Closed Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: Mercenaries kind of suck...

Well, I am going to choose to remain hopeful that ***** and turds will filter their way out of the WF punchbowl and have a little fun with the fact that they can go up against their friends in battle for a few minutes.

Some of my fellow Guardians hit harder than I thought, which is sucky and awesome all at the same time.

Soulwalker

Players serious about faction pride in these warfronts?

Once I enter a warfront all I can think about is kill whatever is red and help with objectives. Maybe if you are serious RP'er I can understand but for others this shouldn't even be a issue.
    Last edited by Astralrider; 02-01-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Plane Touched

please don't roll this to the European servers
    I can see the thinking behind it, instant action, but there are a few lines which should not be crossed for the sake of the game in the long run... this opportunity for grief will lower the tone / lessen the quality of the experience for many, even if griefers are in the minoriity..

ANY kind of griefing in warfronts is a major issue (think of people's reaction to AFKers) this will be just worse now that it's happening. As people pointed out Whitefall Flag carriers who refuse to do a turn in, or people suiciding for favour...

Incidentally stopping premades queuing together ruined the social aspect also. It used to be fantastic rolling with a few like minded good players and encouraged people to skill up to get a good group going.. it's starting to feel more anonymous than a FPS game..

All this is IMHO, having played pre and post various changes.

Telaran

Oh, PvP'ers are usually a quite selfish bunch, in the good way. So they'd want the favor to get better gear and prestige for higher rank. If somebody is really stupid enough to waste 20 minutes of their time on deliberatly screwing up the warfront and their own progress instead of getting TO KILL THEIR GUILDIES AND PEOPLE FROM THEIR SERVER LEGITIMATLY. Then I don't know. :-) That's the pinnacle of a good time.

Besides from that.. it can't get worse than with the pretend-not-to-be-afk'ers and people standing at the graveyard.

Incidentally stopping premades queuing together ruined the social aspect also. It used to be fantastic rolling with a few like minded good players and encouraged people to skill up to get a good group going.. it's starting to feel more anonymous than a FPS game..
    This. A thousand times over this. One of the reasons many players left WoW is the direct result of Blizzard eroding the community.

Quote Originally Posted by styl View Post
    Groups are all mercenaries or not. Groups are not split apart.

If you were, by a chance, trying to game the system by joining individually and not as a premade, you may be split up. I suspect this side effect is not incidental but quite intentional by Trion.

Eh, I think its kinda interesting, And I kinda enjoy getting placed on the other faction's team. My thoughts to it are "Lets see what you guys can do" and I killed my own guildies :3 you gotta remember idiots ruin everything and always will, no point in whining about it.

General of Telara

I logged into Faeblight earlier and some people were complaining about mercenaries. They didn't want Guardian mercs leaking out strategies and tactics to the other side.

After someone got done with the obligatory "What tactics/strategy" troll/joke question I asked a few more pertinent questions.

#1 Who would actually share such things with mercs? You can set up chat channels, right?

#2 Who would invite a merc onto their Ventrilo server? You'd have to be kind of stupid to do so if you ask me.

#3 What makes you think that people who primarily play Guardians don't have a few Defiant alts already to leak PvP information out? You see that sort of thing all the time in EVE Online. It's well within the realm of plausibility that it would happen in Rift.

#4 If you don't trust mercs why aren't you using premade teams to avoid having them?

For this topic I point to #4. Instead of complaining about mercenaries being total trolls or idiots why not put the MM part of MMORPG to work, create groups of players on your server who can be slotted into, and form pre-made raids for warfronts?

Heck, someone brought up faction loyalty in the complaints about spies/leaks and I almost LOL'd. Faction loyalty? Whatever factio you're on you wake up, get told you were raised from the dead to fight again, and get told to go fight or die trying again. You're already effectively a mercenary and neither faction does anything to make you feel indebted to them.

That leaves personal loyalty, and if that's an issue with you just remember it's been an issue with mercs for millenia. Some don't care about the who, just the how much, while some have morals and scruples. Don't attack the people you like if you don't want to, but don't let that hold you back from killing that schmuck on your server who makes 50 chat sound like Barrens chat. /shrugs.

Frankly though, I for one plan on taking advantage of this while it lasts. I fully intend to pretend to be another one of these moron mercs, lure members of "my" faction in, and help whoever's team I'm on blow the piss out of them. I'm there to break things and kill people, not screw around, not play favorites, and most certainly not to pretend that either side matters a damn in the grand scheme of the lore. If people are playing moron games in warfronts and it helps me get an edge over the other side you can be damn sure I'll take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by styl View Post
    please don't roll this to the European servers
    I can see the thinking behind it, instant action, but there are a few lines which should not be crossed for the sake of the game in the long run... this opportunity for grief will lower the tone / lessen the quality of the experience for many, even if griefers are in the minoriity..

