+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Voidmind

Thread: RvR?

Rift Disciple

Default RvR?

First off I want to say I am personally happy with PvP in rift. I just figured while everyone else had arena's on their wish list I would put mine out there as well.

I would like to eventually have a RvR zone. A static zone with a control point. Like the codex but with one central control point like a castle or village. Which ever faction controlled this control point would have NPCs that could be killed with the possibility to drop rare loot, or its own currency to purchase mounts, companions, recipes, etc.

While defiants controlled the zone, the NPCs could not be targeted by the Guardians. Same with artifacts they could only be seen by the faction that was in control.

This would not exclude the PvP haters! While PvPers fight for siege control, quests would opened up that non PvP individuals could run. Heck allow them to help PvPers control the zone without PvPing. They can fight PvE as waves of NPCs attack the siege.

Get crafters involved! They can craft and run supplies to merchants to the siege, all while not being flagged for PvP.

In my opinion you could allow all walks of life to help hold the fort down to keep control. PvPers fighting it out, completing quest contributes to the control, crafting, closing rifts, invasions, etc.

You could in a sense once and for all pull us all together. We all love the game that is a fact, I don't care how much someone complains if they didn't like the over all product they would just drop their subs.

But there are players who get more enjoyment out of PvE over PvP, crafting over closing rifts. This could potentially appeal and pull them all together. Which would allow them to use their own strengths to contribute control over this zone.

If you zoned into this zone PvP you can not go PvE, or vice versa.

You could do a point count system like what is done now in PvP allowing PvP, PvE, Quest, invasions & rifts closed, all contribute. Which I would hope appeal to everyone.

This is the basic idea. Of course there are more points I could narrow down but If I make it to long winded who in the heck is going to read it? =)

And yes RvR has been done before. But honestly it would take a company like Trion to do it this way and do it right imo.
    Last edited by Alanox; 02-24-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Default RvR yes

I agree with adding a RvR zone, but I don't agree allowing players to enter without being PvP flagged.

If it has control points, then the players MUST be flagged as soon as they enter ... otherwise, you would be allowing "groups" of players to move right up to control point without any opposition and then (and only then) flagging themselves for PvP combat. Or did I missunderstand something?

I like the idea of having artifacts that only the controlling side can see (collect), and the idea of crafters contributing is also interesting, but they still need to be PvP flagged when they enter the zone.

I posted this Warfront Zone suggestion, maybe something like that would also be okay for you?

Prophet of Telara

Your idea is extremely original and no variants of its form have ever been proposed on these forums. I think Trion will take these ideas and run with it and we can expect it to be implemented within a patch or two.

Quote Originally Posted by seether View Post
    your idea is extremely original and no variants of its form have ever been proposed on these forums. I think trion will take these ideas and run with it and we can expect it to be implemented within a patch or two.
    sarcasm mother fu**er, do you speak it?!?!
    it is not enough these days to question authority, you gotta speak with it too

Quote Originally Posted by Alanox View Post
    First off I want to say I am personally happy with PvP in rift. I just figured while everyone else had arena's on their wish list I would put mine out there as well.

I would like to eventually have a RvR zone. A static zone with a control point. Like the codex but with one central control point like a castle or village. Which ever faction controlled this control point would have NPCs that could be killed with the possibility to drop rare loot, or its own currency to purchase mounts, companions, recipes, etc.

While defiants controlled the zone, the NPCs could not be targeted by the Guardians. Same with artifacts they could only be seen by the faction that was in control.

This would not exclude the PvP haters! While PvPers fight for siege control, quests would opened up that non PvP individuals could run. Heck allow them to help PvPers control the zone without PvPing. They can fight PvE as waves of NPCs attack the siege.

Get crafters involved! They can craft and run supplies to merchants to the siege, all while not being flagged for PvP.

In my opinion you could allow all walks of life to help hold the fort down to keep control. PvPers fighting it out, completing quest contributes to the control, crafting, closing rifts, invasions, etc.

You could in a sense once and for all pull us all together. We all love the game that is a fact, I don't care how much someone complains if they didn't like the over all product they would just drop their subs.

But there are players who get more enjoyment out of PvE over PvP, crafting over closing rifts. This could potentially appeal and pull them all together. Which would allow them to use their own strengths to contribute control over this zone.

You could do a point count system like what is done now in PvP allowing PvP, PvE, Quest, invasions & rifts closed, all contribute. Which I would hope appeal to everyone.

This is the basic idea. Of course there are more points I could narrow down but If I make it to long winded who in the heck is going to read it? =)

And yes RvR has been done before. But honestly it would take a company like Trion to do it this way and do it right imo.
    Warhammer had this, it was totally awesome while it lasted.

They would have to make it lv50 only though, or introduce a way to stop level 50's picking on low levels. You got turned into a chicken in Warhammer.

Rift Disciple

No thanks, they will put arenas.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Munyul View Post
    I agree with adding a RvR zone, but I don't agree allowing players to enter without being PvP flagged.

If it has control points, then the players MUST be flagged as soon as they enter ... otherwise, you would be allowing "groups" of players to move right up to control point without any opposition and then (and only then) flagging themselves for PvP combat. Or did I missunderstand something?
    I think that you can solve this issue by adding 2 litlle thing :
    1) only flagged player can interract with control point (obvious)
    2) When you enter the zone you are asked to get flagged if you don't you will only be able to get flagged in specific area. Which will be far from the control point

With those add i think that it could be very good for bth pvper and pvpeer

Last edited by Bunzy; 02-28-2012 at 04:10 AM.

Default RvR

@Bunzy, nice videos

Those are good examples that oRvR can work in Rift - Trion only needs to correctly support it. The argument to be settled now is what is the "correct" way of doing it? Again, I do not agree with the idea posted above - it has some good ideas, but it also supports PvE which I disagree with - 90% of the game is already PvE, they don't need more!

That's my 2c worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanox View Post
    I would like to eventually have a RvR zone.
    What was it last march or so where they said something along the lines if there is enough interest they might add it. The thread had hundreds of posts and many thousands of views but I guess that wasn't enough support (or the 100 threads that followed about it).
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

Telaran

No time with all the Glass Bead and Wedding coding they had to get to...

Quote Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
    What was it last march or so where they said something along the lines if there is enough interest they might add it. The thread had hundreds of posts and many thousands of views but I guess that wasn't enough support (or the 100 threads that followed about it).
    How i miss the banished vs affinity days!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Munyul View Post
    That way a player had to completely leave a zone to either flag for pvp or unflag.

Munyul I really liked your post. I hope we get to see some RvR at some point.

For the ones who do not like the idea of PvE objectives in their PvP zone, the purpose of allowing PvEers to participate without PvP is to have more of a community effect.

As of now it seems good PvE content comes out and hardcore PvPers feel alienated if some type of changes or content is also not provided for PvP. If Trion was to release RvR without the PvE aspect you would have mass quantities of PvE players hijacking the forums with complaints.

I can assure you more people do not PvP then PvP.

On top of it all to release a zone that touched base with all aspects of people's "fun time" pvp, pve, questing, crafting, etc. would be a zone that is fully populated with all walks of life and give you that warm and fuzzy community feeling =)
    Last edited by Alanox; 02-29-2012 at 08:49 AM.

World pvp success crammed into 1 zone.
    • Create zone with increased prestige rewards for pvping in it.
    • Populate the zone with ward stones that open a pvp dungeon when enough of them are destroyed.
    • Add 1 or 2 roaming zone bosses who drop tokens worth X amount of prestige when turned in.
    • The entrance and exits to this zone need big imposing mile gates to give the player a sense of where their boundaries lie, and when the safety of the guards can no longer save them.
    • Make the zone open to players lvl 40+.
    • Auto flag anyone who enters the zone.
    • Allow pvp rifts to spawn within the zone.

Most importantly of all, at each entry point to the zone have an (optional) NPC that can give the player a "Mercenary" buff which lasts 1 hour and is undispellable. This buff grants you OPEN pvp status meaning you can attack or be attacked by both factions. This allows groups of 5 man teams to roam and actively engage in open pvp.

my 2 cents
    Last edited by Trisian; 02-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread