• 3 Post By Darkware
  • 1 Post By Bleeds
  • 1 Post By Qaedyan
  • 1 Post By Valarcrist
  • 1 Post By Kajib

Thread: I enjoy Rift's pvp.

Telaran

Default I enjoy Rift's pvp.

I don't care about when one side wins because of massive healing mainly because it happens an equal number of times on my side as well. I look at it like, you win some, you lose some. That's just how the ball rolls. Most of the time, such predicaments don't even happen.

I enjoy doing massive spike and aoe damage on my cleric. I enjoy healing sometimes. I enjoy my stone-running build for my rogue with all the planar shifts he has. I enjoy dpsing with Marksman. I enjoy Necrolock dpsing with my mage as well. If I liked melee and if my rogue was more geared, I'd probably like assassin as well. I generally do not enjoy pvping with my warrior however, but this is due to me not liking melee much at all, especially after Riftblade was made into a melee spec. (RIP patch 1.2 RB)

I don't find myself raging at Rift for class imbalances at all. For every rogue there is that sneaks up and 2 shots me, there's plenty of others I manage to kill myself. For every healer that heals, I find one alone that I can kill easily. At the end of the day, I find that I enjoy playing Rift's pvp. I think if I hated it, I'd quit, but I haven't. It's definitely a step up from other MMO pvping. There's also a large selection of pvp gear that is easily obtainable, which I like as well, and the grind is challenging, but not to the point where I want to rip my hair out. I think the large gap between r1 and r8 is a good thing, too.

Me too.

Also, if you want some perspective on Rift's PVP, go play TOR's.

Example: WTF, who just interrupted that spell and caused it to not go off like I intended? Oh, Bioware did.

A small tweak here, a little tweak there, a reason to world PvP or a world PvP zone with objectives that are solely pvp based and this would be my perfect game. Oh, I guess a little more fluff here and there. I am enjoying it very much. That is all.

I also love the pvp in rift. Your always going to have qqers about certain classes and specs. The problem is that after a year now there is nothing else to do. Forcing people to other games just because its new. Rift had awesome wpvp for a while probably best I've played in any mmo. Lack of communication to 1000's of requests have driven players away and now we have empty shards. Trion really needs to consolidate servers or its gonna keep driving players away. Perception goes a long way to peoples view if th games good and seeng no one in the open world doesn't make anyone feel like their having fun. I could care less at this point about balance trion needs to add an end game for the pvpers. Not saying everyone is done with the gear grind but trions loyal cutomer who've played since march are andthey are leaving by the truck load. Just need something new to bring them back. Unfortunately is leads to what drove them away whih is we don't know no one will respond in anyway to the forum posts so were all in the dark and the dev q&a still hvent even shed a little light on the matter. Problem is the best pvp game is only as good as the comptition you play against and right now there is barely anyone to compete against.
    ...In for a penny in for a pound...

Prophet of Telara

It's weird, the PvP in Rift is actually very good. My disappointment is that all we have is Warfronts.

It's like getting all the ingredients for a world-class meal together, and then tossing them all in a deep-fat fryer for 4 hours.

That's always been my beef. It's a great engine, the balancing, given the amount of spec diversity really is pretty damn good. For awhile, and probably still, you had some really great players.

But I think my metaphor I used before is pretty accurate. Rift PVP is like having football, but where the teams are randomly drawn before every game (in fact you're actively impeded FROM putting together a whole team) and then going against a group that did the same. And not only are the teams drawn randomly, but they're being pulled from pools of highschool, college, and NFL players.

The rules of football aren't the problem, the field isn't the problem. The problem is that in Rift PVP as it is can never evolve much past the inability to easily play as a group vs other groups, and the fact that the wrong people are playing the wrong people.

If you had a game of football like I described above do you think you'd see games won by subtle strategy/etc? Or would it be more often decided by whether or not the guy guarding the NFL wide receiver is a pimply faced high school kid? Only when, in a game like Rift that has STATED it's based on team play, you're able to form consistent full teams that you play with every night (just like raiding) and you're able to easily match yourself upagainst other consistent full teams at a similar level of gear/experience will more compelling, higher level play emerge.

They've done a great job on the stuff that's 90% of it, fixing the problems above should take a fraction of the time you've ALREADY put in. You do this, and you'll have a vibrant, sustainable PVP community for years to come.
    Last edited by Bleeds; 12-29-2011 at 02:55 PM.

I LOVE Rift PvP TOO!
    P8rogue P7mage P5warrior

I SUPPORT ARENA FOR RIFT

i like the pvp aswell but the favor grind is really annoying. i dont mind the prestige one but getting all that favor is a pain >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Darkware View Post
    I generally do not enjoy pvping with my warrior
    LoL
    Best line ever.

Overall, I too enjoy the PvP in Rift, now that they're working on alleviating the huge gear disparities between starting and established toons.

Not to say that some improvement isn't needed though. The first things that pop into mind would be more content (i.e. RvR / open world PvP zones) and maybe some form of structured PvP (i.e. premade vs premade, possibly with some form of rating system).

Balance issues, to me, are mostly "Meh, whatever". After 7+ years of playing this type of game, I don't expect much in regards to balance.

I enjoy the pvp, especially pugging warfronts, I don't find to much fun in group queues, I like things disorganized and chaotic, but that's simply preference.

I actually believe the community is to thank for the somewhat better balance in warfronts, not from the the threads asking for nerfs, but because so many good high level pvpers have left the game. The players that moved on have actually thinned out the R8s in warfronts, allowing lower ranks to develop, not by design of course.

I also believe the forums would be more active screaming for more nerfs or whatever they scream about if all the R8s in the game still played, and perhaps rightfully so. I would suspect that you might see twice as many R8s as you do now (if they were all still active) in each warfront. That would certainly still be problematic for lower ranks and the implications overall would most likely be many. So I'll hold my thanks to Trion for the time being.

It's great.

/thread
    Last edited by Trivet; 12-30-2011 at 06:26 AM.
    "Man Plans, God Laughs." - Yiddish Proverb

RIFT pvp is great, and I love all the warfronts, and I don't mind the grind up the prestige ladder, it keeps the attention deficit noobs below me that lack any form of dedication. Plus I'm a hardcore raider that rocks noobs with raid trinkets/weapons/gear. Keep up the good job TRION.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

+ Reply to Thread