+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Coming from warcraft

Soulwalker

Default Coming from warcraft

Hello,
    I am moving to rift from warcraft. I am primarily a pvp player and have one big concern.

Most new games have horrible pvp balance, and with all the spec lines and options this game has I would imagine that things ,balance wise, could be completely out of hand.

Did they do a good job creating pvp balance or am i walking into a game filled with one dominant pvp class (usually rogues)

thank you.

Champion of Telara

As objectively as i can put this...

Rift PvP is based around gear progression, at all levels you are almost guaranteed to start out as a whipping boy. It was only at 50 until Trion introduced the lock xp feature which means it has spread to all levels. Basicly, to get anywhere in PvP you have to be prepared to be beaten down for a while.

Any class will tell you some other class is OP, every class will want something another class has nerfing, every class will want a skill they have buffing up because such and such a class has so and so skill. There are builds which are favourites such as Mages running Pyro-Dom, Rogues with Nightblade/Riftstalker etc. There are also some souls for every class which are, at present, utterly terrible and imbalanced such as Sabateur and Beastmaster (so i hear anyways)

The only thing i tend to think is out of balance atm is healing, some of it is simply excessive.

If there is a dominant PvP class i would say its clerics but i havent ranked high enough yet to say if that is a result of the class being over-powered or if its myself as im still learning and still need to improve gear. Sure a Rogue can pop out of stealth and spike some high damage, a Marksman spec rogue has great range damage but there are counters to them you pick up as you learn your class.

So yeah, Rift PvP has its good and bad points but all in all i think its reasonably balanced atm when you compare same rank, same gear levelled toons to each other. Others will no doubt tell you other-wise, the only real way to tell is play the game and decide for yourself because theres more QQ's in these forums than in a scrabble factory....

Why are you leaving world of warcraft?
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Soulwalker

Default leaving warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post
    As objectively as i can put this...

Rift PvP is based around gear progression, at all levels you are almost guaranteed to start out as a whipping boy. It was only at 50 until Trion introduced the lock xp feature which means it has spread to all levels. Basicly, to get anywhere in PvP you have to be prepared to be beaten down for a while.

Any class will tell you some other class is OP, every class will want something another class has nerfing, every class will want a skill they have buffing up because such and such a class has so and so skill. There are builds which are favourites such as Mages running Pyro-Dom, Rogues with Nightblade/Riftstalker etc. There are also some souls for every class which are, at present, utterly terrible and imbalanced such as Sabateur and Beastmaster (so i hear anyways)

The only thing i tend to think is out of balance atm is healing, some of it is simply excessive.

If there is a dominant PvP class i would say its clerics but i havent ranked high enough yet to say if that is a result of the class being over-powered or if its myself as im still learning and still need to improve gear. Sure a Rogue can pop out of stealth and spike some high damage, a Marksman spec rogue has great range damage but there are counters to them you pick up as you learn your class.

So yeah, Rift PvP has its good and bad points but all in all i think its reasonably balanced atm when you compare same rank, same gear levelled toons to each other. Others will no doubt tell you other-wise, the only real way to tell is play the game and decide for yourself because theres more QQ's in these forums than in a scrabble factory....
    I appreciate the solid i nput, i am aware of the gear issue but that is really unavoidable and not an issue, in fact i think being alittle hindered early makes you a better player in the long run

Soulwalker

Default leaving warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Why are you leaving world of warcraft?

I am leaving as they are fighting supposed "cookie-cutter" specs with forced standardization and the removal of spec lines altogether. Th elast expansion was half-assed and thrown together, bereft of the usual quality blizz is famous for. The next expansion is wow meets kung fu panda.

Also blizz is now balancing pvp only around high end 3v3 and 5v5 and to make sure underrepresented specs are going to be present they are throwing buffs around regardless of what effect it has to all other forms of pvp. Dont get me wrong I am a decent arena player 1800+ rating but outside of arena pvp is about to be worse than it has ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoboar View Post
    I appreciate the solid i nput, i am aware of the gear issue but that is really unavoidable and not an issue, in fact i think being alittle hindered early makes you a better player in the long run
    As far as actual class imbalances, it's not too bad at the moment. Some specs do well against some other specs, but that's what keeps life interesting. There's no class/spec that dominates all right now, though, as usual, you'll see a lot of complaints about immortal clerics and pvp being too heal-dependent.

Ascendant

balance is fine..aint nothing to do though. This would be a great game for you though seeing as everything will be new to you. I envy you.

Rogues are OP.

Yeah I said it.

Rift Disciple

Class balance is far less of a concern than gear balance, if you like pvp don't level past 49.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ez Pz View Post
    Class balance is far less of a concern than gear balance, if you like pvp don't level past 49.
    Twinks have corrupted that as well.

OP - if there is a potential conceivable bad move for PvP, Trion will probably try it out. Unfortunately, they don't do it on the test shard, and if by some miracle they do, they seem to ignore a lot of the feedback they get.

The only difference between Scot Hartsman and Greg Street is hair.

Ascendant

Hello,
    I am moving to rift from warcraft. I am primarily a pvp player and have one big concern.
    Why would you want to leave the first, and thus the most difficult MMO?

I am leaving as they are fighting supposed "cookie-cutter" specs with forced standardization and the removal of spec lines altogether. Th elast expansion was half-assed and thrown together, bereft of the usual quality blizz is famous for. The next expansion is wow meets kung fu panda.

Also blizz is now balancing pvp only around high end 3v3 and 5v5 and to make sure underrepresented specs are going to be present they are throwing buffs around regardless of what effect it has to all other forms of pvp. Dont get me wrong I am a decent arena player 1800+ rating but outside of arena pvp is about to be worse than it has ever been.
    1800 rating is not decent, that's actually poor, I was a 2200 rated hunter, and we know hunters were the worst pvp class in that game. Anyway, roll a Mage if you're gonna play this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    Why would you want to leave the first, and thus the most difficult MMO?
    I have a high opinion of you as a pvper. Your trolling skills lack creativity.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Vencenzo View Post
    I have a high opinion of you as a pvper. Your trolling skills lack creativity.
    You can blame Fluent. He has corrupted me.

Prophet of Telara

All the classes have at least some competitive specs, and all characters can have up to 6 specs stored, so all the tools are there to beat almost any nemesis.

Gear isn't really an issue either. Yes, there's a progression but Trion has made it easy for new players to be competitive via the starting and crafted gear they make available. Basically, you can be R30-equivalent within a day or two of hitting 50 if you have the cash to get the right crafted gear & consumables (or immediately if you save your favor from low-level PvP and have cash).

The only real problem with Rift PvP is the lack of depth. Once you hit level 50 and solo queue your first match, you'll have experienced all the PvP Rift has to offer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast