+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: The Care and Feeding of a PvP Healer

Default The Care and Feeding of a PvP Healer

I see a million and one gripes about the lack of healers in PvP, and not enough people addressing the reasons why. I'm new here, but not new to healing in Rift-style PvP. Let me help y'all out:

People don't play PvP healers in Rift because nobody wants to spend half their game in respawn.
    I like being a healer in PvP. I find it challenging and enjoyable. I don't like being left for dead by ego-centric DDs after they get what they want from me. I don't like being raged at by some idiot who Leroys into a pile of the opposite faction and somehow expects me to miraculously keep him up when I'm slept and silenced. It makes me want to switch roles and bash heads myself, which leaves every one else without heals.

So, let's talk bout how to avoid that. First, let's talk about what I can and cannot do; then, let's talk about what you can do to help me, so I can get down to the business of helping you.

Things I can do to avoid death:
    • Stat HP and dodge in my gear. This makes me harder to land a hit on and harder to take down. It also means I have less MP, which means you need to do your part to not eat it up in 2 minutes (see "What you can do to help keep me alive").
    • Self-heal. That means sometimes I'll be healing me instead of you when things heat up, which means sometimes, you're gonna die. Deal with it.
    • Kite. I can run around like a freakin' maniac, which makes me harder to catch, and harder to kill. This causes two problems - my big heals have cast times, so they don't work while in motion, and I get zerged a lot, including stuns and snares, so sometimes kiting is impossible.

Things I cannot do:
    • Heal with no MP. If I can watch the HP bars of the entire raid, you can watch one person's MP bar.
    • Heal while CCd. I can't heal myself (or you) while I'm silenced/stunned/slept/transmorphed.
    • Heal while dead. I know this sounds silly, but if you let me die, I can no longer help you.
    • Teleport magically across the map to you. That's right, if you let me die, you're on your own. You have to wait for me to respawn, re-fill my bars, rebuff, mount up, and run to you. This takes time - time you might not have. Easiest way to get around it is not to let me die in the first place.

Things you can (and should) do to help me help you:
    • Check me out. That's right, look at me. Keep an eye on my HP/MP bars. Watch my debuffs. Make sure I'm okay back here.
    • Pot. Use whatever tools you have when you can to help me conserve my MP, so I have it when you actually need it.
    • Don't abandon me. If we're getting zerged, you can bet your butt I'm target #1. I'll be CCd to the max, and being hit with both melee and magical attacks. I might be able to pop a heal or dispel off on you, but that doesn't mean it's okay to run away and leave me to die.
    • Dont' abuse me. You die in PvP because some one is trying to kill you, not because I didn't do my job. You DD types only have to look out for yourself and the guy you're smacking. I'm responsible for you and every one else in our raid; I'm a healer, not a super-hero.

So there it is. Sounds simple, but it's been surprisingly uncommon in my short stint here. Just because I can heal doesn't mean I have to. Do your part to make healing in PvP a more enjoyable experience for your healers, and I bet you'll see a lot more of us around.
    Last edited by efitall; 12-29-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Rift Disciple

Good advice, but from what I've seen on derpstrike, wolfsbane, and now seastone battle groups... a solid 90-95% of the people your addressing won't ever see this or know that there is even a pvp forum.
    Last edited by xAerose; 12-29-2011 at 01:03 PM.

I do quite a bit of pvp healing myself, but I don't consider myself to be some sacred cow just because I put out green numbers. We all contribute in our own way; being healers does not make us special. I heal because I like to, not because I want to receive praise or special treatment.

When was the last time you thanked a DD for dealing 40 KBs in a warfront?

Thought so...
    Strawberryfields L3X High Elf Mage@Bloodiron-EU (currently playing)
    Mercenary Krool L60 Mathosian Warrior@Bloodiron-EU (currently playing)
    Marshall Raynedrops L60 High Elf Cleric@Bloodiron-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Raynedrops View Post
    I do quite a bit of pvp healing myself, but I don't consider myself to be some sacred cow just because I put out green numbers. We all contribute in our own way; being healers does not make us special. I heal because I like to, not because I want to receive praise or special treatment.

Thought so...
    I'm assuming you didn't actually read what I wrote, given that your post has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. It's got nothing to do with being an uppity porcelain doll who can't get my hands dirty. I have no issue being FFd - that's part of healing. I have no issue dying - that's part of PvP. I do have an issue being a support class with no support.

I'm not asking for thanks - I'm asking for people to do their jobs so I can do mine, and that includes watching my *** so I can watch theirs. It's part of working on a team.

I think that's more than reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by xAerose View Post
    Good advice, but from what I've seen on derpstrike, wolfsbane, and now seastone battle groups... a solid 90-95% of the people your addressing won't ever see this or know that there is even a pvp forum.
    Sad, but true...

What's funny is I actually had a guy call me an effing c*** because I wouldn't switch role back to heal after they literally turned tail and ran and left me to be zerged a few times, then told me I sucked as a healer because I couldn't stay alive... with 8 people on me, all alone... yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by efitall View Post
    I'm assuming you didn't actually read what I wrote, given that your post has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. It's got nothing to do with being an uppity porcelain doll who can't get my hands dirty. I have no issue being FFd - that's part of healing. I have no issue dying - that's part of PvP. I do have an issue being a support class with no support.

I'm not asking for thanks - I'm asking for people to do their jobs so I can do mine, and that includes watching my *** so I can watch theirs. It's part of working on a team.

I think that's more than reasonable.
    Perhaps I didn't, but the wording of the topic suggested to me that you believe healers are somehow entitled to special treatment, which is what I mainly disagree with.

Anyhow, no hard feelings - although I think you're simply QQing and trying to mask it behind a meticulously drawn set of insights and "instructions" that are supposed to make you appear measured and rational.

now wait a minute... i thought clerics were the OP godmode class???

or at least thats what the people on the forum keep telling me
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 12-30-2011 at 04:47 PM.

I may not agree 100% with everything, but I do hate when people can't be bothered to help out even a little bit when it comes to healers. There have been times I wouldn't have died had I had a little back up. I remember one time we were at dex and at least 5 people on our team were there. I'm ganked by 2 DPSers because everyone else was focusing on their warrior tank >_<. In the end, we lost dex . The only good news is that now I'm R5 I find myself being much harder to kill. I'm full warden/temp spec and I can last through a whole lot given that they don't have R8 fire mages or stacked MM. I find myself tanking by healing a lot more these days. Either way, anyone who tries to kill people who are on me gets first priority in my heals (or if you are another healer) and I remember names. It's been better recently though.
    Last edited by Fizzypop; 12-30-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Rift Chaser

I play a pure healer in PvP sometimes when we lack them on our side or/and the otherside is all p6-p8 (I'm P4).
    I use positioning, LoS, kiting, and a couple other strategies to keep enemies away from me.

I usually end up in the bottom 5[out of 20] lowest damage taken. Top 1-3 heals, depending on if I am in a match of people who majorly outgear me or not. My team is usually pretty good about keeping me alive.

I just stay near the back (but usually not the last person, so I don't stick out) of my group, and heal. ST Heals are a bit low because I am a 51ward, but my AoE heals help out drastically. I cast a couple heals, maybe a CD or two if need be, on myself if I am targeted by a strong DPS, and run in to my group - they take care of him quickly.

If people used /target more instead of trying to click me(since I am more than likely one of the top marks) when I am in the midst of my group, I would probably drop more often.
    But I seem to be one of the few people who constantly takes advantage of the /target command. Typing fast and multi-tasking helps me do it efficiently in the midst of combat. Although I usually don't use it when I am playing the healer.

Overall, I don't usually have issues dieing constantly. I stick with the group, or with people who I know will back me up (i.e. I very rarely pocket heals randoms), I play smart, and I like to think that I play pretty well.

If someone **** talks to anyone, then I go out of my way to not help them. I also ignore them. Just because they are bad at PvP doesn't mean I have to fret over them crying like a baby that their team sucks or the other team is messed up in the head or what-not. It is kinda amusing, though. It's also funny to see people claim their whole team sucks, but every single one of their leaderboard stats is pathetic.

<-- P4 Cleric, Defiant on Seastone.
    Last edited by TimeBomb; 12-30-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Banned

Perhaps I didn't, but the wording of the topic suggested to me that you believe healers are somehow entitled to special treatment, which is what I mainly disagree with.

Anyhow, no hard feelings - although I think you're simply QQing and trying to mask it behind a meticulously drawn set of insights and "instructions" that are supposed to make you appear measured and rational.
    You didnt even read the post. Shutup

Ascendant

Thought so...
    Hmm. I didn't get "look at me, I'm special". I got what the DD crowd is always clamoring for...team play. So a healer ASKS for some support and you give him this?

And you want healers nerfed no doubt. Because they should REQUIRE support. From people like you, I'd assume.

Sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BiologicalBabes View Post
    You didnt even read the post. Shutup
    I read enough.

I just don't like these neatly formatted "educational" posts. It's nothing personal against the OP - I simply disagree and am stating why.

If all you can do is to tell me to shut up, then you might as well shut up yourself...

I made a thread just like this. and then...

nothing changed.
    i think if all the lazy people who get lead would stop clicking for a sec and pass lead to someone who can mark healers. wf's would be a dif experience. <--- only thing that MIGHT change
    P8rogue P7mage P5warrior

I SUPPORT ARENA FOR RIFT

Quote Originally Posted by Valarcrist View Post
    I made a thread just like this. and then...

nothing changed.
    i think if all the lazy people who get lead would stop clicking for a sec and pass lead to someone who can mark healers. wf's would be a dif experience. <--- only thing that MIGHT change
    This is part of the reason I don't agree with the thread starter. You can't educate the rabble via the forums; the people who frequent this place most likely already know all this. It's like preaching to a bunch of preachers.

Prophet of Telara

You cant teach people how to pvp. Im aware of a certain guilds members who roll into WFs with their full relic HK sets and moan about not getting enough heals while at the same they never bother to even look wetha "their" healer has 2 rogues and a domi on them. For some reason even tho i also have a full relic set (but weapon.. unfortunately) I still for some "stupid" reason roll in my R8 gear so that i dont get insta shot. In short bad pvpers will remain bad no matter how good they can make their builds or macros.
    Last edited by Alex113; 12-31-2011 at 05:09 AM.

he DID get hit by a bus it seems

#1 Cleric World vanilla/preF2P SL. All Raids CQed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast