+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: "Oh ya?!?! Have you ever won a match without Codex?!?"

Ascendant

Default "Oh ya?!?! Have you ever won a match without Codex?!?"

Why yes, yes I have. Let me show you.

This came after a particularly frustrating afternoon in the 20-29 bracket with the usual Codex commander (not to be confused with Codex Commando) demanding that everyone rush Codex. "Get Codex and Statue and defend!! It's the easiest way to win!!"

Which I think is hilarious in a tragic sort of way, because every time they tried to do it the "easiest" way, we lost. So go figure.

But then I get merced in a match and spend my time rolling flags and flattening all the people who had been driving me bonkers up to that point today. So, SO gratifying.
    Last edited by Licentia; 02-12-2012 at 04:50 PM.

I'm used to think that this thread has a SS with codex uncap by any side
    until I click on it with my knee.
    Yawn you think this is special? I think it happen like 1-3 times every 10 matches
    Deepstrike:Gintoki cleric r47 Shinpachi warrior r46, Kayura rogue r50, Tsukuyo mage r47
    Laethys: Roba r44
    GW2:Ayo Timako , level 54 Necro

Everyone with a simple understanding of math realizes you technically don't need codex. But man, only winning by 100 and having to primarily hold 3 different spots. Kinda feels like swinging with 2 bats, don't it?

Although a team that can only hold codex and constantly loses all 3 is no more fail than a team who loses cause all they cap is vault and [insert one near your faction spawn].

I still like the screenshot where I won Codex 999 - 1000 and we had only scope capped for the winning point
    Last edited by Violacea; 02-12-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Everyone with a simple understanding of math realizes you technically don't need codex. But man, only winning by 100 and having to primarily hold 3 different spots. Kinda feels like swinging with 2 bats, don't it?

Although a team that can only hold codex and constantly loses all 3 is no more fail than a team who loses cause all they cap is vault and [insert one near your faction spawn].

I still like the screenshot where I won Codex 999 - 1000 and we had only scope capped for the winning point
    We had Codex briefly from time to time throughout the match. The point is that we didn't send rez wave after rez wave to Codex. When we lost Codex, we cycled the other nodes. I'd say that overall, Guardians controlled Codex considerably more than we did, but we gained and preserved a lead because we didn't treat Codex and Scope like the only flags worth trying to take and hold.

People still bother doing the objectives in WFs?
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Quote Originally Posted by Robes View Post
    People still bother doing the objectives in WFs?
    I dunno, I usually stand in the middle of the pond screaming 1v1 me noobs.
    Look at your post, now back to mine, now back to your post, now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine, but if you stopped being nonconstructive and dumb and started posting about something that makes sense, it could look like it's mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a page with the post your post could look like. Anything is possible when you post like me, and not like an idiot. I'm on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by PVStar View Post
    Signed in specifically to like this post, because it made me lol. Hard.

Your friendly hipster.
    http://rainygameslol.tumblr.com/

Prophet of Telara

I doubt the people that need to learn this read forums, but thanks for the tip anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Rogues are completly fine to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro
    please stop qq about nerfs because i promise if u keep it up rift will shut down because they have no subribers and we will have wasted our money on a failed game simply because everyone was acting like little kids because they couldnt faceroll anyone and it actually took effort to kill them

I like the Codex meta strat, nothing makes me happier than watching a big rez group at Statue split up and have half go dex, half go stat, and me jump down and cap statue behind them.

Winning codex is basically about not letting people hold flags unchallenged... take advantage of weaknesses, of which there statistically always must be some.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds View Post
    I like the Codex meta strat, nothing makes me happier than watching a big rez group at Statue split up and have half go dex, half go stat, and me jump down and cap statue behind them.

Winning codex is basically about not letting people hold flags unchallenged... take advantage of weaknesses, of which there statistically always must be some.
    Bleedz, I really respect and like you as a player, that being said stop giving away the single most gratifying thing I do in Codex. But I prefer to run all the way up to Dex and just hop down the ledge right in front of them, shockingly no one ever follows
    it is not enough these days to question authority, you gotta speak with it too

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    Why yes, yes I have. Let me show you.

This came after a particularly frustrating afternoon in the 20-29 bracket with the usual Codex commander (not to be confused with Codex Commando) demanding that everyone rush Codex. "Get Codex and Statue and defend!! It's the easiest way to win!!"

Which I think is hilarious in a tragic sort of way, because every time they tried to do it the "easiest" way, we lost. So go figure.

But then I get merced in a match and spend my time rolling flags and flattening all the people who had been driving me bonkers up to that point today. So, SO gratifying.
    This is why I like the merc system. Thrashing the idiots I usually work with is unbelievably enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Ascendant

Had another match with a sharp team and took screenshots as soon as I realized what was happening because for some reason my PC doesn't like the in-game video recorder.

Here we go again.

Cycling the nodes and holding. Very mobile group. Full credit to the Guardians today. They were definitely on the ball.

Me after a suicide fear bomb -> assault on Codex. I held them off for about 10 seconds, which shorted them about 10 points or so. When they've got an awfully beefy warrior tank with a pocket healer and two mages, sometimes you have to take what you can get.

The one and only time we held Codex all match. Didn't last long, either. Notice the score in the screenshot and the notice in my chat log that we had captured Codex...

Now notice the score and the timer on the Codex flag. Gives you an idea of how long we actually had Codex, but at this point we're up by a nearly insurmountable margin. About the only way to win now would be to four-cap us, which wasn't going to happen the way our team was moving from node to node. No zergballs here. We had one group (usually 5-6 people) harassing the Defiant between Scope and their GY and the rest of us were shifting around as needed.

And the outcome. Because you can't win without Codex, or so I'm told. The reality is that the defenders at Codex would have been an extraordinarily tough nut to crack and keep cracked. Instead of crying at the GY about whatever lame excuses people wanted to come up with, our entire team cycled the field and played to win. It was one of the more entertaining matches I've played in Codex in a long time because of the fluidity. Single-minded "win the zerg or lose the match" approaches to warfronts get really old after a while.
    Last edited by Licentia; 02-13-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Had to copy this to my signature, as it totally cracked me up.

Thanks for good laughs mate!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    Codex + 1 and a rogue tagging their other two flags is easier to win than 3 flags. Not that it guarantees a win, just that's it's easier. If their whole team just stands around at codex while you take all three points then yeah, sure. As soon as they get distraught and spread out, you go back to your home flag + dex defend. That's the fun of codex, the mix of ever changing strategies.

Of course it's possible to win without Codex.

It's just a stupid strategy.

You are choosing to try and defend 3 flags, isolated from one another, rather than defend 2 flags that you can easily maneuver between.

Knowing that 3+3+3 > 5+3 does not make you a tactical genius.

Understanding that you can hold 2 flags while keeping your force together is better than holding 3 flags with your force divided and isolated 3 ways is about as basic as it gets for tactical understanding.

If you win without Codex, it is more a reflection of a bad opponent, than your good play.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast