+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lag Macro

Shadowlander

Default Lag Macro

I wanted to share some of my pvp experiences this weekend and see what the general consensus is.

Basically I participated in about 14 warfronts this weekend. A majority of those matches had a certain guardian opponent who was a level 40 rogue from the Wolfsbane group. I heard several teammates complain repeatedly that this person was using a "lag macro". I did notice that he was harder to kill than you would think someone of his level and skill would be....sometimes escaping 3 or 4 people ganged up on him. I went 1v1 with him a couple times and I would notice 3 to 5 second pauses where it seemed my character would do nothing against him.

I guess I am curious about whether or not this "lag macro" really exists or is he just a really good player. Can I be doing anything to prove and report it if so and how? It seems something like this could really be game breaking if it gets around, so thanks for any help.

Idk about a "lag macro", but i've sure as heck seen peeps use "lag switches". Does the guy seem to teleport? or does he just sit there while you do nothing while smashing buttons? It's easy to catch a lag switch in FPS's due to you being able to see everyones connection go red for a split second..but on a MMO...it's really hard sometimes.

Of course, rogues are pretty damn survivable these days...with Guard Phase+Side Steps+(insert random Defensive CD)..you can tank a LOT of people. So it might just be a defense-spec'd rogue.
    Lasthope - Cleric
    Newhope - Salty Healing Mage Re-roll
    <Ready Check>
    Prime Progress: GSB 5/5 RoS 4/4 RotP 4/4

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Valavus View Post
    Does the guy seem to teleport? or does he just sit there while you do nothing while smashing buttons?.
    I did not notice any unnatural blinking, tho he is specced into Riftstalker. What I did notice is that going though my normal rotation of mostly instant abilities (I am also a rogue) my character would pause, almost like I was casting a long 3-5 sec spell while his just sat there and took no damage. This did not happen with anyone else or at any other time during the weekend.

I've usually been pretty skeptical when people whine about cheats thinking they are just sore at being beat, but the complaints from several different people, plus my own odd experience with a low level player for that bracket made me wonder if in fact there was something shady going on.

Soulwalker

Yeah, I noticed the same thing in a couple Warfronts I was in on the Wolfsbane server, I smell a hack!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiada View Post
    I did not notice any unnatural blinking, tho he is specced into Riftstalker. What I did notice is that going though my normal rotation of mostly instant abilities (I am also a rogue) my character would pause, almost like I was casting a long 3-5 sec spell while his just sat there and took no damage. This did not happen with anyone else or at any other time during the weekend.

I've usually been pretty skeptical when people whine about cheats thinking they are just sore at being beat, but the complaints from several different people, plus my own odd experience with a low level player for that bracket made me wonder if in fact there was something shady going on.
    To the best of my knowledge, a lag macro or lag switch cannot do what you describe.

A lag macro would only effect the person using the macro. What a lag macro does is flood the connection between the client and the server with useless data (i.e. create artificial lag), causing macro user's character to act in an erratic fashion. (example: the character seem stall in one spot on the server while it is actually in motion on the client computer, then suddenly character appear somewhere else once the server and the client sync up again).

Seeing as the macro user can only effect his own connection to the server and has no control over your connection to the server, the macro user cannot effect your character like you describe.

Not so say that the person you're talking about wasn't hacking in some way, but chances he was not using a lag macro or a lag switch. Either way, if you feel the person was cheating some how, put in a ticket on him and let the GM's sort it out.

+ Reply to Thread