ANY kind of griefing in warfronts is a major issue (think of people's reaction to AFKers) this will be just worse now that it's happening. As people pointed out Whitefall Flag carriers who refuse to do a turn in, or people suiciding for favour...

All this is IMHO, having played pre and post various changes.
    I think the only mistake Trion made is not introducing this sooner.

I'm also starting to think the only people that are complaining about the change are the ones that won't be guaranteed getting into a match with the rest of their pre-made, by sync queueing.
    Only change I would make is to change it from Defiiant vs Guardian to Oranges vs Apples or whatever.

You zone in. You are in a TEAM. Play to win or don't bother queueing at all IN MY OPINION.

Are people actually aware you can have toons on both sides? OMG SIMPLY SCANDALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Charlice; 02-01-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Default Then i need to say, YOU ARE NOT SMART BRO !

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    I think the only mistake Trion made is not introducing this sooner.

I'm also starting to think the only people that are complaining about the change are the ones that won't be guaranteed getting into a match with the rest of their pre-made, by sync queueing.
    Only change I would make is to change it from Defiiant vs Guardian to Oranges vs Apples or whatever.

You zone in. You are in a TEAM. Play to win or don't bother queueing at all IN MY OPINION.

Are people actually aware you can have toons on both sides? OMG SIMPLY SCANDALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Trion dogs wana serve us how is that simple and how easy to understand! You have a team you in blah blah blah....PVP is not about gear but that option can destroy rest good on Rift for PvPers and you will see its happened... look into PVP PA ..its absolutely silly imho, its same like Vindicator soul, soul for nothing only break free lol. Btw you need warfronts to get a gear only option to get pvp gear and ONLY PVP IN THAT BAD GAME! On servers without ppl you cant have pvp in open world and on PVE servers you cant attack them if they dont wana be attacked... simple. You take with mercs last option for nice PVP ...END!
    Last edited by Sonic Rain Boom; 02-01-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Language

If this change has stopped the count in exploiters, I am for it.

Now honest premade groups can queue again.

Default orly ?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvain View Post
    If this change has stopped the count in exploiters, I am for it.

Now honest premade groups can queue again.
    Seriously? What mean "honest premade groups" and who is "exploiters" lol ... i am dreaming

Quote Originally Posted by Edany View Post
    Perhaps ya'll just didn't think this one through. I mean, at first I thought this might be a great idea to alleviate the queue times myself. All of that changed when I got into my first few WFs with the merc's you threw in there.

I know you were trying to be helpful in implementing this, but understand, having "team mates" that do nothing but cheer for their "home" team, berate their assigned team members in chat, and then refuse to do anything but stand around buffing themselves to avoid the afk penalty or better yet, deliberately farm themselves out isn't really that helpful at all. It isn't really fun to run a Whitefall when the merc grabs the flag but refuses to cap it so they can deliberately cause a team to lose or at least not win. It's great having 2 healers in a library who brag about being the top healers (normally, for their own team that is), and then refuse to do any healing at all for the team they're put in. Etc. Etc.

This is going on with both sides, and it really tends to shatter whatever small tiny modicum of teamwork that anyone can put together in a PUG. Just an observation that this perhaps wasn't the greatest idea.

Please rethink this.

Sincerely,

Ed.

Hmm, that sounds like what half the trolls on my own faction did anyway in warfronts, nothing much changed there, except queue times are shorter. D**ks will be d**ks, and if it wasn't a member of the opposing faction it would be one of your own. Welcome to the internet.
    Last edited by Sonneillon; 02-01-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    Snugglebunny - <NAS> - P40 Warrior
    BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sonnei - <NAS> - P40 Mage [Semi-Retired]
    Sonneillon - <NAS> - P40 Rogue [RETIRED]

Default Thats all?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
    Hmm, that sounds like what half the trolls on my own faction did anyway in warfronts, nothing much changed there, except queue times are shorter. D**ks will be d**ks, and if it wasn't a member of the opposing faction it would be one of your own. Welcome to the internet.
    And thats really all we can do? I can go play chess, its even more pvp there as here and even without hours and hours farming for gear i can use it only in warfronts and fight my ppl LOL!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zoam View Post
    dont pvp if you dont like it

Just because they implement a change that distracts from pvp, isn't going to change that I enjoy pvp.... even though I don't like the merc system. maybe if they made it optional, that it would make a difference... but your attitude is childish and irritating

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast