+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Coming to Terms, a PvP post

Shadowlander

Default Coming to Terms, a PvP post

So I've been playing a warrior at level 50 for a long time. Maybe about 6 months. I'm right around prestige rank 35. I've struggled as a warrior in pvp.. tried different builds (about 100 plat worth or respecs). tried different tactics, bought countless pieces of pvp gear. Always felt a bit underpowered. I've come to terms with the reality of Rift PvP recently.

It's a team effort. Warriors in particular won't last long without a healer. Eventually they break down.

Maybe i've been conditioned by other PvP MMO's allowing one person regardless of class to steamroll armies of opponents. Rift has a reliance on teamwork that's more important than other games. It's not a problem with the game, but rather a nuance that one you understand it... the game is much more fun.

Ascendant

My experience is similar to yours, though I can't speak to it from a level 50 perspective just yet. It's absolutely astonishing the difference between what I can do as a warrior in warfronts with no outside healing at all and what I can do with even the occasional heal tossed my way. It doesn't seem to matter what build a warrior uses, no outside healing puts them in a rough spot.

I started playing a warrior in pvp around patch 1.6, prior to that I was chiefly a cleric. Last night my warrior hit rank 36 and I have been having a lot of fun.
    I do not yet have my PR36 weapons shield or top line pvp jewelery.

We (melee) are often in the eyeline of the enemy team ...click whoosh bang, dead.... it happens

Some classes are setup to deal with us and we do benefit massively from heals.

All that aside, I find my warrior to be very useful solo or as part of a team, with a few interesting capabilities;

( Please remember that all things change depending on who you face.)

Capable of soloing the church and flag bosses in Scion. The main boss requires a healer....

Capable of holding a flag in codex almost indefinitely 1 v 1. or delaying an enemy team until it flips our color.

Capable of stopping 1-2 Runner spec rogues from picking up whitefall flag.

Capable of running along side an enemy flag runner and killing them.

Capable of picking up flags and getting to my team with them.

Capable of turning an entire team around when I get in among the blue bars behind the front lines.

Do I ever get 40 kills for zero deaths? No.

Do I ever contribute majorly towards team wins? Yes.

Do I enjoy warrior? Yes
    Last edited by Duvain; 02-28-2012 at 07:14 PM.

The problem with RIFT's pvp is that not only is teamwork mandatory, but at the same time it's futile. A team with healers and DPS will always lose to a team of all dps, so long as both teams are using teamwork.

It's because Trion has given every DPS in the game a tool to dismantle healers, regardless if it's the healer themselves or the target they are healing. Then when the gimped healing classes are dealt with, the side with the more DPS wins. Every, single, time.
    Last edited by Trisian; 02-28-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Trisian View Post
    The problem with RIFT's pvp is that not only is teamwork mandatory, but at the same time it's futile. A team with healers and DPS will always lose to a team of all dps, so long as both teams are using teamwork.

It's because Trion has given every DPS in the game a tool to dismantle healers, regardless if it's the healer themselves or the target they are healing. Then when the gimped healing classes are dealt with, the side with the more DPS wins. Every, single, time.
    Maybe when playing with disorganized bads this is the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    Maybe when playing with disorganized bads this is the outcome.
    Disorganized bads are the only kind of players I enjoy playing with, because as a healer if I can keep them up despite how bad they are, they have a good time. Players who have a good time tend to stick around.

Your attitude on the other hand, drives them away. Now who's the bad?
    Last edited by Trisian; 02-28-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Not true at all.

Ascendant

warhammer players do know that: play in a team and you have fun, play random alone, you probably wont, unless you lower your expectation by 90% and never expect to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    warhammer players do know that: play in a team and you have fun, play random alone, you probably wont, unless you lower your expectation by 90% and never expect to win.
    You don't need always win to have fun, some times most hard encounter is most fun giving.

-= Gazamin =-

Ascendant

What?

I find that healing clerics (up to a point, maybe 30% of your team) are the most effective use of a spot in the game. Healing is very powerful in this game.

I think the main problem with most warriors in pvp (not that i mean this applies to you) is that they run around going "URRGGG YIEGHDIUHGHHHH" while trying to faceroll a group of 10 people alone and rolling their face over the keyboard. Warriors need to understand how to pick their fights and when they know they shouldn't charge in blindly.

As a warrior you just need to pick a spec that your comfortable with and that you can survive for a decent amount of time without heals. Go into a WF expecting that you won't to get heals and have that mindset when you attack someone. Once i started playing as if i will never get heals, i upped my game by a lot.
    Last edited by LOveRH; 02-29-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOveRH View Post
    I think the main problem with most warriors in pvp (not that i mean this applies to you) is that they run around going "URRGGG YIEGHDIUHGHHHH" while trying to faceroll a group of 10 people alone and rolling their face over the keyboard. Warriors need to understand how to pick their fights and when they know they shouldn't charge in blindly.
    But riftstalker lets rogues do that.

Ascendant

As a warrior you just need to pick a spec that your comfortable with and that you can survive for a decent amount of time without heals. Go into a WF expecting that you won't to get heals and have that mindset when you attack someone. Once i started playing as if i will never get heals, i upped my game by a lot.
    Not just warriors, I see a lot of people just running in there expecting to get heal bombed, instead they get instantly blown up.

Quote Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
    Not just warriors, I see a lot of people just running in there expecting to get heal bombed, instead they get instantly blown up.
    Yeah its fun to watch rofl.

Yeah its fun to watch rofl.
    I agree somewhat with the OP, in that one or two heals is the difference between getting one kill and dying, and going on a six kill rampage. It takes a lot to kill a warrior (unless your warrior is badly outgeared), and warriors do a lot of damage to a lot of people close together. So as you finish off that one guy, if you catch a heal, chances are you are going to wipe up 2, 3, ....6 ....annihilate the other team. I dont think that this points to a short coming of the warrior calling, but actually a strength, as they live so long with no heals, and even one time pumping them back up to full life can mean a totaly wipe of the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast