+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Matchmaking by rank and Mercs is still messed up.

Rift Chaser

Default Matchmaking by rank and Mercs is still messed up.

Anyone else find it silly to be a Defiant mercenary playing for the Guardians fighting Guardian mercenaries playing for the Defiants? I also find the match making to be fubar still when the game puts high ranked players, mercs included, all on one team resulting in a complete roll match. Just an example in some games Defiants will be hopelessly outmatched with low ranked players against high ranked guards. The only high ranked defiants are mercenaries playing for the guardians.

Trion has a lot of improvement left to do in their match making and mercenary system.

Being a mercenary is fun for me.
    I don't understand why so many people get their panties in a knot over it.
    ~Quiescent

Rift Chaser

The code to fix the match making by rank can't be that difficult. All you have to do is add up the rank of each player as they are added to a team. This adds up to a rank total for the teams. Keep adding players keeping the rank total for each team to be +/- 10 drawing form the Q pool until the teams fill up. Simple.

Add merc(s) when there is a shortage of defiants or guardians to start the match. At NO time should the game add a R40 defiant to the guardian team and put a R40 guardian on the defiant team.

Champion

Default What?

Quote Originally Posted by Zarbane View Post
    At NO time should the game add a R40 defiant to the guardian team and put a R40 guardian on the defiant team.
    Your logic makes absolutely zero sense. So if Defiants have 4 R40s in the match, and Guardians have zero R40s, yet there are still R40s in the Defiant queue, they should not be assigned to the Guardian team? Your logic escapes me...

Also, I'm an R40 Guardian... you're saying I should never Merc?
    Last edited by Bhrawn; 02-18-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Zarbane View Post
    At NO time should the game add a R40 defiant to the guardian team AND put a R40 guardian on the defiant team.
    for emphasis

In other words, you should (if possible) always play for your own side.

I don't really care about the Merc stuff. I'd just like the matching to be better. Though I have been in a match where a Merc healer took off all his gear for some reason. I found it rather amusing since he died a lot, and we won anyway.

Ascendant

It's unfortunate that such a simple system confuses so many people.

If you've got Guardians on the Defiant side and Defiants on the Guardian side, it means that when the match started their weren't enough people to fill both teams. Period. Add total Guardians and Defiants in the queue together at the time the match started and it was enough to meet or exceed the match minimum requirements, but not enough to fill both teams.

Now in comes a Defiant to the queue AFTER the starting teams are already decided and when both teams have even numbers. He is put on the Defiant side.

Now in comes ANOTHER Defiant to the queue. Normally he would go on the Defiant side, but because the Defiant side already has one player more than the Guardians, he gets put on the Guardian side.

Now in comes a Guardian into the queue. He gets put on the Guardian side.

Now incomes ANOTHER Guardian into the queue. Normally he would go on the Guardian side, but because the Guardians already have one more player than the Defiants, he gets put on the Defiant side. The system isn't going to pull the Defiant from the Guardian team and say, "Okay, we don't need you to be a merc anymore so back you go."

It's not complicated, people, but you have to get it through your head that matches don't always start with full teams, and believe it or not, sometimes the system IS filling teams as the match progresses with individuals who trickle into the queue. No, there are not 10000 people in the queue for the system to choose from at any given time.

The system is working fine, but your brain has to work just as well to understand it.
    Last edited by Licentia; 02-18-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Being a mercenary is fun for me.
    I don't understand why so many people get their panties in a knot over it.
    Fortunately, it is not necessary for you to understand why I don't like being forced to play as a merc, I only hope you understand that it is sucking the joy out of pvp for me and that I would appreciate having an option to opt out so that I can enjoy pvp as much as you do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    It's unfortunate that such a simple system confuses so many people.

If you've got Guardians on the Defiant side and Defiants on the Guardian side, it means that when the match started their weren't enough people to fill both teams. Period. Add total Guardians and Defiants in the queue together at the time the match started and it was enough to meet or exceed the match minimum requirements, but not enough to fill both teams.

Now in comes a Defiant to the queue AFTER the starting teams are already decided and when both teams have even numbers. He is put on the Defiant side.

Now in comes ANOTHER Defiant to the queue. Normally he would go on the Defiant side, but because the Defiant side already has one player more than the Guardians, he gets put on the Guardian side.

Now in comes a Guardian into the queue. He gets put on the Guardian side.

Now incomes ANOTHER Guardian into the queue. Normally he would go on the Guardian side, but because the Guardians already have one more player than the Defiants, he gets put on the Defiant side. The system isn't going to pull the Defiant from the Guardian team and say, "Okay, we don't need you to be a merc anymore so back you go."

It's not complicated, people, but you have to get it through your head that matches don't always start with full teams, and believe it or not, sometimes the system IS filling teams as the match progresses with individuals who trickle into the queue. No, there are not 10000 people in the queue for the system to choose from at any given time.

The system is working fine, but your brain has to work just as well to understand it.
    I think you're making this a bit more complicated than it really is. As far as I can tell, it's more a matter of "fill the teams, regardless of what faction you're on".

I've zoned into a WF starting area with up to a minute and a half on the pregame timer (i.e. before the match starts) and have seen mercs on my team. I've also been assigned as a merc under the same circumstances.

I believe the system is prioritizing speed over accuracy in this case. There might be some prioritization going on in regards to faction coherency in a match, but it seems like getting the teams filled as quickly as possible is very high on the list of priorities as well.

Not that I'm saying this is inherently bad or anything. The goal of the merc system is to fill the WF's as fast as possible, after all.
    Last edited by Meina; 02-19-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Rift Disciple

I always used to rage quit in Unreal tournament when I got stuck on the red team. Reds suck, go blue!

+ Reply to Thread