+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Is anyone actually "happy" with the current Diminishing Returns?

Default Is anyone actually "happy" with the current Diminishing Returns?

With the talk of more competative pvp Im just wondering if this is how everyone wants it?

Noone Ive spoken too says anything good about the DR in this game.

But furthermore why are the consumables that exsisted pre-DR still in game mocking the whole system?

the current DR system blows. and the consumables make it event hat much more laughable. DR needs seperated into better sub-catergorys then balanced.
    Now known as Menthol of galena.
    my spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...uhcV.xxoAksqxk
    Wolfsbane =worst shard.

Ascendant

I'm fine with the current DR system. Usually when you see someone complaining about it, they're complaining because they got an immune message when they tried to CC someone. What they're not thinking about is what it does to their experience when they get chain CC'd to death.

I'm not opposed to adjustments to the current DR system in principle, but what I don't want to see is a return to anything even close to what group PvP was like at launch.

Pretty happy with how it works currently. Only main gripe I have is the immunity break free provides - 5s is an eternity of immunity to CC when used. While I LOVE it when it's on me, it's miserable seeing that buff pop up on someone else, especially when I'm trying to use CC to get AWAY from them.

Not sure it would be feasible or not, but almost think break free should not provide any immunity at all when used. The diminishing returns of 2 CC types per "duration" combined with 5s immunity from break free just seems to feel like it's too much protection from CC types.
    But at least we can get married now!
    I'll be fishing in Codex...
    Nobodi - R8 Mage Defiant Deepwood
    Somebodi - 19 Rogue Guardian Deepwood (twink wannabe)

My only complaint is "oh look, I'm a squirrel. Oh look, I'm still a squirrel. Oh, what do you know, I'm a squirrel again."

That's the only CC that really rubs me the wrong way. I dunno if multiple people are squirreling me or if some certain mage just REALLY doesn't like me.
    4/4 FT 5/5 EE 4/4 GA 3/3 IG
    All HMs Cleared, FT & EE Conq

Im content, especially since we have a piss poor consumable system here, rendering key alternatives to overstep some CC, useless (im silenced so i cant use a heal pot? Because i need to talk to drink).

Not to mention the 2min timer on many of the consumables (run pots, reflect pots, bubble pots).

Until those are made not useless, the CC system would have to stay because in most situations, you are sitting duck when BF is on CD and you arent running a defensive build.

Ascendant

IMHO cc is quite well balanced right now. It levelled out very nicely after some initial problems. Compared to that other game just started, where cc seems to be hell on earth, i think cc in rift is really on the point, not to much not to less.

I think it's fine at the moment, however there is def. something ****ed up wtih Squirells int his game.

If DR was reduced, I think stormcallers would make me headbutt my monitor...every move they do basically slows you down....being a melee against that would yeah, be messed up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Eggo View Post
    With the talk of more competative pvp Im just wondering if this is how everyone wants it?

But furthermore why are the consumables that exsisted pre-DR still in game mocking the whole system?
    very happy. Now it needs some of those op'd dom abiklities being subject to dr too

I didn't read the thread, but snares should probably come off of DR. I don't play any soul with useful snares at the moment, but I wouldn't mind picking up the shaman again some day.

Banned

problem is all the mages and clerics wanting snares to be useful as escape tools don't realise all the mdps that hunt them have snares too.....

Well guess clerics don't mind as they're so overpowered they can ignore 3 or 4 mdps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
    I didn't read the thread, but snares should probably come off of DR. I don't play any soul with useful snares at the moment, but I wouldn't mind picking up the shaman again some day.
    Inquisitor has a spammable, instant snare. Not like they particularly need one though, as they are ranged >.> Those pesky melee people find ways to catch up to me even if I snare/knockback them off of cliffs and whatnot.
    4/4 FT 5/5 EE 4/4 GA 3/3 IG
    All HMs Cleared, FT & EE Conq

Quote Originally Posted by Chanalia View Post
    Inquisitor has a spammable, instant snare. Not like they particularly need one though, as they are ranged >.> Those pesky melee people find ways to catch up to me even if I snare/knockback them off of cliffs and whatnot.
    I didn't even have it hotkeyed until recently. The snare is only 30% and they'll just port to you anyway so why give them immunity, was my thinking.

I use once in a blue moon now to prevent people from escaping before the KB.

Telaran

Default More Improvements needed

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Eggo View Post

I can definitely say there is still room for DR's and CC's to evolve and improve. I was here at launch and saw how the initial balancing attempt of cc's/dr's, and while that re-working did make things better, it isnt the best it could be yet. I think there is plenty of room for the dev's to continue to revisit this area until its reaches its best possible balance for pvp situations/wf's.

The 'immunity' I see often of course applies to us all and is intended 'in theory' to prevent people being spammed with chains of cc's to be rendered useless and relegated to being a ragdoll plaything unable to fight back/defend yourself. Yes, Breakfree offers a solution, but its not enough. Its only situationally useful due to its cd(even with points in it to reduce the cd), by comparrison to how many and how often you can still be affected by cc's. Even though there is at least one other option we do have within our own skill trees that can help( i.e. 'Flicker' etc. depending on your class/soul build), even with breakfree, does not still offer the best overall solution in terms of ratio of cc's and the dr's and skill relaint abilities to defend yourself.

Now that being said, despite cc/dr improvements and with the 'immunity' that is supposed to take effect, I and others still manage to struggle seeing that actual benefit of the current balancing as we still can be subjected to a chain of stun, silence, squirrel and more. And we cant do anything but sit there and watch our toon be destroyed. Breakfree is on cd from the last barrage of effects avalanching from the entire opposing team just seconds ago, and 'Flicker' or your equivalent soul skill is on cd, and we can still be chained to the point of inability to fight back or defend myself at the least.

The mere interruption of my cast of my ability should be enough to break the advantage. I could 'choose' to go on the defensive while trying to at least 'attempt' to position myself into offensive mode or whatever I think needs to be done in that moment. I think and feel strategy and player skill is at a great disadvantage in Rift pvp when you leave key combat reactions to RNG and a singular soul skill and/or Breakfree dependancy as you dont get to control your toons defensive reactions.

I think in a pvp situation cc's should act very differently and on different timers/cd's than would be in a pve situation. For example, in Runes of Magic they place all cc effects on different cd-timers/durations/dr's for pvp vs. pve - the skills react intuitively based on the situation. So youre not at a disadvantage for your pve content nor an unfair advantage in pvp.

Ultimately I think what I am pointing toward is a true action combat feel, and thats just not what Rift pvp is or was ever intended to be. I think it would be a God send to have your reactive abilities be left to your own personal player skill in how you more your toon strategically as Tera boasts to be, and not left to button skills tied to RNG where the control is taken away from you. CC's have been a problem since the dawn of mmo's - some just never got it right, some got close, some are still trying.

At 2012 I think imo its high time and long overdue for a gaming company to FINALLY get it right.

Soulwalker

I think the DR system is quite bad currently, They should divide the diffrent forms of cc alot more.

Currently I think CC in this game is a non-factor and I think trion likes it that way because it makes for an alot easier playstyle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast