+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Let us choose whether or not to queue as a merc

Rift Chaser

Default Let us choose whether or not to queue as a merc

not giving us a choice was the dumbest thing you've ever done Trion.

merc system is a good idea - IF WE HAVE A CHOICE.

absolutely stupid night of queues tonight all because of the merc system

GIVE US A GOD DAMN CHOICE

No option to opt-out, Just add the option to leave within some long after joining a warfront if you're a merc.

Without taking the debuff*
    Last edited by Robes; 02-16-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

No opt out

just face it, it doesn't matter what team you're on its PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    No opt out

just face it, it doesn't matter what team you're on its PvP
    i won't heal defiants
    you're down one by having me on your team as a merc, let someone that wants it take the spot

No... if a choice is provided then this will be abused because I can see it now - premades that will go as mercs and make sure that sides lose while their guild buddies or friends win. Then they will take turns so both groups get max favor and rewards.

Leave it random so we dont know which side we end up fighting.

Besides pvp = red is dead.

Don't believe me - okay.. run in front of them and I am sure your own faction will attack you. I am happy that I don't have to wait so long anymore for WF. So I am happy so far that the only place I get a chance to kill on both sides at WF.
    Drank at Conqueronline, Vanguard, AOC, WAR and AION. Currently collecting meh Beers at Rift! aka (Killforbeers)
    WHERE'S MEH BEERS !!
    Here meh 2 cents - Keep da change ya filthy animal...
    Nice day fer Murda

Quote Originally Posted by Killforbeer View Post
    No... if a choice is provided then this will be abused because I can see it now - premades that will go as mercs and make sure that sides lose while their guild buddies or friends win. Then they will take turns so both groups get max favor and rewards.
    this has been covered more times than i can count
    the option to leave pops after you're in the wf

Not to sound like a mod, or anything, but...

We've already had a very lengthy discussion about this in this thread >> http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...kind-suck.html

It's 35 pages long, but don't panic, you only have to read the last 5 or 6 pages to get the gist of what has been proposed.

Champion of Telara

And in case you haven't got the message by this post.....

NO

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Killforbeer View Post
    youre grasping at straws. that statement makes no logical sense whatsoever.

give us the option to queue "as regular team OR merc" = aka same as it is currently on live
    OR
    "as regular team only"

that system COULD NOT be abused unless you're going to try to tell me that our current system can be abused as well, in which case i'd ask why you're defending the current system.

NOT GIVING US AN *OPTION* TO STOP QUEUEING AS MERC IS STUPID

*cue Matrix impression of Mr. Anderson while being interrogated*

How about. I give you the finger. */birdflip* And you give me my mandatory merc system. And then I laugh at you as you QQ about not being able to sync.

Honestly, WAY more players are thrilled at being able to PK their own faction than at letting their faction's side win. PvP is PvP, it's not like you're actually murdering them IRL.
    Last edited by Slic; 02-16-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Okay, I guess no one is going to go through the trouble of reading the other thread (not that I blame you, that's a lotta reading.), so here is the proposal in a nutshell...

This is what we've come up with to solve our problems...

1) There will be no default "I don't want to be a merc" option. Everything happens within the queue system.

2) Everyone queues up for WF's just as they do now.

3) Once the WF invites go out, anyone chosen to be a merc will be notified in the invite.

4) On the invite screen, if you are chosen as a merc, there will be new button that allows you to opt out of that battle, effectively allowing you to avoid being a merc.

5) If you choose to opt out, you are removed from the current battle roster and placed back in queue for the next available WF that does not require you to be a merc.

Pros:
    1) Premades are still borked because the way you initially queue has not changed from what it is now.
    2) People wishing to avoid being a merc will be able to do so.
    3) Unless a massive number of people consistently opt out of mercing, the "I want red vs blue" crowd should not be negatively effected in any way. In fact, anyone opting out will immediately open a slot for anyone who is willing to play a merc, possibly lowering queue times for those willing to merc.

If a massive number of people do start opting out on a regular basis, then the votes are in, the majority has spoken and the merc system was not what the "most" people wanted. It'll be up to Trion to decide what to do at that point.

