+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I found a viable mage build with NO DOMINATOR in it

Shadowlander

Default I found a viable mage build with NO DOMINATOR in it

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...xcc0uhcqcoz.-5
    Works great in warfronts, and can hold its own in 1v1. Very little casting, which is why I passed up Fiery Concentration; opportunity procs way more often than 10% of the time, plus you get all the wildfire procs and cinder burst procs very often. Get Neddra's Grasp if you want, to me it feels like a waste of a GCD. Also, because searing vitality gets dmg bonus from both pyro and lock, being a fire dot, it gives higher dps than anything from lock will. So definitely keep archon as your 3rd soul.

Here is an example of a common rotation you might use:
    Flame Bolt> Countdown> Searing Vitality> Dark Touch> Stun/Silence/Disarm (It has all 3)> Fireball hardcast (however many you can get away with, heatwave if you want)> Draining Bolt
    (Use Internalize Charge right before you use a Cinder Burst proc and turn it off right after) Also don't forget about Flame Jet, use it whenever they get close (it doesn't have the useless knockback with this build so don't worry about your DRs)

By now flame bolt and countdown are off cd, and you should have full charge, searing vitality is about to wear off. Refresh those. At this time I recommend either CCing again and using withering flames, or popping heatwave and Internalize Charge (if you havn't already). Remember to flicker to a safe distance after CCing before doing this if you are fighting a melee class, and don't forget about the free flicker that comes with heatwave as well. Don't want them to screw with your channel/casts.
    If you are fighting something that is not a rogue, you can probably get away with a Fear + Reconstruct. I say don't bother if you are fighting a warrior either, as lingering wounds will make it not worthwhile. But once you have used both your silence/disarm and stun, fear is actually pretty useful when the next round of DRs comes along. It is nice for putting some distance between you and the target, and you can get a nice fireball out of it if you are out of instant casts and nothing is proccing.
    Another nice little trick is to pop mortality early, for the sole purpose of getting them to interrupt it so that you can use withering flames more easily. I would only do this if you are healing debuffed, because mortality is basically useless if you are. Otherwise I would save it, because it can actually be sort of useful in some situations.

By now I would be very surprised if the enemy is not severely wounded or dead. Inferno is a beast as well. But, by the off chance that the enemy is not dead and you are going to be, you still have Neddra's Essence and Shadow Life (however I recommend using those as a reaction to things the enemy does instead of just when your health gets low).

Just a side note, but this build is by far the very best method of consuming a marksman with maximum efficiency. Seeing as marksmen are the most common thing to encounter in a warfront, I end up using this build a lot, and you probably will too.

P.S. I know Dissb already popularized pyrolock, but the main focus of his version was defile, which is just not that devastating anymore. As of 1.7, this is better. So if you are tired of Dom, or being called fotm for using Dom, I recommend trying this.

Show it 1v1 against a RS rogue.

Shadowlander

Idk about riftstalker but it works pretty well against nightblades. I will try to remember to record next time I find either of those.

Shadowlander

I did some duels with it last night and did OK. Definitely better against things that are not rogues than things that are (by this I mean melee rogues). But I just wanted to point out another viable mage build, not a replacement for chlorodom, our most OP soul combo.
    Last edited by Killamajig; 02-19-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killamajig View Post
    Idk about riftstalker but it works pretty well against nightblades. I will try to remember to record next time I find either of those.
    Next time? All you have to do is press K, press join and voila, just record the first pink bar you see.
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Rift Disciple

no mage can beat decent rogue these days. stop trying

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ieatacid View Post
    It is a good thing that most rogues can't play their class.

I can beat every rogue actually >.>

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Bunzy View Post
    Can you beat a good one in a spec that is not chlorodom? Cause I am tired of it and want to find a new one.

Rift Disciple

sure you can, but you are not playing a mage

sure you can, but you are not playing a mage
    Yes i am.. as a chlorodom

I have only lost to 2 rogues ever.
    since 1.7 i haven't lost.

Shadowlander

Yes i am.. as a chlorodom

I have only lost to 2 rogues ever.
    since 1.7 i haven't lost.
    Which rogues were they? Oh, and do you use the 3 in pyro for no pushback, or archon as 3rd soul?
    Last edited by Killamajig; 02-19-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Which rogues were they? Oh, and do you use the 3 in pyro for no pushback, or archon as 3rd soul?
    are you talking about my pyrolock build? I have archon as the third soul with 0 points in it. I don't have any points in that no pushback.

They were Aeart and Silent (Am0n)
    Last edited by Bunzy; 02-19-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Mei

are you talking about my pyrolock build? I have archon as the third soul with 0 points in it. I don't have any points in that no pushback.

They were Aeart and Silent (Am0n)
    you missed someone

in fact, i still have two screenshots :P
    Last edited by Mei; 02-19-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    Fluent

Rift Master

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...xcc0uhcqcoz.-5
    Works great in warfronts, and can hold its own in 1v1. Very little casting, which is why I passed up Fiery Concentration; opportunity procs way more often than 10% of the time, plus you get all the wildfire procs and cinder burst procs very often. Get Neddra's Grasp if you want, to me it feels like a waste of a GCD. Also, because searing vitality gets dmg bonus from both pyro and lock, being a fire dot, it gives higher dps than anything from lock will. So definitely keep archon as your 3rd soul.

Here is an example of a common rotation you might use:
    Flame Bolt> Countdown> Searing Vitality> Dark Touch> Stun/Silence/Disarm (It has all 3)> Fireball hardcast (however many you can get away with, heatwave if you want)> Draining Bolt
    (Use Internalize Charge right before you use a Cinder Burst proc and turn it off right after) Also don't forget about Flame Jet, use it whenever they get close (it doesn't have the useless knockback with this build so don't worry about your DRs)

By now flame bolt and countdown are off cd, and you should have full charge, searing vitality is about to wear off. Refresh those. At this time I recommend either CCing again and using withering flames, or popping heatwave and Internalize Charge (if you havn't already). Remember to flicker to a safe distance after CCing before doing this if you are fighting a melee class, and don't forget about the free flicker that comes with heatwave as well. Don't want them to screw with your channel/casts.
    If you are fighting something that is not a rogue, you can probably get away with a Fear + Reconstruct. I say don't bother if you are fighting a warrior either, as lingering wounds will make it not worthwhile. But once you have used both your silence/disarm and stun, fear is actually pretty useful when the next round of DRs comes along. It is nice for putting some distance between you and the target, and you can get a nice fireball out of it if you are out of instant casts and nothing is proccing.
    Another nice little trick is to pop mortality early, for the sole purpose of getting them to interrupt it so that you can use withering flames more easily. I would only do this if you are healing debuffed, because mortality is basically useless if you are. Otherwise I would save it, because it can actually be sort of useful in some situations.

By now I would be very surprised if the enemy is not severely wounded or dead. Inferno is a beast as well. But, by the off chance that the enemy is not dead and you are going to be, you still have Neddra's Essence and Shadow Life (however I recommend using those as a reaction to things the enemy does instead of just when your health gets low).

Just a side note, but this build is by far the very best method of consuming a marksman with maximum efficiency. Seeing as marksmen are the most common thing to encounter in a warfront, I end up using this build a lot, and you probably will too.

P.S. I know Dissb already popularized pyrolock, but the main focus of his version was defile, which is just not that devastating anymore. As of 1.7, this is better. So if you are tired of Dom, or being called fotm for using Dom, I recommend trying this.

OK! Ive been using a simular build (wich is faar superior and i will explain why just bare with me) for some warfronts and come to like it but.

In your build you specced points into 5%more crit wich is usless beacouse you have buring fury from Pyro, also you specced into Dark fury and that one is pretty much useless to thx to the PvP PA reduceing. You didn't include Firestorm wich this build benefits alot from, aswell not improved glyphs of power wich means you do 5%less dmg and take 5%dmg (thats bad). You specced Pyromancer armor wich is not good either beacouse you have 10% opportunity chanse passive from Walock so when going into Pyromancer armor you get -5% firedmg to your spells even here. Speccing into fire shield is also useless beacouse it wont "save any lifes" so you wasted even more points there.

Here's the right one and the one i play.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...xcc0uucVccz.-5

*Good things about the build: It hits much harder then Pyro/Dom, and the survivability is decent with all cd up and your AoE is pretty good.

Bad things:

*It's to CD dependant heat wave, Neddras essence, shaddow life you name it...

*Spellcasting is to slow (Trion should really lower the cast time on fireball to 1 sec talented)

*You have to stand behind a wall of warriors and clerics to survive beacouse if a rogue target you theres nothing you can do to protect yourself when your CDs are down.

But i would mostly say that the Spellcasting time on Fireball is the thing that makes the build not good enough and thats why Pyro/Dom is superior beacouse you lower your casting speed with it wich is the biggest problem mages have when speccing into Pyro outside of beeing squishy and dieing fast.

Even nice you found a build u thought worked out for ya, iam happy you atleast trying to play outside of Pyro/Dom but these days Pyro/Dom is really all it is to mages iam afraid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast