+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: So locked XP? Really?

Soulwalker

Default So locked XP? Really?

Leveling pvp is no longer about skill or teamwork. It is about how many x9's your side happens to have. Both wins and losses are boring now. No real effort either way. Just hope you get more twinks.

I am unclear on why this addition was added to the game? What was the need that was fullfilled?

I wonder if everyone's first post was rage-induced. *ponder*
    Wqrriqr: 207850 Defiants decapitated

Old Videos: PVP1 & PVP2
    0/11 HK 1/1 GW2

Soulwalker

Default Yeah Ummm

Your clever attempt at humor is well received. Regardless it doesn't answer my question. Why?

Mei

It's good that this thread was made... first one on this particular topic.
    Fluent

CPK

Quote Originally Posted by Nythe View Post
    Leveling pvp is no longer about skill or teamwork. It is about how many x9's your side happens to have. Both wins and losses are boring now. No real effort either way. Just hope you get more twinks.

I am unclear on why this addition was added to the game? What was the need that was fullfilled?
    You're implying that low level PvP ever required skill/teamwork...? All I remember is being in a group full of completely incompetent bads mindlessly running around with no clue how objectives or PvP worked.
    Drednaught, Warrior/GM of <The Fallen Sons>
    Haxed, Cleric Alt
    Formerly of Freeholme Shard
    Currently of Seastone Shard

Ascendant

Your clever attempt at humor is well received. Regardless it doesn't answer my question. Why?
    Why did Trion add the xp lock? Because people asked for it, that's why.

PvE people asked for it because they complained that they were leveling out of zones before they had a chance to do everything they wanted to in the zone.

PvP people asked for it because they liked PvP in the leveling brackets but hated it at 50. The reason they hated it at 50 was because it took too long to reach a competitive footing. You can have a character well geared for PvP by the time you're in the middle of a given leveling bracket, and it will take you 3-4 hours to do it. If you want to show up in your leveling greens you can, but there's an awful lot of gear in the game that has been around since launch that has just become easier and easier to get over time.

They're still just fine for leveling. Simply join warfront, face wall, press numlock and come back in 15 minutes.
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Soulwalker

It's the same reason why people enjoy doing warfronts in early game. There is now finally a use to getting good gear early-on. Once you hit 50, there's no going backward, may as well take your time and enjoy devastating people at a lower level and when you hit 50 buy all of your gear at once.

The reason is absolutely right... people asked for it. Luckily getting twink gear isn't too terribly difficult, so chill out and have some fun. XP Freeze was a great idea... PROPS TO TRION!

Quote Originally Posted by CPK View Post
    You're implying that low level PvP ever required skill/teamwork...? All I remember is being in a group full of completely incompetent bads mindlessly running around with no clue how objectives or PvP worked.
    This, exactly. Leveling brackets have never been teamwork or skill because of the number of people that just don't understand the game yet, at all.

In fact, it's a wonder that so many reach far into the level 50 bracket and still play like they're dying to an invasion in silverwood and don't know what a soul mender is.

Ascendant

Edit: double post o.O
    Last edited by Licentia; 02-22-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Prophet of Telara

All the bottom feeders that couldn't dominate in the 50's and can't handle that fact are now settling into the lower level pvp brackets. The fact is that the difference between a super geared x9 vs a standard geared lower level is bigger than the difference between r1 and r40. My decently geared alt in the 40s bracket was getting killed in 2 gcds from geared cleric twinks using Sanction heretic + instant cast bolt of depravity. And pretty much any twinked dps class can get pretty similar results.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    All the bottom feeders that couldn't dominate in the 50's and can't handle that fact are now settling into the lower level pvp brackets. The fact is that the difference between a super geared x9 vs a standard geared lower level is bigger than the difference between r1 and r40. My decently geared alt in the 40s bracket was getting killed in 2 gcds from geared cleric twinks using Sanction heretic + instant cast bolt of depravity. And pretty much any twinked dps class can get pretty similar results.
    Glad to see people are still happy to make things up.

The difference between a well geared x9 and an x0 in quest greens in nowhere near as bad as an r1 vs. r40 by virtue of the simple fact that valor is not an issue. My warrior has just over 5k HP self buffed at 49 with a dps build, which is only about 1k more than an "average" player in that bracket. And my damage output is good, but I melt just as easily as anyone else.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    Glad to see people are still happy to make things up.

The difference between a well geared x9 and an x0 in quest greens in nowhere near as bad as an r1 vs. r40 by virtue of the simple fact that valor is not an issue. My warrior has just over 5k HP self buffed at 49 with a dps build, which is only about 1k more than an "average" player in that bracket. And my damage output is good, but I melt just as easily as anyone else.
    I got hit with an instant cast bolt of depravity that did 2839damage, it also has a built in dot component. I am being hit with Sanction Heretics for 2500 damage which then do the same amount as a dot. Vex ticking for 300s critting for 500. This is on a level 45 with 4600hps. The sanction heretic or vex can pretty much kill me by themselves if I don't get a cleanse or heal.

My main is an R40 mage and I can't do anything like this to people in the 50s bracket unless they come in with blues and then it might start to get close but still nowhere near as ridiculous as this. There is a cleric twink that I have called out for being the exp locked tool that he is and so he guns for me when Im in the wf. If he gets 2 spells off on me I am dead, every single time.
    Last edited by Seether; 02-22-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    I got hit with an instant cast bolt of depravity that did 2839damage, it also has a built in dot component. I am being hit with Sanction Heretics for 2500 damage which then do the same amount as a dot. Vex ticking for 300s critting for 500. This is on a level 45 with 4600hps. The sanction heretic or vex can pretty much kill me by themselves if I don't get a cleanse or heal.

My main is an R40 mage and I can't do anything like this to people in the 50s bracket unless they come in with blues and then it might start to get close but still nowhere near as ridiculous as this. There is a cleric twink that I have called out for being the exp locked tool that he is and so he guns for me when Im in the wf. If he gets 2 spells off on me I am dead, every single time.
    I've encountered at least one cleric like that so far. He's a Guardian, too, and one night he wound up on the Defiant team 3 matches out of 4. We've also got another one that was shredding the LR match I was in a little while ago. They're dangerous, there's no doubt about that. They're also cooldown and proc reliant, which means they're less likely to flatten you if you move in groups. They're also less likely to gun for you if you don't beak off at them.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    I've encountered at least one cleric like that so far. He's a Guardian, too, and one night he wound up on the Defiant team 3 matches out of 4. We've also got another one that was shredding the LR match I was in a little while ago. They're dangerous, there's no doubt about that. They're also cooldown and proc reliant, which means they're less likely to flatten you if you move in groups. They're also less likely to gun for you if you don't beak off at them.
    So I give an example of how it is completely ****ed and you don't acknowledge it at all other than "they are a dangerous target". Good counter. This burst isn't limited to this cleric, very similar levels of burst are possible by any super twinked class. I'm a very experienced pvper with decent gear on my character and I find this extremely annoying. I can't imagine what this is doing for the perception of Rift PvP for new players. You could say that they were going to get blown up at the start of the 50s bracket anyway but at least they had a chance to enjoy their chance of dominance merely by being the high level in the lowere bracket for a short time.
    Last edited by Seether; 02-22-2012 at 10:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast