, wearing rank 5 gear gives FAR more bragging rights and sense of achievement then having the best PvP as it is. You will know your wearing that gear because you deserve it.. those who want to grind to the best gear in the current system and then plough through other 50's because they're imba still have that option
    Everymatch you will need to give your 100% concentration win or lose so you get more skill points to try and progress to the next rank. Each rank you have new items and titles availible to you (maybe mounts, consumables, costumes etc) as reward for your acheievement

Prophet of Telara

Wait till 1.8 hits and we get better PVP gear.

It has been stated many times that this would be an ADDITION to the gear system, so those that like to play gear dependant PvP still can and as far as i can tell you would have MORE to work for with my proposed system. I shall post it below

Everymatch you will need to give your 100% concentration win or lose so you get more skill points to try and progress to the next rank. Each rank you have new items and titles availible to you (maybe mounts, consumables, costumes etc) as reward for your acheievement
    I see what your saying, but it would have to be a WHOLE new system they would have to manage and try to control, on top of the stress they already have. Also, like I said before, some classes are more gear dependant than others, so they do not top out until they get good gear. The idea is nice and I do not dislike adding things to the game, since adding is always better then stripping away, but it seems to be a lot not to mention the games may be barren since the larger portion of the pvprs, pvp to get the gear to use for raiding.

I see what your saying, but it would have to be a WHOLE new system they would have to manage and try to control, on top of the stress they already have. Also, like I said before, some classes are more gear dependant than others, so they do not top out until they get good gear. The idea is nice and I do not dislike adding things to the game, since adding is always better then stripping away, but it seems to be a lot not to mention the games may be barren since the larger portion of the pvprs, pvp to get the gear to use for raiding.
    I see what your saying, agreed it is another thing for Trion to have to implement but if they want to retain subs they will need to keep expanding their game (like they do).

I feel it wouldnt be hard to regulate, if a particular class is gimped then all Trion have to do is boost the WF gear, simple as that

This thread is as crappy as the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast