+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why use macros in PvP?

Soulwalker

Default Why use macros in PvP?

I'm a former WoW Player and used to pvp there and obviously i used macros with specific things like dispels a parter, CC focus, Burst macro with trinckets and CD, etc...

But then I came here in Rift and after reading some guides here in the forum I see macros with attack sequences which in my opinion its not that great since we can't use that specific spell in that specific situation, unless macros work differently here.

My question here is:
    Wouldn't it be better to have every spell in the action bar and use each one when it is specifically necessary?
    If not, why would macros be better?

Well, first of all, just because someone wrote something into a guide doesn't mean that it's the only "right" way to use it. By all means, go ahead and experiment. You might find a better way to do things, or you might discover that the guide writer was right after all.

As for why macros are so popular, it's mostly a matter of convince. Macros can cut down on the number of buttons needed on an action bar and simplify life. A good number of melee pile their highest damage attacks and off-gcd attacks into one (or a small handful) of macros so that they don't have to constantly watch ability timers for a half-dozen of their favorite skills and can instead direct more attention to the battle in front of them.
    Eshlon@Greybriar

I only use macro's for abilities I would, without question or other desire, cast before another ability. Or keys with a similar function that sum up the same cause...few macros I use

ranger spec - quick fire shot macro'd after piercing shot

MM spec - lightning fury macro'd before fan out

sin/rs spec - macro the two damage generating shifts together because I mostly use them for catching up to my target. Of course put the highest damage one first, aoe one second. I don't couple them on my RS spec though because I actually make conscious decisions between the two at times.

sin/bd spec - I macro the two non-gcd procs together to save space. Of course serpent strike first.

RS spec - I combine phantom blow with planar strike. This is the only macro I kind of don't like because phantom blow does less damage than planar strike and the duration of phantom strikes temp is doubled it's CD, so it doesn't *need* to be used everytime it's up but...I figured since I don't load my RS to dps really i'll just keep it to save another hotbar button.

I tried macro'ing 3 abilities together once and it felt too laggy to want to use. Also I ran into trouble when macro'ing things that give more than 1 CP, ie. inefficient CP building and creating excess CPs being tossed around.

It honestly blows my mind though when I see someone put 10 ****ing abilities into a macro and call it a day. Learn to play your class.

As I said in another thread. Bloated macro's are the reason why a rogue I gank casts Anathema on me first before anything. What a joke. Nice macro.
    Last edited by Violacea; 02-20-2012 at 09:11 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

You can't CC in this game's pvp, so playing it boils down to a three button dps race anyway. There's no reason not too.

Yeah it's basically convenience and efficiency, on wow I had 4 max level toons through all the xpacs (finally quit after leveling my toons in Cata for Rift) and since you only have three specs, you end up being able to keybind all your main abilities and don't really have much need for offensive macros alot of the time.

Here in rift though, you end up with an insane amount of spells from the combinations of 8 souls, and alot of spells you want to hit every time they're off CD, so macroing makes it much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Nechuz View Post
    unless macros work differently here.
    Sequential macros work in Rift. Just write a string of abilities and if one doesn't go off the following one will etc etc, OGCD can go at the end and fire off inbetween GCD rotations.

I'm not a fan of macros myself and only used them to learn different souls while leveling up, but they work A LOT differently here than in WoW.

(I think there is an addon in WoW that makes them similar to Rift macros.)
    "You lost me at Balance"

Because people are baddies.
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Because people are baddies.
    Hey now, he was talking about seeing it in guides. Only reason I put macros in guides is to avoid 800 pms later from people that want them. I don't use them myself, but it is common sense on how to write a decent one lol, just some people dont have a whole lot of that =\
    "You lost me at Balance"

Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    Hey now, he was talking about seeing it in guides. Only reason I put macros in guides is to avoid 800 pms later from people that want them. I don't use them myself, but it is common sense on how to write a decent one lol, just some people dont have a whole lot of that =\
    I kinda wish macros were removed from PvP altogether...
    ~Quiescent

I kinda wish macros were removed from PvP altogether...
    I would be super happy, but then people would be begging for un needed nerfs because they are so used to macros, and would have no idea what to do.
    Last edited by Am0n; 02-20-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    "You lost me at Balance"

I would be super happy, but then people would be begging for un needed nerfs because they are so used to macros, and would have no idea what to do.
    I think it'd also allow Trion to scale builds based on effectiveness: ease of use. 51 Ranger might be really easy, but not very effective. 51 Sab might be hard to use, but super effective!
    ~Quiescent

I think it'd also allow Trion to scale builds based on effectiveness: ease of use. 51 Ranger might be really easy, but not very effective. 51 Sab might be hard to use, but super effective!
    I think I'll be done with this game before I get to see such an awesome change LOL
    "You lost me at Balance"

I think I'll be done with this game before I get to see such an awesome change LOL
    They have until GW2...
    SWToR sucks, and Everyone's already played Skyrim into the ground.
    ~Quiescent

They have until GW2...
    SWToR sucks, and Everyone's already played Skyrim into the ground.
    Yup, but press Betas started on the 17th, and reviews are due to go up today, open betas are supposed to start soon, and I believe the release date is scheduled for May, not that far away. Ima hold out until then though.
    "You lost me at Balance"

Hey they started coming out already =D
    http://guildwars.incgamers.com/blog/...nd-impressions
    "You lost me at Balance"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast