+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Zaros
  • 1 Post By Appendy

Thread: A PSA for Whitefall Steppes

Default A PSA for Whitefall Steppes

Innumerable times I have gotten the question/comment:

The other team is winning! Why should we have anyone on defense?

Since in a Warfront, I usually don't have the time to explain this (or if I do, I just get yelled at because communication is apparently for losers), I'd like to take the time to explain this now.

When your entire team is occupied in a 15-man Zerg up the middle, you have no way of monitoring any other site in the Warfront. If the other team has even half-competent people, a 15v14 match will last quite a while--and as long as your team is in a giant ball of death, a single enemy can simply walk around your team, travel to your base, and yoink your flag.

It doesnt matter! We'll get them on the way back!

That's a good effort, Timmy, but you're making unnecessarily big problems for yourself. If you let a Rogue grab the flag, they're absolutely gone. You need to prevent the problem before it happens--otherwise, that problem, if dealt with unsuccessfully, will come back and bite you in the butt. And you'll lose, to a derpy rank 15 that waltzed into your base, and took your flag because no one was on freaking defense.

When you have no one on defense, the worst of players can become the biggest of problems. I can't even begin to tell you how many rounds I've lost because we were down 0-1, I went to grab the flag, ran it back to our base solo, and as soon as I get inside the base, a party of 2 or 3 randoms--people who, when DPSing or healing in a Zerg, would make little to no impact--strolled in and grabbed our flag. Where was my team? Fighting in the middle, of course. The rest of the round results in the enemies turtling for 15 long, painful minutes. You don't want that, do you?

You can't score if you're on defense, noob!

Defense != turtling. You don't need 10 people. You don't even need three. Hell, even one competent defender will make a massive difference.

It's like insurance. Sure, you might not crash your car. Sure, your house might not burn down. Sure, your whole family might not get murdered--but if they do, you wouldn't want your entire life ruined because of it.

So play defense.
    ~Quiescent

Prophet of Telara

I was defending in Twin Peaks which is essentially the same thing and my team was farming them at their spawn. I ended up with half the honor the rest of them had. I don't know why I just told you that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Rogues are completly fine to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro
    please stop qq about nerfs because i promise if u keep it up rift will shut down because they have no subribers and we will have wasted our money on a failed game simply because everyone was acting like little kids because they couldnt faceroll anyone and it actually took effort to kill them

Quote Originally Posted by Digits View Post
    I was defending in Twin Peaks which is essentially the same thing and my team was farming them at their spawn. I ended up with half the honor the rest of them had. I don't know why I just told you that.
    The favor system in rift works different than WoW
    ~Quiescent

Not everyone started playing capture the flag when they were 8
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    The favor system in rift works different than WoW
    I know, that match painfully reminded me of that fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Rogues are completly fine to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro
    please stop qq about nerfs because i promise if u keep it up rift will shut down because they have no subribers and we will have wasted our money on a failed game simply because everyone was acting like little kids because they couldnt faceroll anyone and it actually took effort to kill them

The problem is who should play defense.
    I think rogues should since they have the most utility, but most rather dps (*stares*) and in rare occurances, steal flags.

Clerics should either be healing or in the case of escalation, running flags from the middle or preventing flag capturing (assuming no Mage is present). A cleric on defence is useless IMO.

Same goes for warriors. Although at this point I don't know what role a non vk warrior plays (well, the average non vk warrior, good ones are pretty beast) I'm not too sure if they are the best defenders. Probably because my poor warrior is still level 17.

Mages can defend, but I don't think they are better defenders than rogues. They, IMO, play a much better role as a sniper/protector of runners and capture blockers.

So it all comes back to rogues for WFS, who end up playing dps, instead of defending.

D:

Quote Originally Posted by Digits View Post
    I was defending in Twin Peaks which is essentially the same thing
    Defending in Twin Peaks is pretty scary. The owls are not what they seem, so I hear.

I always mentally facepalm when I'm strolling through my base after respawning and see the blue ball just sitting there, with no effort made on the part of my team to take it.

Because if you're going to leave your base defenseless, at least leave the enemy the blue ball so that they can escape with your flag easily...!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Innumerable times I have gotten the question/comment:

The other team is winning! Why should we have anyone on defense?

Since in a Warfront, I usually don't have the time to explain this (or if I do, I just get yelled at because communication is apparently for losers), I'd like to take the time to explain this now.

When your entire team is occupied in a 15-man Zerg up the middle, you have no way of monitoring any other site in the Warfront. If the other team has even half-competent people, a 15v14 match will last quite a while--and as long as your team is in a giant ball of death, a single enemy can simply walk around your team, travel to your base, and yoink your flag.

It doesnt matter! We'll get them on the way back!

That's a good effort, Timmy, but you're making unnecessarily big problems for yourself. If you let a Rogue grab the flag, they're absolutely gone. You need to prevent the problem before it happens--otherwise, that problem, if dealt with unsuccessfully, will come back and bite you in the butt. And you'll lose, to a derpy rank 15 that waltzed into your base, and took your flag because no one was on freaking defense.

When you have no one on defense, the worst of players can become the biggest of problems. I can't even begin to tell you how many rounds I've lost because we were down 0-1, I went to grab the flag, ran it back to our base solo, and as soon as I get inside the base, a party of 2 or 3 randoms--people who, when DPSing or healing in a Zerg, would make little to no impact--strolled in and grabbed our flag. Where was my team? Fighting in the middle, of course. The rest of the round results in the enemies turtling for 15 long, painful minutes. You don't want that, do you?

You can't score if you're on defense, noob!

Defense != turtling. You don't need 10 people. You don't even need three. Hell, even one competent defender will make a massive difference.

It's like insurance. Sure, you might not crash your car. Sure, your house might not burn down. Sure, your whole family might not get murdered--but if they do, you wouldn't want your entire life ruined because of it.

So play defense.
    LOL Zaros, i played with you 10 games of whitefall yesterday, all ended up a big ball of mess in the middle (i dont care i enjoy blowing people up on my pyro more then caring for the score in escalation) but handsdown you and work@millrush won the games by stealing the shards.

One thing you forgot, putting mages or clerics only in defense doesnt work. you need a riftblade or a rogue. I managed to take the shard (on my vk /pally whitefall stone tank spec) while 2 mages and a cleric were on my back. if it was a rogue or riftblade wouldn't have happened.

stealth and bard.

Ascendant

There's a line I think between adequate defense and inadequate offense, and it's situational and requires thought and understanding which is why most people don't seem to get it.

This is inadequate offense. Note in this image that we are down by two points and not a single Guardian player is even outside our own base. Note also that I am at the GY because I died while trying to run a stone as the only Guardian playing to win. Frankly, if my team can't play smart, I'd rather have them play offense and lose quickly when the enemy grabs and runs our stone three times than have them turtle like in that screenshot and force a 20 minute loss.

+ Reply to Thread