+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Habitat
  • 1 Post By Liii

Thread: How to make Open World PVP have meaning and purpose for end game.

Default How to make Open World PVP have meaning and purpose for end game.

Ideas for having a successful Open World PVP endgame in RIFT.

1. The ideas below should apply to all current zones for players 10 – 50 (Not Warfronts)
    2. Players outside of the level range for the zone cannot participate in PVP activities for that zone.
    a. This would eliminate killing lowbies.
    b. This also allows for level appropriate PVP.
    3. In each zone make a portion, or portions of the zone controllable by either Guardian, or Defiant.
    a. To control the zone a control point must be captured and defended.
    b. The control point would be a heavily faction guarded tower, well spring, or outpost.
    c. The control points would give a slight advantage to the defending faction.
    d. If a player participates in any way for capturing, or defending a control point they will be flagged for PVP for 5 minutes.
    4. The controlling faction would have access to the following
    a. Unique merchants that sell one of a kind items for both PVP and PVE . This could be potions, gear, marks, recipes, etc.
    b. Controlling faction gets a 5% damage, or healing increase in that zone only. This would apply to both PVP and PVE and would include dungeons in that zone as well.
    c. There are other variations to the above, for instance 5% increase in loot chance from Rifts and dungeons in that zone.
    d. Access to unique titles, rifts, and other PVE content. This will make PVP a little more enticing to PVE’ers.
    5. The faction with the most controlled zones also has access to unique rewards in their capital city.

Please add to this list or provide constructive criticism only please.
    Last edited by Habitat; 12-30-2011 at 12:37 PM.
    Habitat - Mage - Guardian - Faeblight

Default I guess my ideas are either spot on, or no one really cares to make an effort

It is pathetic how many QQ threads there are and how many responses they get.
    I guess it goes to show that it is much easier to complain than it is to form valid concrete ideas.

Ideas may sound good, but they won't work in the RvR-based game. Faction disparity is already present on some servers(in fact, I never heard about server without such disparity).
    Control of zones is good and stuff, but... only if you have FFA pvp.
    Look through all this qq threads on server forums, look through qq threads regarding "side x is roflstomping" in this forum and you'll understand what I'm saying about.
    Last edited by Skyfoxy; 12-30-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Default What is FFA PVP?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfoxy View Post
    Ideas may sound good, but they won't work in the RvR-based game. Faction disparity is already present on some servers(in fact, I never heard about server without such disparity).
    Control of zones is good and stuff, but... only if you have FFA pvp.
    Look through all this qq threads on server forums, look through qq threads regarding "side x is roflstomping" in this forum and you'll understand what I'm saying about.
    What is FFA pvp?

What is FFA pvp?
    This is abbreviation of term "free-for-all". Long story short, no guardians and defiants, just your party\raid and supposed enemy. Temporary alliances and stuff.

Soulwalker

Default sort of like DAOC?

for a simple answer to pvp just look at games that were known for there great pvp like DAOC and since all the games like wow and rift are different versions along the same theme so just take the pvp from DAOC snag the housing system from SWG and keep the dungeon system from RIFT result a game that would have it all pretty much as for the crafting system there are several good ones out there.

Default Yes - much like DAOC

Quote Originally Posted by Liii View Post
    for a simple answer to pvp just look at games that were known for there great pvp like DAOC and since all the games like wow and rift are different versions along the same theme so just take the pvp from DAOC snag the housing system from SWG and keep the dungeon system from RIFT result a game that would have it all pretty much as for the crafting system there are several good ones out there.
    Yes I am thinking very much along the lines of what DAOC has for open world pvp.
    If you want good pvp Trion, follow DAOCs model for open world pvp.

As has been stated, population imbalances would be a big problem.

I remember reading not too long ago about a server where one faction never bothered to leave their capitol city because doing so was a waste of time. The other faction outnumbered them by such a large margin that, as soon as they left the safety of the city, they'd get ganked by the 'bad guys' waiting outside the walls.

Anything remotely like WPvP would have to be instanced (I know, technically not 'World" PvP) or gated, like Blizz did with Wintergrasp and Tol Barad. If for nothing else, just to keep the sides even.

Overall, your ideas are good, but they would have to placed in an instanced or gated zone. Otherwise you're just handing out freebies to the faction with the higher numbers.

As for DAoC, that system worked because it had 3 factions. If one faction hard an advantage in numbers, the other 2 could gang up on it to beat it down (This seems to be the model GW2 will follow, btw).

Default Possibly add a 3rd faction or have diminishing returns for heavily favored faction

I think adding a 3rd faction would help in balancing. How to implement this would be tricky, since many players have characters already at P8 and fully geared.

Going back to what I stated at the beginning of the thread I would like to add another idea....
    Since RIFT is dynamic, I think the OPvP could be dynamic as well. The number of players per faction and level could determine the objectives and rewards that are active at any given moment. If one faction was heavily favored on a server, they would have a type of diminishing returns for any OPvP objectives, bonuses, rewards, control point defensive capabilities, etc. The underdog faction would get a boost in all areas I just mentioned. This would entice people to join the underdog faction.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Habitat View Post
    Ideas for having a successful Open World PVP endgame in RIFT.

1. The ideas below should apply to all current zones for players 10 – 50 (Not Warfronts)
    2. Players outside of the level range for the zone cannot participate in PVP activities for that zone.
    a. This would eliminate killing lowbies.
    b. This also allows for level appropriate PVP.
    3. In each zone make a portion, or portions of the zone controllable by either Guardian, or Defiant.
    a. To control the zone a control point must be captured and defended.
    b. The control point would be a heavily faction guarded tower, well spring, or outpost.
    c. The control points would give a slight advantage to the defending faction.
    d. If a player participates in any way for capturing, or defending a control point they will be flagged for PVP for 5 minutes.
    4. The controlling faction would have access to the following
    a. Unique merchants that sell one of a kind items for both PVP and PVE . This could be potions, gear, marks, recipes, etc.
    b. Controlling faction gets a 5% damage, or healing increase in that zone only. This would apply to both PVP and PVE and would include dungeons in that zone as well.
    c. There are other variations to the above, for instance 5% increase in loot chance from Rifts and dungeons in that zone.
    d. Access to unique titles, rifts, and other PVE content. This will make PVP a little more enticing to PVE’ers.
    5. The faction with the most controlled zones also has access to unique rewards in their capital city.

Please add to this list or provide constructive criticism only please.
    How would this address population imbalance?

Presuming the stronger side took the objective and got their 5% damage/healing buff and the defenders advantage; how would the already weaker side overcome these further disadvantages?

Why should lowbie zone control, in which level 50 players can not participate, have any impact on the level 50 rewards in the main city?

@3rd faction, How exactly would that work? Would whole guilds be required to switch to the third faction? Would you have to relevel? Would we be able to switch back to defiants or guardians? Could I go defiant -> 3rd faction -> guardian?

All of these things cause problems and I'm not convinced any of these would do anything to spur world pvp. I think people would fight over them for about 3 days and then people would stop caring again.

Quote Originally Posted by Liii View Post
    I approve of this message
    Soak R7 Cleric
    0/11 Hammersmell

+ Reply to Thread