4) Queue times for those who are willing to take part in the merc system could potentially experience faster queues. Anyone deciding not to be a merc for a given battle will open up a space for those that are willing / want to be mercs for that battle, meaning they would move up in queue and could catch the current battle instead of waiting for the next..

Cons:
    1) People choosing to opt out of mercing will have slightly longer queue times because they forfeit their spot in the current queue if they choose to opt out.

In short, nothing changes in regards to premades. Nothing changes in regards to the people who want to enjoy the merc system. The only thing that does change is that, by making the proposed change, Trion has made more of it's player base happy.

People who want to play as a merc = happy
    People who want to screw over premades = happy
    People who do not want to play as a merc = happy.
    Last edited by Meina; 02-16-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    Okay, I guess no one is going to go through the trouble of reading the other thread (not that I blame you, that's a lotta reading.), so here is the proposal in a nutshell...

This is what we've come up with to solve our problems...

1) There will be no default "I don't want to be a merc" option. Everything happens within the queue system.

2) Everyone queues up for WF's just as they do now.

3) Once the WF invites go out, anyone chosen to be a merc will be notified in the invite.

4) On the invite screen, if you are chosen as a merc, there will be new button that allows you to opt out of that battle, effectively allowing you to avoid being a merc.

5) If you choose to opt out, you are removed from the current battle roster and placed back in queue for the next available WF that does not require you to be a merc.

Pros:
    1) Premades are still borked because the way you initially queue has not changed from what it is now.
    2) People wishing to avoid being a merc will be able to do so.
    3) Unless a massive number of people consistently opt out of mercing, the "I want red vs blue" crowd should not be negatively effected in any way. In fact, anyone opting out will immediately open a slot for anyone who is willing to play a merc, possibly lowering queue times for those willing to merc.

If a massive number of people do start opting out on a regular basis, then the votes are in, the majority has spoken and the merc system was not what the "most" people wanted. It'll be up to Trion to decide what to do at that point.

4) Queue times for those who are willing to take part in the merc system could potentially experience faster queues. Anyone deciding not to be a merc for a given battle will open up a space for those that are willing / want to be mercs for that battle, meaning they would move up in queue and could catch the current battle instead of waiting for the next..

Cons:
    1) People choosing to opt out of mercing will have slightly longer queue times because they forfeit their spot in the current queue if they choose to opt out.

In short, nothing changes in regards to premades. Nothing changes in regards to the people who want to enjoy the merc system. The only thing that does change is that, by making the proposed change, Trion has made more of it's player base happy.

People who want to play as a merc = happy
    People who want to screw over premades = happy
    People who do not want to play as a merc = happy.
    Except that premades aren't sync queuing anymore because they don't have to in order to get fast pops, so you could probably stand to drop any reference to premades from your spiel.

So it boils down to more a case of people who don't want to play as mercs are happy because they don't have to, and people who just want fast queue times like we have now might remain happy or they might get screwed.

You can't say that people who want to merc will get faster queue times. You can't say that giving people the option to opt out won't hurt the queue times of the people who are willing to be mercs. And you can't say that people are going to opt out for reasons that make sense and that justifies the consequences of their decision on the gameplay experience as a whole.

People can want all the choice in the world. At the end of the day it would be nice if they could rationalize why they'd be willing to screw over a much improved system beyond, "I don't want to be a merc D:<"

I can tell you straight up that in the leveling brackets in the last two wargroups I've been in, nobody wants to play as a Guardian. Guardians don't even want to play as Guardians anymore. You think Defiants are going to be willing to go in as mercs when they know they've got a twink premade rolling on their side? Hell no.

In the words of my main man ghandolf the ghey (i did that on purpose)

YOU SHALL NOT OPT OUT
    it is not enough these days to question authority, you gotta speak with it too

It's such a shame that there's so many whiny idiots that ruin MMOs for the rest of us.

MEDICINE MAY TASTE BAD, BUT IT STOPS YOU DYING, KTHX.
    "If the young are not initiated into the Village, they will burn it down just to feel it's warmth"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast