+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By the_real_seebs
  • 1 Post By Kaelani

Thread: Direct heals flag PVP?!?

Shadowlander

Default Direct heals flag PVP?!?

Why would casting a direct heal flag me for PVP?!? It's the only time I ever target another player. I play on a PVE server because I don't want Open World PVP. But all too often during an invasion, I get ganked by some (insert nice word here) defiant rogue. It's always a rogue, go figure. Why is this allowed to happen? Is there a setting some where that I can set which will not allow actions that will flag me? I don't ever want to be flagged in Open World. If I have an urge to PVP, I'll go to Warfront.

There is a setting in combat for "PvP auto flag". Because someone at Trion hates PvE players, it is turned on by default even on PvE servers, even though everyone complains.

That said, it's also buggy last I checked; there are ways to get flagged even with that setting unchecked. I sent in at least one detailed reproducer as a bug report, but I've not yet seen anything indicating they've fixed it.

I think this is an area where Trion could do better. It appears that the implementation of PvP auto-flag is such that it's easy for things to bypass it. My thought would be that there is almost certainly some point in the code at which a flag is actually applied, and the correct thing to do would be to make a check there, so that no matter how buggy anything else is, people who have that unchecked don't get flagged. (Worried that this could lead to exploits? Well. Make the check raise an alarm/log an event whenever it trips, on the grounds that if the rest of the auto-flag related code is working correctly, you'll never trip it.)
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Chaser

Yes there is a setting in settins which will stop this from happening. It's 'never flag' or something like that.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the info. I found the PVP auto flag and unchecked it. Hopefully that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Espan View Post
    Thanks for the info. I found the PVP auto flag and unchecked it. Hopefully that will help.
    Now, the only downside is that if you try to heal a raid member, and they are PvP flagged, it won't let you heal them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelani View Post
    Now, the only downside is that if you try to heal a raid member, and they are PvP flagged, it won't let you heal them.
    You say downside, I say valuable learning experience for them.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    You say downside, I say valuable learning experience for them.
    Maybe "downside" was the wrong term.
    Healers (myself included) are an odd bunch.

If you see a raid member dying, and you can't do anything about it... that causes most healers to stress out a bit.
    You take it personally if you let them down and they die. (even if you couldn't do anything about it.)

I'm not saying it's the correct thing to do.
    It's just the empathetic nature of the healing mindset.

Ahh, see, I'm lucky. I love healing, but I have no empathy. So I can just sorta watch them inexplicably fall down.

Something I really like about the rift community: I'm on a PvE server. Most people have auto-flag off by now. Someone in a zone event raid was not getting healed, because he was flagged. He yelled about lack of heals, someone asked whether he was flagged. He said he was, and he didn't know about that, and thanked them for explaining. Everyone was friendly.

Was a nice change from Some Places I've Been.

it needs fixed. when your in a raid and pvp flagged it wont heal you (and i mean araid instance)
    Now known as Menthol of galena.
    my spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...uhcV.xxoAksqxk
    Wolfsbane =worst shard.

+ Reply to Thread