+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New PvP content in 1.7?

Default New PvP content in 1.7?

Is it just me, or does Rift's PvP seriously need a fresh shot in the arm? Same tired group of WFs, been locked at R8 forever, nothing new to build on aside from PA, which is a pretty cool system btw, but we need something fresh for PvP imho.

Only one new WF since launch is lame. I'd have lots of WFs but only rotate in a max of 3 for good que pop times. A pure deathmatch PvP WF would be nice too, not all of us are into the objectives.

World PvP is always out of balance since each shard tends to be faction heavy, naturally, it's this way in any MMO with PvP servers. My solution, simple, create cross shard, continuous Realm vs. Realm zones where each faction fights to maintain control of keeps, battlefield objectives, etc.

Hopefully we'll see something new for 1.7......anything....

My impression is that the escalation modes, while not as much new content as a new WF, offer some variety of play, but yeah, would be nice to see a new WF or more interesting open-world stuff.

I haven't followed development in other MMOs closely, so I have no idea whether one new WF in 9 months is good or bad.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

New ranks will come when the new raid unlocks. Which will probably be 1.7, or 1.7.1/2/3. They probably have new warfronts to go with the new raid, like how they added library around HK.

Ascendant

Why do you need "new content"?

Last I checked, the other team was the "content" much like raid bosses are most of a raid's content.

As the team is always new, you're always facing new content.
    Last edited by Hunt55511; 01-04-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Maza the Mage <Damaged PvPness>
    Not playing a warrior anymore because it's boring.
    11/11 HK | 4/4 ROTP | 0/8 ID

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt55511 View Post

Last I checked, the other team was the "content" much like raid bosses are most of a raid's content.

Because they will need something to complain about when they burn up the content in a couple of weeks
    Strive for Peace with acts of war
    The beauty of death we all adore
    I have no faith distracting me
    I know why your prayers will never be answered

PvP seems to lack a bit in Rift and something big/innovative is surely welcome. Not just more ranks and a new wf thrown in IMO. I know the develops are capable the question is whether or not the priority is there.

Soulwalker

Unfortunately Rift's PVP has followed the same trend as most recent MMO's where they advertise PVP, promise PVP, so you buy the game to play this awesome PVP experience and realize its tacked on again.

So you tell yourself its new and that they are actively working on serious PVP content and improvements. You continue to keep paying the subscription. You continue to keep the gear up to par for when they do add this content.

Months and patches click by, nothing of any real significance gets put in, but the community manager and development team keep throwing out little nuggets here and there about how they are serious about PVP content.

Then like myself and I'm sure countless others we get tired of the "PVP content is coming game.", so we go find the latest MMO with the "PVP Content Promise" and rinse and repeat.

Edit Addition.

I also forgot to mention the entire time having to listen to people say "Its not a PVP Game." Then why the hell did they advertise PVP then?
    Last edited by Knightmare6; 01-04-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt55511 View Post

Good argument, but we're so used to some kind of progression, that without it, game feels stale tbh.

I loved jumping in Library for the first time, grinding a new WF all weekend. New content also draws peeps back to the game, so it's a no brainer that Trion should pump out new PvP content...simple.

Rift Chaser

We do indeed need more PvP content. There are so many ideas floating around, and so many people who enjoy PvP in this game. The people who QQ that this game was not made to have PvP, or the PvP was a final thought - that's just not true. At the very least, that's not how it feels. This game has good quality PvP.

At the same time, there are a LOT of people who are just plain bad at PvPing, many of whom don't want to admit it, or are just oblivious to the fact that they are not good. These people come on the forums and QQ constantly about how this game's PvP sucks and everything is unbalanced because they can't stand there and 1v20 all enemy players.

With a bit more tinkering with balance every once in a while, and more PvP content - other than just warfronts and more ranks to grind, this game's PvP would be even better.

IMO, RIFT would benefit from some sort of ranked PvP, as well as some sort of full faction V faction pvp war, and some way to do free-for-all PvP. Hell, even a warfront won solely by kills is very welcome.

As someone else in this thread said, the developers in this game are fully capable of coming up with great ideas and implementing them. The problem is priority.
    Last edited by TimeBomb; 01-04-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Do away with the ranks. Do away with different ranks of gear and make the current top gear the base pvp gear. Gear progression and competition simply don't mix. Add a pvp section to planar attunement. The PA can offer very minor stat increases. But nothing so drastic that it would require separating players, such as how they have to now by ranks. So you increase the pvp player base, reduce queue times, and make pvp more about pvp.

If they feel the need to provide a carrot on a stick they can add runes that you can purchase. Again they'd only provide a very slight upgrade to stats. That way players can feel like they're progressing without creating a huge gap between veterans and newcomers.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Acesfool View Post
    Do away with the ranks. Do away with different ranks of gear and make the current top gear the base pvp gear.

Gear progression and competition simply don't mix.

Add a pvp section to planar attunement.
    ...What? So gear progression doesn't mix with PvP but grinding for EXP/PA does? No no no.
    Progression, whether it be gear or EXP, mixes with PvP when the game is a PvEvP MMORPG. This has been shown time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Acesfool
    The PA can offer very minor stat increases. But nothing so drastic that it would require separating players, such as how they have to now by ranks. So you increase the pvp player base, reduce queue times, and make pvp more about pvp.

If they feel the need to provide a carrot on a stick they can add runes that you can purchase. Again they'd only provide a very slight upgrade to stats. That way players can feel like they're progressing without creating a huge gap between veterans and newcomers.
    It sounds like you want this game to be something it is not. There is a separate gear progression for PvE and PvP for a reason. While I will agree that it may not be the best way to go about what they were/are trying to do, it is what it is and they can't change something so substantial. It would essentially be a new game.

While I don't believe removing gear progression from PvP at this state of the game is feasible, I do think that they can, at the very least, not make it worse by adding even more prestige ranks. We need more content for PvP, not more useless long grinds.
    Last edited by TimeBomb; 01-04-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare6 View Post
    Unfortunately Rift's PVP has followed the same trend as most recent MMO's where they advertise PVP, promise PVP, so you buy the game to play this awesome PVP experience and realize its tacked on again.

So you tell yourself its new and that they are actively working on serious PVP content and improvements. You continue to keep paying the subscription. You continue to keep the gear up to par for when they do add this content.

Months and patches click by, nothing of any real significance gets put in, but the community manager and development team keep throwing out little nuggets here and there about how they are serious about PVP content.

Then like myself and I'm sure countless others we get tired of the "PVP content is coming game.", so we go find the latest MMO with the "PVP Content Promise" and rinse and repeat.

Edit Addition.

I also forgot to mention the entire time having to listen to people say "Its not a PVP Game." Then why the hell did they advertise PVP then?
    Agreed, I was in one awsome pvp guild 6-7 months ago and we had alot of fun with a great deal of worthy oponents, it's only me left now but I still am having alot more fun here than I had in Swtor - ugh !

One of my best game memorries was when we had 2 premades running at the same time and we faced those Russian premades in our brackage, damn that was alot of fun.

But like you say most pvper's have left due to little to no content, the hardcore guys had rank 8 gear within 2weeks after it got released and more and more of the talented oponents left.

It's a real shame because I really like Rift's combat and it had and still have such a potentional of beeing a awsome pvp game, though just like for the pve-players the pvp-players need something to strive for, arenas, rated bg's, meaningful world pvp etc.... I think most mmorgp-players need something to strive for, a goal, that one item with 2% more stats that takes you weeks or months to farm, I for one would still be grinding that one item ;p

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBomb View Post
    ...What? So gear progression doesn't mix with PvP but grinding for EXP/PA does? No no no.
    Progression, whether it be gear or EXP, mixes with PvP when the game is a PvEvP MMORPG. This has been shown time and time again.
    Not what I said. I said gear progression and COMPETITION don't mix. Why? Because when you have rank 8 players against rank 1 players it's no competition. So they're forced to separate the ranks which leads to longer queue times. Which again reduces competition. With very slight stat increases they could pull everyone together and increase the player pool.

It sounds like you want this game to be something it is not. There is a separate gear progression for PvE and PvP for a reason. While I will agree that it may not be the best way to go about what they were/are trying to do, it is what it is and they can't change something so substantial. It would essentially be a new game.
    PVP gear would still be pvp gear and pve gear would still be pve gear. They'd just have to make sure it's never a good idea to use pve gear in pvp which I guess is what valor is for. And yes, I'd like Rift to do something totally different and bold with their pvp model. Instead of following the same old gear grind model used by so many other games.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBomb View Post
    We do indeed need more PvP content. There are so many ideas floating around, and so many people who enjoy PvP in this game. The people who QQ that this game was not made to have PvP, or the PvP was a final thought - that's just not true. At the very least, that's not how it feels. This game has good quality PvP.

At the same time, there are a LOT of people who are just plain bad at PvPing, many of whom don't want to admit it, or are just oblivious to the fact that they are not good. These people come on the forums and QQ constantly about how this game's PvP sucks and everything is unbalanced because they can't stand there and 1v20 all enemy players.

With a bit more tinkering with balance every once in a while, and more PvP content - other than just warfronts and more ranks to grind, this game's PvP would be even better.

IMO, RIFT would benefit from some sort of ranked PvP, as well as some sort of full faction V faction pvp war, and some way to do free-for-all PvP. Hell, even a warfront won solely by kills is very welcome.

As someone else in this thread said, the developers in this game are fully capable of coming up with great ideas and implementing them. The problem is priority.
    You are just cretin my little friend but is ok . The problems about pvp dont come always from nubs that are not good at pvp, in fact ,as a hardcore pvp gamer i can spot easy when something is wrong and inba,and yeah,i feedback allot of things that were changed and balanced, from flame spear op warrior skill ,kelary racials (even i was defiant) ,to the insane block chance on pve tanks or sab nuke power.

To sum it up what rift need is content of course ,like new rewards ,new wf modes and maps but most , balance is need ,and of course the pvp gear/weapons need a buff.
    Last edited by Cyborg; 01-04-2012 at 05:31 PM.

If they do add new prestige levels I will be interested to see how they handle the 1-8 grind. I pvp casually and I'm rank 3.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast