+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 39 Warfront Rogue PVP Video

Default 39 Warfront Rogue PVP Video

Hello all,

Here is a video of me solo pvping in the Codex. I got tired of groups doing there own thing so I wanted to switch it up and try to solo as a stealther. (Kinda like DAOC).

My idea was to guard a flag and kill people who would come try to take it back. I picked one (the vault) where there was plenty of places to hide and escape in case the 'zerg' came.

This is my first character and I am by no means an expert at Rift PVP. I locked out at 39 to get faction and some practice before leveling up which I am currently doing now.

The first scene is where I ran across a guildie who happened to be in vent with me. He said whats up and attacked me when I was killing someone (I was a merc that round). I wasnt going to kill him but he kept attacking me. So thats what was going on in the first scene.

Well anyways for those who care, hope you enjoy the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OIOkThGkhs&hd=1 (720P)

Ascendant

Good video, but some tips from one rogue (semi-retired) to another...

No more backpedaling. Strafe onry. You won a lot of those fights because of your gear.

Also...as a melee rogue, never leave that blue orb up. If it appears, you grab it. Every time. All it takes is for someone with a clue to grab it, they're out of range, and you're dead. Even if there's nobody else around, grab it. You're better off with nobody having it during a fight than letting your enemy get it like that one caster almost did at ~6:05.

That warrior you punked repeatedly...he made it a little too easy for you. If, as a rogue, twink or not, you were to go toe-to-toe against my warrior like that, I'd flatten you. You always want to be trying to get to your opponent's back. Not only does this present the opportunity to get a Backstab in, it also prevents them from being able to hit you. Get in the habit of circle strafing around your targets. Not only does it offer strategic benefits, it tends to infuriate the novice PvPers and throw them off their game.
    Last edited by Licentia; 02-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks for the advice. As I said before I am new. Only been playing for a couple weeks. I am used to PVP in DAOC. There was no circling the opponent. Everyone just /stuck. I mean sometimes you could walk through the opponent to make the line of sight miss.

Ill start practicing circling around the opponent. Still trying to get a feel of the game though.
    PVP Balance suggestion. Balance Items/Stats, Skills and Matchmaking.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...p-balance.html

*sigh* I envy your high graphics =(. I wish i could run that high in wfs without lagging.

Btw i watched your video because it wasn't a NB/RS. /claps

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    Good video, but some tips from one rogue (semi-retired) to another...

No more backpedaling. Strafe onry. You won a lot of those fights because of your gear.
    ^ This. With the relatively low skill cap required in this game, what makes a good rogue from a bad rogue are two things:

1) Knowing which spec to use when and understanding the proper rotations. In this game rotations are easy since Trion gives us absurd macro ability.

2) Not standing still and letting people beat on you. You always want to be a moving target and ALWAYS try to attack from behind (especially as a Sin since you get damage bonuses if you strike from behind. You are also less likely to be blocked or parried). This is especially important when facing other melee classes. Face tanking warriors toe-to-toe is almost always a loss if he is equally geared.

Do these two things and you'll be better than 95% of all rogues (most of whom backpeddle, keyboard turn, etc.). I see lots of R40 rogues who still backpeddle and stand still, etc. It's embarrassing.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Shadokin View Post
    Thanks for the advice. As I said before I am new. Only been playing for a couple weeks. I am used to PVP in DAOC. There was no circling the opponent. Everyone just /stuck. I mean sometimes you could walk through the opponent to make the line of sight miss.

Ill start practicing circling around the opponent. Still trying to get a feel of the game though.
    Yup, running through them and spinning works, too. I prefer circle strafing around them because I can change direction randomly, keep the tight circle so I never leave melee range, and make it as hard as possible for them to pin me down. It takes a little practice, but the cool thing is you can practice anywhere. You can pick an NPC in a town somewhere that doesn't have any walls or rocks around them and just strafe around them in circles to get a feel for the basics.

The reason we strafe instead of wlaking backwards is because walking backwards (backpedaling) has you moving at walking speed. Strafing has you moving at running speed. In addition, with a little practice you can strafe away from a target and still have line of sight on them so that you can continue using ranged attacks. You had a few victims in your video that turned their back to you and tried to hop away. Dumb. If they had strafed away, they could have continued to attack you while simultaneously trying to create a gap.

Champion

My p40 would wreck you!!!!11

Thank you for all the positive feedback in ways to improve my play style. As I said before I am still new and learning.

I have been practicing the circle maneuver and it does make a world of difference. I am surprised at how many people actually dont do this. Even when I am missing my combos from lack of practice I still am able to defeat most players. It will be a play style I will use from now on.

And for those who are wondering what my spec was...

39 Assassin/10 Nightblade/ 2 Blade dancer

Primary combo: Stealth -> Jagged Strike -> Impale -> Primal Strike -> Final Blow.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/j090fa.jpg

Rift Disciple

Holding the most important vault to pick on lowbies won all the wf's right? You play the same tactics a long line of fail rogues have followed that give almost no benefit to wf's. Because vault doesn't alone win the wf, but you will sit there and gaurd it like it is the holy grail. Gratz on gearing up and picking on lower geared toons. But no respect for not contributing to the rest of the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by redrox View Post
    Holding the most important vault to pick on lowbies won all the wf's right? You play the same tactics a long line of fail rogues have followed that give almost no benefit to wf's. Because vault doesn't alone win the wf, but you will sit there and gaurd it like it is the holy grail. Gratz on gearing up and picking on lower geared toons. But no respect for not contributing to the rest of the battle.

Think what you will. But yes, all my uber gear I bought with my total 25p ive made through out the whole game made the difference. In fact I only had two pvp favor items. And I got tired of everyone running around doing their own thing and getting rolled. So I decided to take a break and do my own thing. And as for contributing, I held one location while the other fourteen players could take the rest. Which they didnt because nobody works as a team in the newbie warfronts.

PS: Here is the link of the other video I made. Levels 33 - 38 killing people all the same and not just at the vault...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3KteWMxrqs&hd=1

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    In this game rotations are easy since Trion gives us absurd macro ability.
    I'm new to rift but I have a 33 assassin rogue and im finding it to be a pain because I can't write macros the way I want. I came over from WoW (like everyone else it seems) and miss castsequence resets among others. By any chance do you know a good place to get documentation online for rift macros? I googled but found nothing really helpful. All I saw was "Rift allows for castrandoms" basically. I hope its a lot more extensive than that.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSpacePope View Post
    I'm new to rift but I have a 33 assassin rogue and im finding it to be a pain because I can't write macros the way I want. I came over from WoW (like everyone else it seems) and miss castsequence resets among others. By any chance do you know a good place to get documentation online for rift macros? I googled but found nothing really helpful. All I saw was "Rift allows for castrandoms" basically. I hope its a lot more extensive than that.
    No, Rift doesn't allow for castrandoms.

google "Rift macro guide"

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by redrox View Post
    Holding Vault is a fantastic job for an assassin. It provides the equivalent in points of killing 3 players every 10 seconds. Combined with Codex and one other node, it accelerates point gain and allows you to either pull ahead faster with more margin for error later in the match, or catch up faster if you fell behind. If you don't have Codex, holding Vault is an integral part of a strategy to draw the enemy away from Codex and split them up so that you can try to get Codex.

An assassin holding Vault is a wise assassin indeed, and my guess is that you could have picked out several other people in that warfront who contributed significantly less.

+ Reply to Thread